HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
617 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a fast 4s EDF! Opinions?

Hey guys,

I'm new to EDF, but I have flown glow planes and a modified Stryker over 100mph as well as our 100cc planes that do an easy 150mph so I'm not new to speed.

I'm looking for a good EDF that would run well modified, on 2500mah 25c Gens Ace packs (which usually match other's 40c packs). I want a jet that will do 120mph+ if possible. Composite or foam, but something that flies well and isn't too hard to hand launch or has retracts suitable to grass.

I've been contemplating the HK Stinger and would put in a 4000kv 64mm Wicked setup, but due to the long exhaust and high drag of the model (like thick TE's of the wings) that plane really only goes 100-105mph in the 600-800w range. It looks really good though, is supposed to fly superb, is cheap but is a little slow for my liking on these packs. Some complain that it's a little hard to hand launch.

I've also been considering the HP Phase III F-16. I would probably put in a 2w-20 w/ 6904 HET to put out about 54a and do 120-125mph I read. That would be a perfect setup, but I'd also consider the 2w-18 + wemo mini pro for even more 130-135mph but I think that might push my packs a little too hard as I fly with lots of WOT. The downside with this EDF would be that I have to spend the build time, many hours glassing it, tail mod, painting it, etc. just to get something that would withstand the speed.

The GP Evader looks like one quick ship as well, and has a composite fuse, but I have no idea the quality or flight characteristics of this bird.

Any thoughts as to what I should go with to meet the need for speed? I know many of you have owned a pile of EDF's and have much experience in this area. I have no clue if there's a descent fast one with retracts or composite out there for my 4s 2500mah, but I'm throwing this out there to see my options.

Thanks very much guys!
Eganwp
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Last edited by Eganwp; Jul 12, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
John Green
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2007
616 Posts
Try a Squall with a Wemo minifan with a Mega or Arc and a big speed controller. Stock other than that , don't use the thrust vectoring, 1/2 oz fiberglass with finishing resin over the outside of the inlet to give a little stiffness where you grab it for launching. Large nylon zip tie as a skid for asphalt landings. Use great care landing in grass as it will grab the inlet.
We've got doppler from a cell phone of 120mph.
John
PlumberJohn is online now Find More Posts by PlumberJohn