Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:03 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Dunedin
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Build Log
Task Force 144 - The Tale of Two Frigates

The story started during our major club event of the year in early February. Myself and another club and forum member (delboyandrodney) were chatting away about what we would do for ANZAC Day, roughly 10 weeks away. Traditionally the club sails warships on the pond on this day, which commemorates the landing of Australian and New Zealand troops on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915.

Neither of us had any warships ready for sailing. Delboy has a half completed scratch build of the offshore patrol vessel HMNZS Otago but that wouldn't be ready in time. At the same time I had been looking at the simple girder like plans often seen in Model Boat magazine from the likes of Glyn Guest and Eris kennedy.

A plan was soon hatched to build the never built Type 24 frigate based on Glyn Guest's Paladin plan. As one of our club members had previously built the Arleigh Burke design there was much discussion around the pond on the stability of such narrow vessels. This particular member had found his to be very unstable and had to add about 50 mm to the keel to make it stable. We decided to err on the side of caution and add 30 mm to the depth of our keels - mine eneded up being about 40 mm as I used 9 mm balsa for the deck and keel.

Now to set the scene this was the first ever boat I had built - not even a kit had been attempted before. Delboy has completed a couple of kit builds before and has some experience with scratch building. Ten weeks seemed like quite a long time - no worries. The kitchen table was the shipyard for the start of the build. SWMBO didn't seem to mind and only on a couple of occasions was the build required to be moved to make way for domestic activities like eating at the dining table. Our six year old was much more curious and during the first stages - at least until painting sent the build to the garage - would wake up and cast his eyes over the previous nights endeavours.

This was a fun build and we swapped notes and would send sms pictures via smart phones as we progressed through the various stages. There was the odd bit of friendly rivalry that went on as well - for instance when delboy announced that he had upgraded to a brass 5 blade prop I just had to do the same. Of course there are some variations in our two ships - but I'll let the photos tell that story.

The fun part was trying to decide on the names of our two ships. As they were never actually built we had quite a bit of leeway in choosing names. Here wikipedia and the history of Royal Navy frigates was invaluable. We spent one night trawling through old names of frigates trying to find something suitable. In the end we settled on the Type 15 frigates of 1950-1970's. I chose HMS Troubridge as I remember the radio series with which it is associated while delboy chose HMS Relentless. (I'll let delboy explain the different pennant number).

The ships were completed on time and on budget (well maybe). Troubridge had sailing trials in the 6yo's bath while Relentless managed to get some seatrials in the pond before ANZAC Day. It had been raining for about a week before ANZAC Day so were a little worried about the weather - the drizzle of the dawn service turned to a nice afternoon and a great afternoon sailing was had.

I'll post some of the 'built' photos with this post and add some more of the construction photos over the next few days.

In Company by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7524 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7507 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7506 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7500 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7495 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7480 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7475 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7473 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7466 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7457 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7455 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7449 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7429 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7405 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7400 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7399 by White Anglia, on Flickr

IMG_7370 by White Anglia, on Flickr
Antipodes is offline Find More Posts by Antipodes
Last edited by Antipodes; Apr 28, 2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: More pics added.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Construction....

The first step was to add to the plans our additional depth and then work out how much bigger the bulkheads were going to be.

Plan 1 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Plan 2 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Plan 3 by White Anglia, on Flickr

The first piece cut was the foredeck.

Build 1 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Here you can see the first variation from the plan as a result of the extra keel depth. I have made a much longer stem piece so that it will have more surface area for adhesion to the keel. From memory the first bulkhead that joins the stem piece was cut rather rough and sanded to fit.

Build 2 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Basic hull completed - I don't think the aft keel section is glued in this and the next photo as the transom is still not fitted.

Build 3 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Alongside an Australian Customs Vessel 'Ethel' at the same stage.

Build 4 by White Anglia, on Flickr
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:46 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Joined May 2010
1,737 Posts
Nicely done
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Photo Credits

Just a note to say that the photos of the two ships sailing on the pond were also taken be delboyandrodney!!
Last edited by Antipodes; Apr 29, 2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Forgot a couple of words.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Construction of Troubridge...contd.

Motor installation. Both ships have MFA 385 motors driving 5 blade 30mm Raboesch props.

Build 5 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Prop alignment - Milliput was used on both sides of the keel to seal the propshaft. Crikey that stuff goes hard, but more about that later!!

Build 6 by White Anglia, on Flickr

This photo shows the prop shaft and rudder. I'm not happy about this part. As you can see the prop shaft is too close to the bottom of the hull. During intial motor running in the test tank water was coming up the rudder post, most probably being driven up by the prop being so close.

Build 7 by White Anglia, on Flickr

In hindsight I should have made a better support for the rudder.

Build 8 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 9 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Rudder servo is an Eurgle 16-02A. The receiver is is also an Eurgle 3 channel bound to a Turnigy 9X transmitter.

Build 11 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 12 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Things didn't always go to plan. At one point I got a bit too agressive with the sanding prior to putting the sides on. A quick patch with a bit of balsa - some gentle sanding and it was as good as new.

Build 13 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 14 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Like I said before - that Milliput goes really hard - felt like forever sanding before I got this part right.

Build 15 by White Anglia, on Flickr

A bit of coaming added.

Build 16 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Another mistake - apparently there is a reason dope comes in glass bottles. Most of the dope was able to be saved!!

Build 17 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Here is another point where we differed from the 'plan'. Instead of balsa sides we both skinned the sides of the hulls with 2mm plywood. Port side done!!

Build 18 by White Anglia, on Flickr

I was never happy with the rudder support - thankfully delboy just keep pushing me on when I got frustrated with it.

Build 19 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 20 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Another deviation was to fiberglass the whole hull. I'd never done any fibre glassing prior to this. Here is how to apply just the right amout of weight to the overhanging cloth.

Build 21 by White Anglia, on Flickr

I wasn't happy with the stem. Message from delboy - use more epoxy!!

Build 23 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Completed hull.

Build 24 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Now lets see if it leaks!!

Build 25 by White Anglia, on Flickr
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:22 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
3,948 Posts
Nice builds! And tutorial.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:04 PM
leaky bill
Parksville BC
Joined Jul 2007
214 Posts
Frigates for FUN !!!

Greetings Antipodes...

I viewed your post with great interest for two reasons, first you appear to place FUN as your build priority and that has been my priority for the past 8 years...and secondly you are building FREELANCE ( non replica ) designs...
my passion.

The two frigates look great on the water and I am confident they provide hours of fun..

I build a similar type of model...although I have three models the one I have most fun with is the 6 ft hull with interchangeable decks/superstructures. I am sure with both of our fleets awash the rivet counters are looking for the tylenol...LOL

All my models use the ROBBE 755/40 motor with 40 amp ESC...12 volt SLA batteries...all perform well...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1035606...030/Freelancer

Cheers from Canada

the FREELANCE FANATIC
leaky bill is offline Find More Posts by leaky bill
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Hi Bill,

You have a great looking fleet, and by the looks of it a great pond to go sailing on. My eyes are sore from trying to work out which superstructure is on which hull.

I think there is a place for all types of model builders, including those who want to build to exact specifications. (so says the newbie who has built just one boat). The hobby can cater for all.

For me it was the challenge that delboy and I set ourselves. I've got a few kits that I will try and build as close to the original as I can but I don't intend to spend hours of time pouring over photos to get it exactly right. Good enough is good enough.

For some the FUN is in the building and I have no problem with that. I have a six year old boy and he doesn't yet have the patience to understand how long some detailed boats take to get built. The FUN is in the sailing. Also I think some potential club members can be put off becoming involved in the hobby if their introduction is a club member explaining about their very accurate replica ship that took two years to build and is valued at $2000.

They are much more likely to get involved if it took 10 weeks and cost under $200.

Kind wish,

Bruce
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Nice work Bruce, can you tell me where you got your rudders?

Thanks-

Bob
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post
Nice work Bruce, can you tell me where you got your rudders?

Thanks-

Bob
Hi Bob,

Motors, rudders, props, shafts, couplings, pennant numbers and flags all came from Cornwall Model Boats.

The Eurgle receiver and servo came from a site in the US but I can't remember the name.

Kind wish,

Bruce
Old May 08, 2013, 02:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
F485

hi all, i thought it was about time i added to this build log.

after being approcached with the idea of building a frigate in 10 weeks i was a bit unsure of whether it could be done to a high enough standard to be taken along to our clubs anzac day warship running session and to be pround enough to cal it your own. well after coming down to the last hours i can say im certainly a happy sailor having built this glynn guest frigate. i think alot can be learnt from undertaking these simple builds, new skills trialled and most importantly alot of fun had in the process.

id recommend these simple builds to anyone wanting to take step back after major build or just getting started the hobby.

here are some photos from my build of F485. i must appologise for the quality of the photos as they are taken on a mobile phone.

thanks to antipodes for twisting my arm to do this build and making it great fun
delboyandrodney is offline Find More Posts by delboyandrodney
Old May 08, 2013, 05:10 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2008
120 Posts
Not unnaturally I read this article with interest. The pleasure that the construction and operation of these models has given is rewarding to read.
However, I must point out that if built and outfited as designed and discribed in the magazine article, the Paladin model is stable and reliable. This plan, as indeed are all that bear my name, are drawn up only after testing the model, sometimes in quite a brutal fashion I might add.
Problems with stability are usually caused by changes to construction which add extra top wieght, would you believe things like using solid lumps of dense hardwood for superstructures and funnels? Likewise, poor internal installations such as gell cells mounted upright rather than laid flat on the hull bottom, are not unknown. And, internal ballast can often be something quite unsuitable, I've seen stones used, loose ones at that!
Still, it was nice to hear of this success story.
Glynn Guest
GlynnG is offline Find More Posts by GlynnG
Old May 08, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnG View Post
Not unnaturally I read this article with interest. .......

Still, it was nice to hear of this success story.
Glynn Guest
Hi Glynn,

You should not consider our approach was a criticism of the stability of your Paladin build and plan. Far from it. It was more a reflection on our own (especially mine) inexperience in scratch building model ships. Our conservative approach - to add more depth - was done with the utmost respect.

Many more of these types of builds are planned - I have already started cutting out my CVE and have pretty much scoured the web for 144 scale Grumman fighters to go on the deck.

My copy of your book arrived a few weeks ago. My interest was the plan of the Brede type lifeboat on the cover. There is one of these based at the Nelson unit of the New Zealand Coastguard. Since the book arrived I've gotten interested in a few of the other plans in the book.

I think these are excellent plans and these type of builds facilitate an easy introduction into building model boats without spending a small fortune on a kit and getting frustrated on the detail.

Kind wish,

Bruce
Last edited by Antipodes; May 08, 2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Construction continued...

It was about time I completed the build photos...

The superstructure was made from 2mm play and balsa.

Build 26 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 27 by White Anglia, on Flickr

The funnel was made by laminating balsa together and shaping - it has a slight taper to match the mast.

Build 28 by White Anglia, on Flickr

The Mk 8 4.5" gun was also made with laminated balsa, the basic shaped was then created on a scroll saw.

Build 29 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 30 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Primer time

Build 31 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 32 by White Anglia, on Flickr

I learnt a valuable lesson at this point. I'd seen a few post and build logs where people had used polyfilla for filling in. I'd also seen build logs of people using wet and dry sand paper. The lesson was not to mix the two!!

Build 33 by White Anglia, on Flickr

At this stage it was starting to look quite good.

Build 34 by White Anglia, on Flickr

The barrel of the Mk8 was made from brass tube.

Build 35 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Another coat of primer...

Build 36 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Delboy and I were keen to get as much authentic information on the Type 15 frigates that the names were taken from. As luck would have it I found a web site with the ships call sign.

Build 37 by White Anglia, on Flickr

144 Scale planes are hard to find, helos even less so. There seem to be no Lynx kits in this scale. Some weeks of internet searching turned up nothing, then I managed to find a 144 scale Augusta Merlin. It was a Japanese MSDF version but would look the part once painted up.

Build 38 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Decks masked and painted.

Build 39 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Looking pretty smart..

Build 40 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Upper mast and funnel painted black.

Build 41 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Build 42 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Anti fouling painted

Build 43 by White Anglia, on Flickr

and the boot topping to follow.

Build 44 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Nice shiny 5 blade arrived from CMB just in time..

Build 45 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Along with some signal flags...

Build 46 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Time for a weigh in!!

Build 47 by White Anglia, on Flickr

And some sea trials before the big day.

Build 48 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Some friends came for a look see!!

Build 49 by White Anglia, on Flickr

It's the eve of the commissioning and the XO is looking pretty pleased.

Build 50 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Name - 3mm vinyls from CMB.

Build 51 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Just the helo to finish..

Build 52 by White Anglia, on Flickr

Looking even better...

Build 53 by White Anglia, on Flickr

As I've said previously we have really enjoyed building this model. Far from being our ANZAC day warship it is now our default boat for taking to the pond. However I might need to build another one as I rarely get to drive her with the XO reluctant to hand over the controls.

The XO has the ship!!

Build 54 by White Anglia, on Flickr