HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:10 PM
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Help!
hyperion 0606i

I have a Hyperion 0606i charger and I am not clear if it is working correctly. I charged a new 2200mah 3s 20C Lipo, it ran for more than a hour then it started beeping saying it was over charged, Do I need to Discharge the battery all the way down and the recharge it. It also looks like the cell are not balanced. I have read the Manual on the charger and it is very vague on balancing the pack. I have it hooked up to the external balance board. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bruferrit is offline Find More Posts by Bruferrit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:18 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
What were the charging parameters you selected?
What are the pack and individual cell voltages now?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:12 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,608 Posts
Also, what is the brand of the battery, and are you using the appropriate balance adapter?
BobRCnut is online now Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Glen, 2200mah (2.2A) 3S. I will have to check the cell voltage tonight when I'm home to give you the numbers.

BobRCnut, I used the balance adapter that matched the multi wire plug end. I do have 2 boards and will double check them & post tonight. I can post pictures of the boards.

The battery is new and I have only charged it twice. the second time i charged it is when I got the beeping and the over voltage on the screen.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
The Hyperion does not have the balance feature on the menu. So right now I'm discharging it down to 3.85 v per cell for storage.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:28 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,116 Posts
Bruferrit,

Hyperion EOS 0606i manual is here (although I see that You have read it):

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/EOS0...)-A-MAN-EN.pdf

If You can see the individual cells voltage when You select Data display (and then press Dec or Inc key to see more) You will see if and when all cells has reached 4.20 volt (=fully charged).

Just try to charge Your 2200 mAh 3 cell LiPo with 3S selected:
Battery type: LiPo
Capacity, C=2200 mAh (this assumes 1C charge current, in this case it will be 2.200 mA)
Cells in series, S = 3S

When charging has begun You switch to Data display mode:
Press Batt Type button and You will see the data display, then press Inc or Dec button to see the various data screens until You see the cells voltage.
Watch during the charge how cell voltage increase until 4.20 volt is reached and then charge is finished.
Also watch for: "Lithium types when connected to a balancer will alternately show CHG / BLC at the top left while charging, and CHG /BLC /END when finished charging.

I have this charger(using it for my smaller depron flying planes in winter), I have also (two) larger Hyperion EOS 720i SuperDuo 3 charger that has more advanced settings and display during charging.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Thanks Bossee, the battery pack did charge till the charger beeped and it said END in the upper left of the screen. I tried to got to Lipo Store (storage) on the charger and all I could cycle thru is charge and discharge mode there was no Storage mode. Were there 0606i versions that did not have that mode?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,116 Posts
Hyperion EOS 0606i has storage mode.
When You press Batt Type button and LiPo is shown then press Inc button until Yoy see STORE.
Also Watch this video how to set this charger to storage mode:
How to store charge a LiPo pack using the Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC Charger (3 min 20 sec)

/Bo
Old Jul 27, 2014, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Bossee. I followed that video when I push the inc button it only goes up to discharge and no further. I push the dec button and it only goes down to charge. So there are only 2 options charge and discharge. Remember this is a DC only with no AC as I have an external power supply.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,116 Posts
I tested mine, if I run it on DC 12 volt source I can still select STORE.

I suppose You have an older EOS0606i then that has not the STORE feature.
To bad since one really need Storage mode on a charger these days.

Then You have to check the cell voltage, and when they are at around 3.80-3.90 volt (approx 60% capacity) it should be good enough for storage so You can store the LiPo.

/Bo
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
mine is strictly DC only no AC.