HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Help!
ESC Or Battery?

Hey,

Really stumped on this one. I purchased an E-Revo 2 days ago. Last night I put 2 brand new fresh charged batteries in. Ran it for 20 minutes or so, and I broke a yoke. Turned it off and came in the house. Completely forgot about it. I didn't unplug the batteries (my bad, I am new to RC's) . About 30 minutes later I hear cracking and hissing. Run over jut in time to grab the second lipo out. It blew the solder connection off of both red and black on the battery side of the traxas connector, and the negative connection on the esc. Esc is burnt.

Right now I can't figure out what happened. I had plasti dipped the esc, and thought I did a good job. But if I didn't I guess it's possible some water got in. But the esc was turned off. Batteries are on the cheaper side, they are Enrichpower 6000 50C's

I'm trying to figure out if I'm out $200 or $350 (replacing both lipo's as well) The one I saved was warm, never puffed and was able to balance charge it today no problem. I don't know if I should solder a new traxxas connection on the other battery and test it out, or throw it out.

Really appreciate any insight. I have searched all over and can't find anything about people who's esc's have fried while the car is switched off. Which leads me to think that one lipo shorted.
silverkm is offline Find More Posts by silverkm
Last edited by silverkm; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
It may have over discharged the lipo, even when "off" the ESC will still draw a bit of current from the packs. If it only took about 20 minutes then something probably shorted out.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Packs are still at 3.9 volts, just charged one no problem, soldered on the other one, charges fine.

Guessing a short, probably some water. Good excuse to upgrade to the Monster 2
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:13 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
3.9 volts per cell, or 3.9 volts total per pack?? 3.9v total is VERY low, a 2s pack should be at atleast 6v total.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
3.9 volts per cell, or 3.9 volts total per pack?? 3.9v total is VERY low, a 2s pack should be at atleast 6v total.
Sorry, 3.9 per cell.. Just the way the charger lists them. so I guess they were at 7.8
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
Winnebago IL
Joined Jan 2008
80 Posts
guessing you blew the esc then by overheating the bec
CoronaL is offline Find More Posts by CoronaL
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:23 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
There's no reason it should have overheated the BEC with the ESC turned off.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
My LHS told me "duh.. it's because you left the batteries plugged in of course it blew up..." sigh lol.. Hard lesson to learn, oh well... monster 2 will be delivered Monday

Thanks for everyone's help
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:51 AM
Winnebago IL
Joined Jan 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
There's no reason it should have overheated the BEC with the ESC turned off.
duh! I didn't read that it was off. Guess I need new glasses lol.
CoronaL is offline Find More Posts by CoronaL
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:09 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkm View Post
My LHS told me "duh.. it's because you left the batteries plugged in of course it blew up..." sigh lol.. Hard lesson to learn, oh well... monster 2 will be delivered Monday

Thanks for everyone's help
Did you check the ESC before ordering a new one? If the ESC is off and the batteries are left plugged in nothing bad should have happened to the ESC at all.