HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:17 AM
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Help!
Turnigy Talon Tricopter parts list - Will it fly?

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I've gained more interest in building a multicopter. In my case, I decided to focus on a tricopter. I decided to base my system on the Turnigy Talon Tricopter frame kit, as I have read and seen it consists of reasonable/good quality materials. I also don't like building my own wooden frame :P

If you have some time, could you please take a look at my parts list and see if there's anything to improve? General tips are also appreciated. Anything is welcome I included prices and such in my Excel file in order to gain an insight in the costs of my project. Feel free to use the file for your own builds etc. if you'd like to!

The file can be viewed online here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hcywzev5c...ter%20BOM.xlsx

Today I updated the parts list and I changed the 5000mAh 3S Zippy battery with a 3300 4S mAh Turnigy battery. I also switched out the 28-30 NTM motors for some 28-26 NTM motors. I hope these changes will help improve flight time, and especially the 4S battery should add some additional power to the system.

Thanks in advance,

Willem
willemnz is online now Find More Posts by willemnz
Last edited by willemnz; Jul 18, 2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Updated BOM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Anyone? I updated the parts list, and changed the battery + motors. For details, please read the above post. Thank you!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:44 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,945 Posts
OK, couple of things....

Tri-copters seem to be popular with beginners - yeah, I did one also - but TBH I would recommend you to go with a cheap quad frame.
The Yaw mech is not super robust and the servos - even metal geared ones - fail easily after a poor 'landing'.
That's also an expensive frame....
Would recommend a cheap frame such as this or this with a spare arm.

The Plush ESC's are OK, but most peeps go for ATmega based ESC's as the firmware can be updated (see here and here) to give better performance.
Typical ATmega ESC's are these and these or these (last ones are already flashed)
The Plush ESC's can be updated to BLheli firmware

Oh yeah: buy more props !
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jul 18, 2014, 05:41 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Aug 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike barton View Post
ok, couple of things....

Tri-copters seem to be popular with beginners - yeah, i did one also - but tbh i would recommend you to go with a cheap quad frame.
The yaw mech is not super robust and the servos - even metal geared ones - fail easily after a poor 'landing'.
That's also an expensive frame....
Would recommend a cheap frame such as this or this with a spare arm.

Oh yeah: buy more props !

...+1 !
Mrhide is online now Find More Posts by Mrhide
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to step off the Talon frame and go for the HobbyKing X666 Quadcopter frame. It's about $70 cheaper (EU warehouse prices) so even though I have to add an additional motor, prop mount and ESC, the costs are still $40 lower or so.

Since I'm now going quad I'm probably upgrading the battery to something between 4000-5000mAh, Probably a 4S battery but I'm also considering 3S since it's lower in weight. Any tips on that? I think the motors and ESC are fine as they are now, the ESCs have 20% play.