New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Discussion
How I Paint My Foamies Thread- Painting a DW Yak 55M

Hey Guys, Over the past few months I've done a couple build threads, showing the building of 2 DW Foamies. One of the threads there were several people intersted in me doing a thread on how i paint my foamies, so here it is!!
The last build thread i did was on my 40" Extra 300L, i decided not to add all the painting part to that thread, that i would do a seperate thread. a friend ordered an 40" all depron yak 55m from DW, he wanted one after seing mine and how it flew, so decided to do the paint thread on his plane.
I will try to include every step i do to paint, and explain how i do it to the best of my ability!!
so here it goes.
1st-- here are the supplies i use.... 3 to 4 full sheets of poster paper, 1 to 2 rolls of painters tape or masking tape, hobby knife with lots of new blades, t-pins, ball point pens, sharpie markers.
for paint i use createx from local craft stores, the paint does not have to be thinned, i get 1 to 2 bottles of each color i plan to use.
i use a dual action airbrush, my aircompressor, is a small 2 gallon one.
i have outlines of several types of planes and i work on color schemes, once i'm happy i start.
1st i take two pieces of poster paper and tape them together. i trace out the outlines of the plane.
i will start this with the vertical fuse piece, i first drew the outline of the plane.
i then drew out my scheme, i don't try to do perfect lines, cause i will straighten them out when i cut them out. i then did the detail work by cutting out the flames the front will have. i then cut off the front area that will be painted red. i then draw the lines on the front area. i then tape it off and cover the areas i don't want painted at this time. do the same for the others ide.
now i paint the front red, after the first side dries i paint the other side.
after both sides are dry i lay the flame template over the red a line it up, i use t-pins to hold it in place. i then lightly paint the flames white, not heavy, almost ghostly. next i paint the tips of the flames with neon orange, so they really pop, after that i used pearl purple to add some outline to the front.
once all the detail colors are on i carefully remove the flame template, and bam... a pretty ghost flame paint job to the front. now do the oher side same as u did the first side.
i will continue painting the fuse tomorrow....so stat tuned!!!

mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,766 Posts
Neat technique
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
i got a good bit of work done on the yak yesterday.
i got the front done the day before i'm going for a cool scheme that looks like the fron of the plane the scheme ha been tore off and there are flames under it. so here is where i started
first i took the rest of the template of the vertical fuse and cut out the rest of the scheme. i then drew the paint lines onto the fuse. i taped of the area i don't want to paint at this time. i then took the flame template and cut out another solid template to cover the front. i used t-pins to hold it in place. i then painted the uncovered area pearl blue. after the first side was dry i painted the other side. after both sides were dry i removed all the tape and the front cover. i set my pressure to low a did a black shadow where the blue and red meet.
now i took the template for the rest of the fuse and drew out checkers. i then cut them out. creating an template. i used the res of templates to cover the already painted areas and then pined the checker template in place and painted the checkers. the scheme for the checkers is for it to be solid towards the back and fade out towards the front. after i shot the paint i remove all the templates, once dry i did the other side. now the vertical fuse piece is done!!
now i started on the wing. i do the templates in half. i drew the scheme, then cut it out. then drew the paint lines on the wing and taped it off. i then shot the pearl blue on it. so far i only have a light coat on and later tday i will shoot a final coat on!!!
i hope to have the wing finished later today after i get off work!!
stay tuned for more!!!

Mikey
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hey Guys, i got a good bit done tonight, but with fall setting in here the nights are getting cold so my drying times are longer than i usually have, and right know i don't have a smaller heater for my work shop.
i first put an final coat of blue on the wing, while it dryed i took the reamining stencil and drew the checkers then cut them out at the same time i did the same for the elevator. after the blue was dry i covered the blue up with the draw line stencil, i used t-pins to hold it. i then lined up the checkers, also using t-pins. i then shot the black. i started very light to create the fade then got darker towards the trailing edge. i then removed all the stencils. after all was dry i did the other side.
now i took the elevator and drew the paint lines on it and taped it off and then spraied the blue, after it was dry i covered the blue and placed the checkers and then sprayed the black doing the same as i did the wing. once everything is dry i will do the other side.
now i'm getting started on the rest of the horizontal fuse. i slide it up on the vertical fuse and marked the exact location where the red and blue meets. then drew the jagged lines and taped them off and painted the red. once it's dry i will shot the flames. i hope to finish it all up tomorrow. i still have the bottom to do.

stay tuned for more!!!

Mikey
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by Azarr
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
Hey Guys, i got a good bit done tonight, but with fall setting in here the nights are getting cold so my drying times are longer than i usually have, and right know i don't have a smaller heater for my work shop.
Mikey
I use a heat gun. Createx was developed for T shirt painters and heat treating makes them washable.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Thanks for the tip Azarr, soon as i can find my heat gun i'll use it, but here in the south the weather is something that can change in a few minutes. it's been around 40 to 45 degress at night but tonight it's staying a little warmer so my shop stayed warm, it being a brick wall building that my grandfather use to run his hobby shop out of.
well back to the painting.
i finsihed up on the other half of the elevator,
i painted the flames on the oter front part of the fuse, i use the same steps as i showed before. i then taped off for the blue, cover the red nose and painted the blue, while it was drying i painted the black shading where the red and blue meets.
now i'm on to painting the bottom of the wing and elevator. i made a template and drew the paint lines. i then taped the wing off and painted it. i went with an orange. i figured the blue, red, black top and having an orange bottom would really help telling the diffrence between the two!!
i then made a template for the elevator bottom and then drew the paint lines. i then taped it off and painted it. once everything is dry tomorrow i will remove the tape and get pics of the finished bottoms.
i also have a pic of the two fuse pieces put together. it looks so cool, so cool it's got me thinking of my next project!!!!
now all i really got left to do is paint the firewall and the firewall support pieces, and to cut out some wheel pants and gear skits.

more to come tomorrow, won't belong there will be a final pic!!!

Mikey
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
She's lookin good! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hey Blu, i got it almost done!! i'm just waiting on the paint on the wheel pants and landing gear skirts to dry and then i'll install them and post the last pieces i painted and then i final pic.
all i can say is this thing looks awesome!!! i came out way better than i thought it would. now i think i'm going to get an 48" extra 300L and paint it amost the same. i just won't do the red with flames front. i think i will paint it just like the new Dalton MEL Mark had at TAS this year.

Mikey
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hey Guys, sorry it took me a few days to finish the thread up, but payday fridays and rough for me.
the last few things i had to do was paint the firewall pieces and the firewall support pieces. these are very straight farward, just painted red.
next was the wheel pants and the landing gear skirts. i make the wheel pants from a template i made from a wheel pant that came ith a foamie i bought a long time ago and liked the shape. the skirts i just make by eye til the length and shape look good. the skirts i painted black to look like a carbon gear. the wheel pants i made a paint template and then drew the paint lines on them and taped them off and painted!!
i put the final touches on the plane and here it is!!!

I really enjoyed doing this paint thread and the plane came out really good. i hope anyone interested in painting foamies with an airbrush or spray cans found this thread very helpfull!!

Thanks so much
Mikey
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,766 Posts
Impressive.

Most impressive
Old Dec 11, 2014, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by ablair
United States, TN, Kingsport
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Great job, I enjoyed your thread and got a lot of ideas!
ablair is offline Find More Posts by ablair
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Azarr
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,208 Posts
Looks great, I like the ghost flames.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,766 Posts
I like the checker stencils...I'll have to use that on my next one.