HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 02, 2013, 07:02 AM
Registered User
kingconsulting's Avatar
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Seen a few of those around. I'm on a 47" Osiris and wish I got the larger one but wasn't sure I was going to like pattern stuff. Of course I was wrong. Working on building a 2m one but won't be ready this year.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Thanks. Hobby King Airoso, 62". I wish I had a 2 meter plane. The first place winner did.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:33 AM
"Get off the runway!"
Da Big_G's Avatar
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Seen a few of those around. I'm on a 47" Osiris and wish I got the larger one but wasn't sure I was going to like pattern stuff. Of course I was wrong. Working on building a 2m one but won't be ready this year.

Robert
Kind of addicting, isn't it?...Some of the guys at the field don't see the beauty of a properly executed 4 point roll. Which 2 meter are you building? The 47" Osiris is nice, but too small for anything but playing or practicing new moves. It would be a spec at competition altitudes. My 62" Airoso can be a bit hard to see at 350-400 feet. I may buy a second Airoso and strip the covering and do my own scheme and it will be a back-up, unless I find a cheap used 2 meter plane first..
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:11 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
115 Posts
Great job! Rising to the challenge can be very rewarding.

Check out the NRCA. They are the SIG for pattern and you are in D6. The VP for that area is Brian Clemmens. Contact him and he can probably point you to some other Pattern pilots in your area. D6 is a huge area but having some buddies to practice with speeds up the learning and adds to the fun.

http://NSCRA.US

Another great resource and good guy

http://pages.suddenlink.net/donramsey/
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2013, 07:40 PM
Registered User
kingconsulting's Avatar
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Yeah my son makes fun of me because all I do when I fly is the maneuvers. I just find it relaxing and fun. I think it has helped me be a better pilot.

I'm building a Lightning from plans. Have all the wood and the foam wing. Started some on it but have a few other planes on my workbench that I'm trying to finish first.

Don't care for the color scheme on the Airoso but it's a good price and looks like it flies well. Probably the same price once it's outfitted as my Osiris but a larger size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Kind of addicting, isn't it?...Some of the guys at the field don't see the beauty of a properly executed 4 point roll. Which 2 meter are you building? The 47" Osiris is nice, but too small for anything but playing or practicing new moves. It would be a spec at competition altitudes. My 62" Airoso can be a bit hard to see at 350-400 feet. I may buy a second Airoso and strip the covering and do my own scheme and it will be a back-up, unless I find a cheap used 2 meter plane first..
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
Registered User
carlnoki's Avatar
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Dec 2010
272 Posts
There ya go Da,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
you should be very proud of your first entry and getting 3rd is nothing to sneeze at. When I was
starting out, I too, also had a hard time in keeping the speed down and flying OUT and keeping it there. It is just a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. ALSO, a good thing to do is trace out the BOX LINES at your local field and have someone call for you and brief them on how/where to look while you fly the pattern.
carlnoki is offline Find More Posts by carlnoki
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2013, 01:54 PM
"Get off the runway!"
Da Big_G's Avatar
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnoki View Post
There ya go Da,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
you should be very proud of your first entry and getting 3rd is nothing to sneeze at. When I was
starting out, I too, also had a hard time in keeping the speed down and flying OUT and keeping it there. It is just a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. ALSO, a good thing to do is trace out the BOX LINES at your local field and have someone call for you and brief them on how/where to look while you fly the pattern.
I will do that. Thanks.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:14 AM
Registered User
HouseOf4Doors's Avatar
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
161 Posts
If you're interested in competing in AMA Pattern, it might be a good idea to monitor the pattern boards at RC Universe (Google: "RC Universe Pattern").as the participants there lean heavily toward the competition side.
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Competition Hastings, NE Saturday, May 14th 2011 - Hastings Skylarks SPA-Like Pattern Competition rohdem Fuel Power Events 0 Apr 08, 2011 07:46 PM
Video Josh Ziering pattern competition dead stick landing Throwdown Fuel Plane Talk 0 Jan 19, 2009 09:09 PM
Discussion Let's talk about Competition Pattern Flying. 2Sunny Sport Planes 1 Jun 20, 2008 10:15 PM
Discussion AGS Pattern Competition Jim Carr Site Chat 2 Jul 31, 2006 10:38 PM
New to Pattern Competition seamus0g Competition Aerobatics 3 Dec 28, 2002 02:06 PM