Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,020 Posts
Im going to use a 60" edge for basic, and then my 78" edge for advance and heavier winds
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:03 AM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
For what it is worth, I am going to try basic for the first time this year at the urging of a fiend who has done IMAC in the past. This is what I'm going to use...

Win, lose, or draw I am doing it to have fun while learning to fly better and make some new friends. If I actually place with a $130 micro then that is even better!
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverflyhehe View Post
For what it is worth, I am going to try basic for the first time this year at the urging of a fiend who has done IMAC in the past. This is what I'm going to use...

Win, lose, or draw I am going it to have fun while learning to fly better and make some new friends. If I actually place with a $130 micro then that is even better!
That is, absolutely, the approach to take. With those goals in mind, you will have a blast.

We have a pilot here in the Southwest, Jerry Neglia, that flies basic with a little foam MX2. He has fun, gets better with each contest, and has made lots of new friends. You can see the excitement when he arrives at the contest. That's what it's all about. Having fun!!
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:48 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverflyhehe View Post
For what it is worth, I am going to try basic for the first time this year at the urging of a fiend...
I'm very cautious about doing things at the urging of a fiend... they usually don't have your best interests at heart.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,264 Posts
I like your thinking, using the micro SBACH! but you might want too check the rules, I think there is a rule about using gyro's on control surfaces!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:29 AM
the next Sean Tucker
Sackatomatoes, CA
Joined Apr 2009
66 Posts
funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Why doesn't somebody create an aerobatics class or organization where you can compete with your $300 plane against other $300 planes?

If basic allows anything, it's really not a competition.

We need an aerobatics competition that is fair and regulated but affordable, that has plane parameters that will keep things even and competitive, so that people who want to be serious without spending thousands can do so. There should be gas and electric classes. Maybe pattern and IMAC-like classes. Could use the same rules and flight patterns as current pattern and IMAC, just retooled for this new affordable but competitive class.

Am I nuts? And what type of nut am I? I kinda like Brazil nuts....

OK this is my manifesto for revolution and I'm going to start a new thread with it.
I used to fly full-scale aerobatics and quit due to cost. Upon leaving the hobby I wrote an editorial to the governing body suggesting a "one design" category with aircraft having a biplane configuration and 4-cylinder engine. I think the thought was widely poo-poo'd. I never could get used to seeing an Extra 300 in Sportsman (but that's just me, it appears).
Pittsaholic is offline Find More Posts by Pittsaholic
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsaholic View Post
I used to fly full-scale aerobatics and quit due to cost. Upon leaving the hobby I wrote an editorial to the governing body suggesting a "one design" category with aircraft having a biplane configuration and 4-cylinder engine. I think the thought was widely poo-poo'd. I never could get used to seeing an Extra 300 in Sportsman (but that's just me, it appears).
Did you intend that that class would be affordable? Boy, that's pretty rich affordable. Four cylinder engines are way more expensive than the total outlay of a couple hundred bucks I was advocating for.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Jun 02, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
78 Posts
Plane selection

Hello all.

I need some help with a plane selection, for being able to fly precision aerobatics better than what my present planes are capable of.

Some history first. I have been flying a Horizon Hobby foamy T-28 for the past 2 years and able to do a lot of aerobatics with it. Last year moved up to a 40 sized top wing electric powered Great Planes Big Stick and again am able to perform aerobatics with it. This year I am flying a great planes bottom wing 40 sized electric powered Escapade and am able to perform aerobatics with this, as well. Although I am able to perform aerobatics with these planes, I find I am fighting with the capabilities of these planes to perform the aerobatic maneuvers as well as they should be performed and the electric powered systems are only providing me with 6 - 7 minutes of flight.

In researching for a new plane, my local hobby shop made a couple of recommendations. I indicated that I would like to try a gas engine powered plane, in the 15cc size (Horizon Hobby Evo 15). The planes they said that would be better were the Horizon Hobby Extra 300S (Seagull Models) and the Great Planes Reactor. These are essentially the same size, except I noticed that the Reactor fuselage is 59" long with a wing span of 58" with a wing area of 745 sq. in. and the Extra 300S fuselage is 46" long with a wing span of 63" with a wing area of 663 sq. in.

A thought I had was the Reactor with the longer fuselage would be able hold a line better than the shorter fuselage of the Extra 300S. Does the fuselage length make a difference.

Something else I liked about these planes was the construction of the fuselage: solid sides with cutouts for making them lighter (could take a little more abuse than what is noted next). I think I prefer this to the lighter construction to that of ones that use balsa stringers with a plastic film covering (once I become a better pilot, this would be better, I am sure).

What are other considerations I should consider? Are these planes any good or is there something better that I should be considering?

Thank you,

William
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Jun 03, 2013, 11:03 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
OK just for the record, I think I have had a change of heart, and want to try IMAC beginner class, just for fun. Because I can't afford it there is not danger of going higher, and that is in terms of money and time.

Now I am interested in what sort of plane to get. But I think I will ask in a new thread.

I also started a thread on starting a new class where everyone flies the came cheap plane. That fizzled out.

Thanks for all the input.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:20 AM
Fly low, go fast
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Yeah, but if one guy is flying a $10,000 IMAC plane in Basic, and I am flying a Hangar 9 Alpha trainer, it's going to be a little hard to judge. Just making an extreme example to make the point.
I agree totally
Tarheel hal is offline Find More Posts by Tarheel hal
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:55 PM
Chicagoland
Joined Jul 2005
58 Posts
Really ?

I'm not sure everyone here has the right idea about IMAC. I've only competed for two years and have learned:

* Almost everyone in IMAC is willing to help and teach you what you need to know
* Flying IMAC has greatly improved my precision and I have learned many new maneuvers
* I've met lots of good friends and had a TON of fun. Flying with a purpose is fun. Getting together with like minded people is fun. And when we compete we mostly compete against ourselves.

I saw a couple posts that pretty much said the same thing. It is NOT about expensive airplanes if you don't want it to be. I think Basic class is open to all members because we WANT you try the IMAC experience! Give it a try and see what happens.... We have fun!

... And if you want to compete "informally" with all the same planes (for example 4-Star 40's or something) is there anything stopping you from setting up a contest or fun-fly at your local club ? Maybe that 'someone' to set it up is you!
Jasonb3391 is offline Find More Posts by Jasonb3391
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:00 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,305 Posts
I've found the same in any competitive event. The days of guys being aloof and secretive about their equipment is mostly over, everyone knows the same stuff because everyone uses off the shelf equipment and no one builds their own models (except a very few).

I started in AMA Pattern in 2010 and found all people were open and inviting as far as competition pilots are so, just don't cross the line of normal ettiquite (like asking questions while they are fueling, setting up their radio, or concentrating on "dirt flying" the next flight) and you'll be having a good time having all of your questions answered, verbally, and demonstrably.

In IAC acro someone that is experienced often gets a "buddy" assigned to them to help the new guy through the first few contests, I found that my prior competitive event knowledge rubbed off a bit, but someone was always ready to help me. Mine was the Advanced Champion. My snap coach was often Kirby Chambliss, just because he's a nice guy. Once Dianne Hakala asked me if she could help and watched me for two sequences out in the hot, windy desert, at the time she was poised to take the US National Championship. At my first R/C Pattern contest it was former USA team member Mark Radcliff. People are just often very interested in giving a new guy some help. A positive attitude, and a few well dropped questions are a great start, just like in real life.

I'm flying a 74 inch glow 1.08 Lanier Laser that weighs 11 pounds (hey, it's what I've got), I'm currently practicing for my first contest in Basic. At my field there a a couple of IMAC guys and they are always asking me to come to their contests. I hope time allows me to compete this year because it's a lot of fun to compete with like minded guys, learn new techniques, and get close to perfecting something, even if it is the Basic sequence.

Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Apr 29, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
I've flow a lot of aerobatic competitions in AMA, CPA and SPA but only one in IMAC. The plane was an H9 50cc extra 260. Not the best one out there but it does everything I asked of it and with a little practice I could be competitive in Sportsman. My nephew has recently started flying a 50cc Aeroworks Extra 300 and it's a very nice airplane and also can be competitive up to sportsman and probably past it. The H9 was bought used for about $500 with motor and servos. The Aeroworks plane is all new and there's probably $1200 in it. If you don't want to put $1000 or more into a competitive airplane you have smaller alternatives. You can also fly senior pattern (SPA) for $500 or less and Classic Pattern (CPA) for not much more. Actually all SPA legal planes are also CPA legal. I'm finishing up two 2M AMA planes for maybe $800 each. I could spend more and these aren't the latest but they can compete and win through the first 3 classes. If you want to compete you have to spend a few dollars to get in the game and put in the time and fuel practicing. You'd be suprised at how far that will take you.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
Old Jun 01, 2014, 09:48 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
this is my 1st year in IMAC BASIC in the Southwest Region. I started the year with a 50cc Peakmodel.com Slick 540... a couple of observations.

- Most of the people I've met are interested in seeing a newbie be successful and/or improve his/her game. I have shown up at contests with no caller and have never had a problem finding someone to call for me.

- yea a bigger airframe flies better.... but I've competed with other BASIC Pilots who are using 50cc setups and those pilots with a solid setup and skills are TOUGH competition.

- as we hit mid year and I prepare or the next event, I definitely see my skills improving. the setup and my approach to aerobatics is better for the experience not to mention the amazing new friendships I've made.

I would encourage anyone interested in IMAC to get engaged and compete. At a couple of events I've seen pilots "sharing" an airframe.

Flyracer
IMAC# 7270
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Jun 01, 2014, 10:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
245 Posts
Fly racer, your observations mirror what I have seen time and time again in the 12 years that I had flown IMAC. I know that the equipment can be expensive and that puts some guys off. In my case I had to put it aside due to a new wife that brought along 2 additional children. I do plan to return to IMAC with a 40% Extra that I have been slowly putting together for close to two years now. My point: one really does not have to buy everything all at once. Properly assembled and maintained an IMAC airplane will be with you for years.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy