HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
And on another note, has anyone successfully used the stable mode without getting vibrations? I don't know how many actually use this board on their multi-rotors at the moment. Maybe this is a case of "you get what you pay for". It costs a third of the Quadrino board which is also advertised on the forum after all.
Haven't you watched the videos of people in stable flight earlier in this thread? You are very quick to judge.

A quick search on youtube:

Crius MultiWii Lite short review and demo (9 min 6 sec)

Xaircraft Hexacopter Multiwii Crius (8 min 36 sec)

MultiWii Crius SE accelerometer and barometer test (4 min 25 sec)

Crius Lite MWC Maiden (6 min 49 sec)
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Last edited by Erknie; Jan 16, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:30 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I just couldn't remember, that's all. :P I just hear more about the vibration issues than how well the multi-copters fly. I wish I could go bonkers with dampening foam on mine and see what happens, but I really can't.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:01 AM
Singapore
Joined Oct 2003
108 Posts
Quote:
And on another note, has anyone successfully used the stable mode without getting vibrations? I don't know how many actually use this board on their multi-rotors at the moment. Maybe this is a case of "you get what you pay for". It costs a third of the Quadrino board which is also advertised on the forum after all.
I have two of these boards one on a Mini Bambu frame and the other on a home made 500mm frame. Both can stay steady on stable mode, no problem. Stable settings are standard from the 1.9 configuration GUI.
ronang is offline Find More Posts by ronang
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Tested Crius SE on Tri, wasn't so great, so now building Y6.
One problem - can't mount board on CoG. Possible variantas, help me choose which one would be better:
  1. Board rotated 45 angle (corner looking forward). Probably will require code changes, and some steel bolts will be nearby (not good for magnetometer?)
  2. raised ~80mm from arms level (up)
  3. ~45mm back from CoG, ~10mm from arms level
Suggestions?
like all gyro stuff, centering is best but not required...as long as the rotational axis are aligned and its level with the frame it will work...angular rotation is the same anywhere along the axis of rotation...ends, middle or center...

you can mount a tail gyro on a single blade heli anywhere as long as its aligned properly....usually vibrations are a minimum at the CG, thats why its preferred to mount gyros as close as possible to it...but not required

I would mount it above the CG .....
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
743 Posts
Tricopter vibs

Here is a short video clip of the Tricopter, with KK board, and HD cam showing that very little vibration is evident...yet I couldn't get the SE board to work well...

the slight wobble after control input is due to having the gain a bit high...tuning still in progress, but very reasonable video and certainly good enough to FPV fly it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1GyVvC92wyE
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Crius lite

My CRIUS Lite board is working fine in gyro mode. Finally I had a chance to fly it this weekend in calm weather. It fly steady nicely. I am slowly extending its flight envelop.

ACC mode is not perfect, it breaks balance every 1-2 seconds. I read through suggested threads (including Russian forum) but I have not gotten ready to use change ADXL345, I will try I can find. I will need ACC mode to recover when I lost copter orientation during flight.

Frame is BlueSkyRC's xRotor Sport with very old Slowstick fuse pipe, UH/HK's Park300 1380kv motors (motor quality is ok but it is hard to shift shaft to use prop adapter with motor back mounted. I am mounting motors with spacer), 8x4 HD props, Tower Pro 10/12A ESCs. Rx is FrSky D4FR (PPM SUM).

Here is short video my friend took. I am trying violent movement from around 45 seconds.

Quad Copter with spooky speech. (1 min 22 sec)

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
My CRIUS Lite board is working fine in gyro mode. Finally I had a chance to fly it this weekend in calm weather. It fly steady nicely. I am slowly extending its flight envelop.

ACC mode is not perfect, it breaks balance every 1-2 seconds. I read through suggested threads (including Russian forum) but I have not gotten ready to use change ADXL345, I will try I can find. I will need ACC mode to recover when I lost copter orientation during flight.

Frame is BlueSkyRC's xRotor Sport with very old Slowstick fuse pipe, UH/HK's Park300 1380kv motors (motor quality is ok but it is hard to shift shaft to use prop adapter with motor back mounted. I am mounting motors with spacer), 8x4 HD props, Tower Pro 10/12A ESCs. Rx is FrSky D4FR (PPM SUM).

Here is short video my friend took. I am trying violent movement from around 45 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFVz5bpr94

Satoru
i added a bma020 to my crius lite , and now it runs great.

the adxl345 is very (imho too much) sensitive to vibrations, almost unusable with cheap motors. tried for hours, but the ADXL made my quad swimming around, looked like very slowmotion wobble to all directions.
in acro mode it worked perfect.

crius SE has other sensors, there are not that big vibration issues.

i do usually not dampen FC, as it doesnt help much.
better is to build a sturdy frame, buy vibrationless motors and balancing props well.
then little PID tuning is all to do, to get a very stable and smooth copter.
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Yes, I read your story and I tend to agree, it is so low cost and proven. I do not have good source of bma020 near me, so I will fiddle code till I get one..

thanks.

Satoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteskind View Post
i added a bma020 to my crius lite , and now it runs great.
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
I just couldn't remember, that's all. :P I just hear more about the vibration issues than how well the multi-copters fly. I wish I could go bonkers with dampening foam on mine and see what happens, but I really can't.
This is how Warthox mounts sensor boards

Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
My board sits on 1cm of foam, but like I said before, that's all you get because all the connectors and cables are already resting/pushing against the top plate. If only the pins pointed to the side instead of straight up...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
The Netherlands, FR, Wymbritseradiel
Joined Oct 2005
58 Posts
Tested my quad indoor yesterday.
It flies smooth at stable mode, Mag works fine, but the barometer does'nt hold position. (al possible PID settings).
It's moving in a wave like pattern....but the waves are getting bigger.
It almost hit the roof and floor some times.

I used some foam to cover the barometer...tried today....no better result....sky high...almost 6 feet under.
ariekraakjr is offline Find More Posts by ariekraakjr
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariekraakjr View Post
Tested my quad indoor yesterday.
It flies smooth at stable mode, Mag works fine, but the barometer does'nt hold position. (al possible PID settings).
It's moving in a wave like pattern....but the waves are getting bigger.
It almost hit the roof and floor some times.

I used some foam to cover the barometer...tried today....no better result....sky high...almost 6 feet under.
What should the typical resolution of the barometer be? +/- how many feet or meters?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Sep 2011
510 Posts
Quote:
My board sits on 1cm of foam, but like I said before, that's all you get because all the connectors and cables are already resting/pushing against the top plate. If only the pins pointed to the side instead of straight up...
I was able to isolate most all of the vibrations to my board, however, at above 50% throttle the frame begins to resonate and this is visible on the z-axis of my accelerometer. When I put pressure on the top of the board this resonance almost goes away so I concluded that it may be worth tightly sandwiching the board between two pieces of foam. I'll probably cut the foam so that it sits in the center of the board atop all of the sensors and avoids the pins.
sg1anubis is offline Find More Posts by sg1anubis
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1anubis View Post
I was able to isolate most all of the vibrations to my board, however, at above 50% throttle the frame begins to resonate and this is visible on the z-axis of my accelerometer. When I put pressure on the top of the board this resonance almost goes away so I concluded that it may be worth tightly sandwiching the board between two pieces of foam. I'll probably cut the foam so that it sits in the center of the board atop all of the sensors and avoids the pins.
Wish I could do that. I'll take a pic later and show everyone my current setup.

As for the barometer, it's shite. I can't get a reliable altitude hold with mine, I have no idea how to tune it. It holds the altitude for a while but eventually overshoots by so much the quad takes a dive into the ground. It simply doesn't react fast enough to the change in altitude and when it notices that "oh shite, I'm several meters over the set altitude" it throttles down to quickly compensate.. All the way into the ground.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
What should the typical resolution of the barometer be? +/- how many feet or meters?
1-2 meters indoors is what people report for the BMP085
If you look in the MultiWii GUI you can often see that the altitude changes when the MultiWii sits still on the table. If you need accuracy at low hovers below about 5meters, you don't use a barometer, you use a sonar.