HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Discussion
FrSky rx on heli

Anyone using frsky receivers on their heli and can maybe post a photo where they mounted the rx?
volumax is offline Find More Posts by volumax
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:57 AM
Almost Ready To Fly
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Dec 2012
1,547 Posts
FrSky rx are no different from other rx so where it's placed is the same for other rx. Where you place it is up to you and the heli you have.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:10 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,605 Posts
I don't know about the others, but FrSky antennas are quite a bit shorter than Walkera RX-701 receivers so i couldn't put the antenna all the way to the front.

Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:14 AM
Almost Ready To Fly
Joined Dec 2012
1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I don't know about the others, but FrSky antennas are quite a bit shorter than Walkera RX-701 receivers so i couldn't put the antenna all the way to the front.
Why would you need to?

Anyway here's how my Walkera rx is mounted wouldn't make any difference if the antennas were shorter as I'd still mount it the same.

Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Aug 19, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Why would you need to?
To minimize shadowing. With the RX-701, one antenna was hanging off the rear horizontally, and the other was at the very front hanging down from the battery tray vertically. So you've got no chance of the receiver being blocked by either the battery, or carbonfiber frame.

When i got the FrySky receiver, the antenna couldn't reach all the way to the front so i had to put it on the top. The ziptie is arranged to pinch the antenna and force it to a vertical position, but it doesn't hold up very well against the downwash. I don't fly very far LOS anyway so antenna orientation probably wouldn't matter.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Quote:
FrSky rx are no different from other rx so where it's placed is the same for other rx. Where you place it is up to you and the heli you have.

I want to see how people position their antennas, I really see no point of this comment as any normal thinking person would assume a frsky is no different from other, but frsky antennas seem quite long and have 2 which is not my typical receiver, I use the 9x stock and I am thinking of going all frsky since they are so good (I have a frsky module and have tested with great range on planes). Anyways, I just want to see how people position their antennas.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:44 AM
Almost Ready To Fly
Joined Dec 2012
1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumax View Post
I want to see how people position their antennas, I really see no point of this comment as any normal thinking person would assume a frsky is no different from other, but frsky antennas seem quite long and have 2 which is not my typical receiver, I use the 9x stock and I am thinking of going all frsky since they are so good (I have a frsky module and have tested with great range on planes). Anyways, I just want to see how people position their antennas.
The thing is there is zero difference between FrSky rx vs others on the market so what is the point of mentioning FrSky in the first place? Some other rx on the market have shorter antenna too some longer some have one antenna some have two. How you mount the rx and route the antenna is up to your heli's layout and how you personally want to do it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:28 AM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumax View Post
This will be my next upgrade also, I am sick to death of being in certain orientations, and then my heart skipping a beat when I get the "shadowing".. I stick the heatshrink into one of the long holes in the bottom of the frame and it aims straight at the ground which has helped a bit, but I've already lost a plane flying inverted because the damn thing browned out. The range is pitiful too. Not sure if I have a defected unit or I have a crimp in the antenna somewhere but I'm over it.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Quote:
The thing is there is zero difference between FrSky rx vs others on the market so what is the point of mentioning FrSky in the first place? Some other rx on the market have shorter antenna too some longer some have one antenna some have two. How you mount the rx and route the antenna is up to your heli's layout and how you personally want to do it.

Exactly my point, your posts are unnecessary, you coming here saying there is zero difference blablabla, I dont need that, I need someone who actually wanted to help, and YES, there is a difference, and the difference is I am not getting a futaba or jr or spektrum, its ACTUALLY a frsky receiver and I want to see how people mount its antennas. Your attitude is one which really disgusts me about this hobby, people who have to get out of the subject. If someone asks to a general public if one should get a red shirt or a blue shirt, why cant people limit themselves to "red or blue". Why do we have to go pass the subject. All you had to do you IF you really wanted to help, was post your photo and move on. But NO, you had to turn it into something else.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
Almost Ready To Fly
Joined Dec 2012
1,547 Posts
There's no need to get all worked up. At least now you've learned something new about other brand rx. I guess you're not interested in learning stuff you don't already know and are getting all defensive for whatever reason. It seems you didn't like the fact you were wrong and still insist you were right..

Again there is NO difference.

ALL rx with two long antennas will need to be mounted the same regardless of brand. Doesn't matter if it's FrSky, Futaba, JR, Spektrum etc. No...FrSky doesn't have special needs though you may think it does. It requires the same basic commonsense mounting/routing of every other rx out there. There's no single correct way to mount and route. Also without mentioning what kind of frame you actually fly, any photos would only be half useful.
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Aug 19, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,605 Posts
A few things i learned when i built my heli.

#1 Place the antennas to minimize shadowing. Either front/back or both sides.

#2 Different orientations. This is so when one antennas null is pointed at the TX, the other antenna takes over.

@TheKingPhisher
To be fair, i don't know how to place the antennas on my quad either. I just followed the guidelines of antenna placement and it works, but it doesn't look as neat as the others. The helicopter is fine and the heli can survive a badly placed antenna because you don't really move very far when flying LOS, but placement of antennas on an FPV quad is almost an artform

Anyway, it's a FrSky. If you're using the receiver with the telemetry capability, the module will make warning beeps if your antennas are badly positioned.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Quote:
There's no need to get all worked up. At least now you've learned something new about other brand rx. I guess you're not interested in learning stuff you don't already know and are getting all defensive for whatever reason. It seems you didn't like the fact you were wrong and still insist you were right..

Again there is NO difference.

ALL rx with two long antennas will need to be mounted the same regardless of brand. Doesn't matter if it's FrSky, Futaba, JR, Spektrum etc. No...FrSky doesn't have special needs though you may think it does. It requires the same basic commonsense mounting/routing of every other rx out there. There's no single correct way to mount and route. Also without mentioning what kind of frame you actually fly, any photos would only be half useful.
I was wrong? Where was I wrong? Have you ever seen a 9x stock receiver? Does it look anywhere near how a frsky looks? Learn something new? What are you referring to? As I have said again and again, stop with the ignorant comments, all I wanted was someone using a FRSKY rx to show me a photo of how they placed it, I never needed your attitude in here, you seem to be the bullied kid from school who comes online to talk crap. I was wrong? give me a break, wrong in asking for a photo? Grow up kid.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
OH WAIT! you are right, they are exactly the same. Carbon copy.

Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
A few things i learned when i built my heli.

#1 Place the antennas to minimize shadowing. Either front/back or both sides.

#2 Different orientations. This is so when one antennas null is pointed at the TX, the other antenna takes over.

@TheKingPhisher
To be fair, i don't know how to place the antennas on my quad either. I just followed the guidelines of antenna placement and it works, but it doesn't look as neat as the others. The helicopter is fine and the heli can survive a badly placed antenna because you don't really move very far when flying LOS, but placement of antennas on an FPV quad is almost an artform

Anyway, it's a FrSky. If you're using the receiver with the telemetry capability, the module will make warning beeps if your antennas are badly positioned.
My frskys arent the ones with telemetry since I mostly do helis and I dont need to go out that far that I might lose connection, but Ive heard the antennas should be places 90 to each other and simply wanted to see how others located it, and this assh had to come in and change the subject, I really dislike people like him, just wish I could get 5 minutes face to face.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:45 PM
Almost Ready To Fly
Joined Dec 2012
1,547 Posts
Thanks for proving my point...in terms of mounting they all need to be mounted the same way.

The fact you have a FrSky is irrelevant...though you may THINK otherwise.

And you still haven't mentioned what kind of frame you're flying...lol. Just because somebody on the internet mounted theirs a certain way doesn't mean you could/should too...lol.
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Aug 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM.