Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by LexusFPV
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,278 Posts
Cool
Can you believe that this BIRD is a RC Airplane

WOW!!!!!

Wingbeat: Home of Rofalconry (www.rofalconry.com) (2 min 38 sec)

Rofalconry: Falcon Vs Robara (1 min 39 sec)

Robaras flying from the car (1 min 5 sec)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
6,738 Posts
now that is a whole nother level of scale RC bird!

I have a fixed wing EPP eagle (FPV of course). And there have been some pretty neat high end ornithopters on the market a while now.

would really love to have such an aicraft. My eagle isn't quite stealthy enough to achieve true spoofery for flying in place where you do not want attention. This one looks the game.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Patchitagain
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
392 Posts
Dang cool !
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Apr 02, 2015, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by keffe1
Sweden, Uppsala County, Uppsala
Joined Aug 2013
312 Posts
Was this a first-of-april-joke? ! If not, it's the coolest thing in a long time!
keffe1 is online now Find More Posts by keffe1
Old Apr 02, 2015, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2013
312 Posts
Looking at some more videos, I think this is fake. The wings don't move enough to produce such speeds, the whole movement of the bird in the air looks to jerky to be real and anyway I can't imagine how wingbeats line that could be produced mechanically. Fake.
Old Apr 02, 2015, 01:35 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
6,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keffe1 View Post
Looking at some more videos, I think this is fake. The wings don't move enough to produce such speeds, the whole movement of the bird in the air looks to jerky to be real and anyway I can't imagine how wingbeats line that could be produced mechanically. Fake.
wrong

see the details here
http://www.rofalconry.com/page.php?id=4

looks to be a EDF powered aircraft, but the wingtips can be 'flapped' to mimic a bird. The flapping adds no thrust I think. Flapping achieved with some heavy duty servos you can see in the wings underside.

Fascinating project I'd like to try some day

much better video showing the model aircraft flying on its own (2nd video posted above I repost here)
Rofalconry: Falcon Vs Robara (1 min 39 sec)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Apr 02, 2015 at 01:53 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2015, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2013
312 Posts
Hm... Maybe then. What seemed unreal to me was that the movement of the wings did not seem to be in proportion to the speed. The homepage seems to be a bit more serious than anybody would make in order to pull a joke. I have to say though, I still think the movement of the bird in the air seems a bit jerky, as in a bad movie effect.
Old Apr 02, 2015, 03:35 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
6,738 Posts
they're not trying to make the bird look real to humans, they just want it to mimic the way their falcons see this 'bird' so the falcons attack it and carry it to the falconer. The Falcons are used to hunt a species of bird for sport, and this model aircraft is made to copy that species of bird. Not sure how they signal the servos to move the wings - it might be programming in the RC radio itself, which is not too hard to do.

In their FAQ they say they use two different model 'birds.' One is the 'trainer' aicraft with the flapping wings. Once the falcon gets used to chasing it, they move up to a fixed wing model 'bird' for more aggressive flying challenge to the falcon - on that model 'bird' the wings do not flap.