HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I just tested my HP6DSM on the settings I currently have and the anti-rotational pin was fine. I did this in high and low rate.

Mike.
Hey, thanks! I was 2 chicken 2 try it lol
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:26 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Hey, thanks! I was 2 chicken 2 try it lol
I don't think it matters but, it was only a bench test. I didn't actually fly it. I just observed the anti rotational pin on different settings.

@the rest of you all...
RE: Rechargeable "AA" batteries.

I did some research and learned some interesting things about recharging these "AA" batts. If you have the "AA" rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries they are best charged on a "stand alone" charger designed for these batteries. In other words, don't use the charge port on the side of the TX to charge these batteries.

How to identify the polarity on an electronic port or cable? If you look closely at the little symbol that is stamped or tagged near the charging port/cable you will note a NEG (-) sign and a PLUS (+) sign to the left and right of the "symbol of polarity." For example, if you see the symbol as...

- ---C--- + ..NEG. is outside and POS. is inside (the pin). For those of you who has the HP6DSM TX, check out where the charge port is. It is opposite to that of my example. NEG. is the pin and POS is that of the outside. I went through a few charging cables I have around and the symbol is a bit different but, still understandable to see if the pin is NEG. or POS.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Sep 16, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,203 Posts
In your experience, Mike, how long could you use your NiMH before you have to recharge them to maintain the voltage above 4.5v?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:48 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
using AA rechargable batteries in a tx will save money but lower voltage and shorten range . there are lipos now made for the tx's .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:53 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Just remember to switch back to alkaline batteries for winter flying..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
using AA rechargable batteries in a tx will save money but lower voltage and shorten range . there are lipos now made for the tx's .
The voltage in my TX with the rechargeables 1.2v now reads 5.3v in my HP6DSM with appox. 10/15 flights. How would this possible effect range. I've had my V4 down to one green light (in my 4040 ESKy TX) and my heli out as far as 200'/250' no problem. You just have to pay attention to overall battery strenght. My last post (or before) I mentioned using lipos in the battery compartment of TX's. Myself, I'm not too keen on this idea only because of the fact that a lipo can go bad without notice and possibly destroying the TX. I've never heard of it but, a 20 dollar lipo destroying a $100.00/$150.00/$300.00 TX. I'll go with rechargeables

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Just remember to switch back to alkaline batteries for winter flying..
I just step out my back door and fly If I were going to travel to a field to fly yes, I would switch to alkalines or keep my TX warm. I'll stick it between my legs

Mike.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:42 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
on how it would affect range is less power = less signal output i was just making a statement for thouse who may not have known and yes have seen planes and heli's eat dirt because of rechargables in a tx .
and im with you on lipos just can't see playing rulet with an expencive tx and a lipo that decides to grenade .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Kyle, I just realized something. I have 16 Ni-Mh "AA" batts rated at 2200mah. I have a 4 port charger for these batts. I know you have the Thunder AC6 charger which is capable of charging Ni-Mh batts. I was just going through some of the cables that came with this charger and noticed there is a DC port (left side of charger) that one of the cables fit nicely, however, the other end of the cable has banana plugs. I tried plugging this cable into the side of both my ESky and EFlight TX's and it doesn't seem to fit right (on the ESky, not at all). I thought I might be able to plug this cable into the TX and the banana ends into the ports where the balance plug would go for charging 2S batts.

If it's not too much trouble, when you find the time, break out the cables you got with your charger and see what you come up with. This is getting interesting. It would really be nice just to plug up and charge after a few uses, rather than wait an entire day/night just to charge 4 batts in my 4 port charger.

Mike.
Howdy,
The charger I use to charge the DX6i (and used to charge the HP6DSM) came with the DX6i.

It is made by DVE and has the model# of DSC-3PFB-05 FUS 055015, Output of 5.5 v and .15 amps(150mAh), Spektrum part# SPM9526.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMR6600

With this charger, I do just plug up after a few flights, in fact I just leave it plugged in all night, every other night or so. Pretty handy.

I do know that I have read a post where a person has to be careful and check polarity, because some chargers use reverse polarity on the incoming AC supply. I think that(if I remember right) E-Flite stuff has reverse polarity.

I also have an Olympus stand alone 4 cell charger that came with my Olympus camera that I use to charge these batts.

These batts (Ni-MH 1.5v) have never had the "staying power" that alkaline cells have. When I have the 4 of them in the TX, I can never get more than 5.6v out of them, fully charged. When I put in new alkaline's, I get over 6v.

I dont see how lower TX voltage can effect the TX's range, I dont think that is true, untill TX gets to minimum voltage, then of course it could.

I checked my AC6 cables and I dont see any way to charge the 1.5v's from it. It came with a bunch of leads/cables but nothing specific for AA batts. It must require a separate lead/adapter to hook up to AA's. I am not sure what charger you are trying to use to charge the Ni-MH's?

Let me know,
Cheers
Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Sep 17, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
on how it would affect range is less power = less signal output i was just making a statement for thouse who may not have known and yes have seen planes and heli's eat dirt because of rechargables in a tx .
and im with you on lipos just can't see playing rulet with an expencive tx and a lipo that decides to grenade .
rcphreak, I am not sure about that. I dont see how lower TX voltage relates to shorter range, until the TX voltage gets to its minimum voltage. Are you sure thats the way it works? I think you may have seen planes eat the dirt because the rechargables simply didnt last long enough and dropped below the minimum TX voltage. If I was going to "the park" I think I would throw in a set of brand new alkalines, or have the capability of "refreshing" the rechargables at the park. But I have only flown at home except a couple times and have not done any charging in the field.

But I have run both types in my camera also, and the rechargables simply run out of "juice" considerably faster.

BD
Last edited by BattleDude; Sep 17, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:08 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
631 Posts
Been working like a mad monkey the last couple days. Hopefully I get out this weekend, and check out all this good info. One fast question, and I hope its not real dumb. When you fire up the HP6DSM, where should the throttle stick be? On the stock TX i would set the throttle stick just below mid range, when I turned it on.
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:00 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Been working like a mad monkey the last couple days. Hopefully I get out this weekend, and check out all this good info. One fast question, and I hope its not real dumb. When you fire up the HP6DSM, where should the throttle stick be? On the stock TX i would set the throttle stick just below mid range, when I turned it on.
Blackanthem, I dont think it matters where the throttle position is when turning on the TX. I always set it to minimum, just in case the throttle hold was not on. Didn't want the copter to take off without me aboard!

BD
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:13 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,956 Posts
[QUOTE=Chap1012;19336454]

@the rest of you all...
RE: Rechargeable "AA" batteries.

I did some research and learned some interesting things about recharging these "AA" batts. If you have the "AA" rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries they are best charged on a "stand alone" charger designed for these batteries. In other words, don't use the charge port on the side of the TX to charge these batteries.

Mike, what did this research say, was the drawback to charging them in the TX? Shortened batt life or safety reasons?

Reason I ask is because the DX6i comes with Ni-MH 1.2v batts and a charger(the one I decribed in my previous post) that is specifically for charging them in the TX. Got me wondering now!

BD(Kyle)
Last edited by BattleDude; Sep 17, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:28 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
In your experience, Mike, how long could you use your NiMH before you have to recharge them to maintain the voltage above 4.5v?
Heli, I know you asked Mike but I can run that test for you and get back with that info. May take me a day or two.

BD
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:35 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Blackanthem, I dont think it matters where the throttle position is when turning on the TX. I always set it to minimum, just in case the throttle hold was not on. Didn't want the copter to take off without me aboard!

BD
I was told by a member many moons ago that most TX's have a built in safety (for the Esky 0404 anyway). He told me to throw the stick full throttle and try to initiate. I did so and got a quick blinking red light on the brick. As soon as I lowered the throttle stick to zero, the brick initiated like normal. The heli never twitched or nothing. A friend of mine has a couple Walkera models (God help him..lol) and his TX did the same thing one day. He hadn't realized the throttle was up about half way. Once he lowered the throttle stick to zero...Bingo!

BTW, thanks for the info on the charge cables.

Dang Guys, I'm sure you heard about the airshow crash in Reno. My heart sank when I saw the news. May they all RIP

Mike.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,952 Posts
Mike, what did this research say, was the drawback to charging them in the TX? Shortened batt life or safety reasons?

Reason I ask is because the DX6i comes with Ni-MH 1.5v batts and a charger(the one I decribed in my previuos post) that is specifically for charging them in the TX. Got me wondering now!

BD(Kyle)[/QUOTE]

If I recall, you have to take the rechargeables out of the TX and put them in a regular stand alone charger designed for these batts. One poster claimed he did this about once a month to keep the full charge up. Evidently, it must lose some of it's UMPFF over a certain time charging them in the TX. Who knows I guess the only way is to actually try it and take voltage reading. It has nothing to do about safety so, you're cool there

Mike.