HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:30 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,898 Posts
I doubt you will find plans for a Monocat,it was my understanding that it was one hull of a catamaran @50 inches converted to a M.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
I doubt you will find plans for a Monocat,it was my understanding that it was one hull of a catamaran @50 inches converted to a M.
The Monocat plans are available for purchase here:
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...arblehead.html

The Monocat was not a scaled hull of a catamaran, but rather a Marblehead hull designed after one hull of a catamaran.
The boat was designed for minimum wetted surface and hullform resistance, which is why the idea came from a Cat.

The hull ended up with anti-dive rails along the sides of the bow.. Which should tell you it's major downfall in inconsistencies when competing at high level events.

It should still be a very fast boat, but any builder should be weary of it's downwind performace with a super-high-aspect ratio rig.
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,898 Posts
I used to own one so thanks for clearing it up for me last one is a scalpel and it's a wall ornament at the club.Pete Jefferson won a nats with a monocat many moons ago.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
To answer the question on skalpel depth, they are right at max depth ~25.5".
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Quote:
I used to own one so thanks for clearing it up for me last one is a scalpel and it's a wall ornament at the club.Pete Jefferson won a nats with a monocat many moons ago.
Awesome, did you home build your Monocat, or was it ordered from Sterne?
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2008
229 Posts
marblhead

Hi all I was just reading thru both sets of rules I have and no where can I find a requirement for a drum winch it does say the the jib the main and the rudder can be controlled by radio which I take to mean you can have more than two channels
of radio after all as been pointed out this is a development class also prior to ISAF 1996 there was a requirement that keel weight be behind the keel there is a name for this which I can not remember I have 2 questions
[1] what is an alternate rig

[2] what is a swing rig

and thirdly why would a Ketch not be totally legal if built to those rules Casey
casy is offline Find More Posts by casy
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Main and jib can be separate controls and often have the jib with an adjuster to control slot on the water. The Skalpel also has outhaul and back stay adjustment while sailing.

A swing rig, the whole rig rotates with the jib attached to a boom that goes forward. http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/behemo...r/chapter2.htm About half the way down the page.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Other than simplicity, does a swing rig offer any advantages to separated main and jib?
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,132 Posts
Swing rigs go really well down wind
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by casy View Post
and thirdly why would a Ketch not be totally legal if built to those rules Casey
Marblehead class rules on the AMYA website say:
5 RIG
5.1 Definitions
5.1.1 A rig is defined as, and is restricted to, no more than; one mainsail, one jib, one mast, one luff spar, four booms, fittings, wind indicator/s, standing rigging and running rigging.

So a ketch rig is out by the one mast rule. The international rules are similar.

Brian
bkopke is online now Find More Posts by bkopke
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMangus View Post
Other than simplicity, does a swing rig offer any advantages to separated main and jib?
They tend to be quicker to change rigs. On my Viper, I use a swing for the A, then conventional for B and C. Will do the same for my Pixel. The swing rig works really well in the light air, but tends to go bow down sooner in heavy air.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by casy View Post
Hi all I was just reading thru both sets of rules I have and no where can I find a requirement for a drum winch it does say the the jib the main and the rudder can be controlled by radio which I take to mean you can have more than two channels
of radio after all as been pointed out this is a development class also prior to ISAF 1996 there was a requirement that keel weight be behind the keel there is a name for this which I can not remember I have 2 questions
[1] what is an alternate rig

[2] what is a swing rig

I'll try to make the most sense of that that I can..

On a Marblehead class boat you are permitted to use more than 2 channels, but it is not advisable. Why, is a higher-level conversation
Typically the Mainsail and Jib are controlled on the same Drum winch, and a single channel.The second channel is used for the rudder.
For drum winch setups, see this document. Scroll to the drum winch section.

http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/pdf/us1mconst.pdf

Marbleheads used to have a requirement that the lead bulb follow aft of the keel (Bulb can't protrude forward) These are typically classified as Vintage Marbleheads.

An alternate rig is any extra rig that you sail the boat with. Often times called a B-Rig.

On a swing rig, the mast rotates, with both the mainsail and jib turning paralell to the hull (when sailing downwind.)
here is a video onboard of a swing-rig.

Pinter Swing Rig (2 min 57 sec)

A ketch would be illegal in the Marblehead class rules, because it adds an additional mast.
Last edited by breakwater; Mar 06, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:59 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Awesome, did you home build your Monocat, or was it ordered from Sterne?
It was built in california by whom i cannot rememberbut not Sterne,boat was not the best of builds deck was not level to the keel but had a good finish,never used it for competition.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Quote:
It was built in california by whom i cannot rememberbut not Sterne,boat was not the best of builds deck was not level to the keel but had a good finish,never used it for competition.
Where is she now?
Do you have any photos to upload?

Pretty cool
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
822 Posts
I took some pictures while at a recent RM rankings race last weekend Graham Bantock won the day with his Prime Number with Peter Stollery and his father Roger placing second and third with there own design Crazy Tubes.
An interesting array of marbleheads there including Rok's, Paradox and some Starkers 3's including mine.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23