HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:46 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
buying a 2.4 for the first time......need advice

Hello, I want to purchase a new radio but I'm so confused and torn between prices and one radio doing this and the other this. Trying to keep my cost below $150.00. Also trying to find a radio that has affordable and compatible receivers. Finally my boy will try his hand at flying in the next year I would like a radio that I can connect a trainer cable to so I can train him. I have read alot of threads on here but they seem a little out dated, hoping to gain some insight on these new radio systems. Any advice will help. Thanks in advance.
dcsurfer88 is offline Find More Posts by dcsurfer88
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:36 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,283 Posts
Your best option if available to you would be to vist LHS (LocalHobbyShop) and see what they have to offer AND/OR vist local Flying Clubs or flying spot to speak to the local flyers. They along with LHS staff would be in a better position to provide you with help after you made you purchase if you should need some.

The best radio for you is one that fits right in you hands and you enjoy using. Nothing worst then having a radio you have a hard time navigating the menus and programming.

Tip: When buying a new radio it's NOT always about the channel count, it's mainly about the programming and what it has to offer you today and tomorrow. For most of us this hobby is very addictive and for some they quickly out grow their radios because they didn't buy the right one to start with.

If your price point was a little higher I would of recommended you have a look at this radio that will be coming out.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,331 Posts
Don't forget that if you want to train your son you will need TWO radios of the same make. (It is possible to use different makes bu I am not going into that.)
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:16 AM
United States, AR, El Dorado
Joined Feb 2009
21 Posts
I've been flying RC for 16yrs. I took a break for a couple of years & now find myself in a similar place as you.
I've flown 72mHz radios since I got my wings. When getting back to the flying field, I was amazed at the amount of radios that didn't have a 15' (exaggeration) antenna sticking out if it.
So, shopping I go.
I too found it overwhelming w/ the amount of numbers & letters attached to the names of radios.
I've spent a couple of months with my club buddies, looking at their radios and asking a ton of questions.
I've also spent every waking hour sifting through this site & it's endless pages of Tx & Rx talk.
It makes my brain hurt.

After many many hours though, I settled on a radio & will receive my Spektrum DX7s today.
Now the research has begun for receivers, batteries, & chargers to get the old airplanes flight worthy.

All this to say, hang in there. Your not alone.
The Pirate is offline Find More Posts by The Pirate
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
48 Posts
Trying to make the same decision after having collected a bunch of Tx buying RTF units. Settled on the DX6i, not convinced that I should be having buyers remorse. Seems the other most popular camp are buying Devo Tx, lot of buzz lately about the Devo 10. Would have been a lot less expensive than the Spectrum Tx
dteel is offline Find More Posts by dteel
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate View Post
After many many hours though, I settled on a radio & will receive my Spektrum DX7s today.
Now the research has begun for receivers, batteries, & chargers to get the old airplanes flight worthy.

All this to say, hang in there. Your not alone.
Do yourself a favor
if you elect to still use old batteries -- Stop-
the 2.4 systems are computers and will quit if voltages sag
Battery suppliers such as NO BS Batteries and Cheap Battery packs have lot of good info and batteries which should be be considered.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:08 AM
Joined Dec 2013
191 Posts
Depending on the vehicle you're flying/running.
If you're running a car, 3 CH is enough,
for a helicopter, maybe you need 6 CH,
For a multicopter, maybe you need 9CH or more channels.
davidwills is offline Find More Posts by davidwills
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:44 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell View Post
Don't forget that if you want to train your son you will need TWO radios of the same make. (It is possible to use different makes bu I am not going into that.)
Doesn't have to be same make but there are compatibility issues. Do you have old equipment that can be used as a buddy box?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66