Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by davylah
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Discussion
Show us your GWS Cargotrans

Has anyone done anything special with their GWS Cargotrans? Here's a few pictures of mine done in the style of an RAF C130-K. Stand by for further pics of my 2nd Cargotrans as a stretched RAF C130-J!

davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by herk1
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,750 Posts
davylah - Nice job...wow, you've got it decked out with 4-bladed props, lights, and a working ramp! Looks like the props are the snap-together ones from KP Aero?...are they the 85x45 or the 85x60? And how does the stock brushed motor fare on those props? I was planning on using 12mm brushless inrunners on mine...I tested them with the 4-bladers and it does use more amps than the stock 3x2 two-blader; and quite a bit more with the 60-pitch. Have you flown it yet?
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:37 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Hi, thanks for your comments. Yes it has flown, and it doesn't seem any different from stock, possibly a slight reduction in flight time. You're right, it's the snap together props from KP, 45mm pitch. I checked it on a test stand and it was drawing just under 3 Amps static at max power, with a fully charged 2s LiPo, compared to the stock prop's 2.2 Amps. I'm fairly new to electrics, so I wouldn't know what to advise as far as brushless is concerned. If you do manage to get a successfull setup though, please let me know.
I've just finished stretching my 2nd Cargotrans fuselage. It's now 60mm longer at the back, and 70mm longer at the front. I'm working on a retractable gear system for it, and have just had 8 more KP props delivered to cut down into the 6 blade 'J' props in my last picture.
Stay tuned!
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Joined Jun 2009
167 Posts
Just finished up with my first GWS Cargotrans.

I have yet to fly it, but I'm concerned... I did reinforce it, but I think I made it a tad too heavy for the small motors in it. We'll see. I do have an extra sitting here which will go brushless depending on the outcome of this. But for now, here she is:
MrEvoMan is offline Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures of my 'Stretch'. I started last summer but got held up with work and having a baby, but now she's out of the cupboard again.
This is it just before paint, showing the blue foam plugs. They are to scale, and give the correct length of stretch for a British Hercules C130J

Here it is just after paint and before decals.

And here with my standard length C130K to show stretch!

Stand by for more pictures and maybe a test flight, weather permitting.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of the 'Stretch' It's all finished, complete with strobes, beacons landing lights and retractable gear! Just waiting for some good weather and we'll see if it flies!

Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
641 Posts
Iaf c130

Here's my C130 version in IAF colors. 5 channels including flaps. Flies nice too.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos