HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:33 PM
Kip
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Feb 2006
66 Posts
Discussion
9303 question- momentary push button for glider motor?

Hello............. 2.4M electric sailplane. JR XP9303 in "glider" program; six servos plus motor; 8 channel receiver. Thanks to these forums, I have figured out how to assign the motor (channel 7, AUX2) to a slider- or to the timer/trainer push button. However, this push button setup "toggles" between on and off. In other words, push and release button once: motor goes on. Motor stays on until you push and release button again. For safety and simplicity reasons, I'm trying to set it up so that motor is on when button pressed (and held)- and goes off when button is released (like a door bell). Anyone know if this is possible? Much thanks, Kip.................
kipduff is offline Find More Posts by kipduff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Reverse Channel 7..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipduff View Post
Hello............. 2.4M electric sailplane. JR XP9303 in "glider" program; six servos plus motor; 8 channel receiver. Thanks to these forums, I have figured out how to assign the motor (channel 7, AUX2) to a slider- or to the timer/trainer push button. However, this push button setup "toggles" between on and off. In other words, push and release button once: motor goes on. Motor stays on until you push and release button again. For safety and simplicity reasons, I'm trying to set it up so that motor is on when button pressed (and held)- and goes off when button is released (like a door bell). Anyone know if this is possible? Much thanks, Kip.................
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:24 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
847 Posts
When the push button switch is assigned to a channel in the DeviceSEL menu, it acts as a momentary switch. When the push button switch is the master channel in a program mix, it acts as a push-on/push-off switch. So in DeviceSEL, assign the TIME SW as the device for the MOTOR channel. As you have dual flaps, set up a program mix of MOTO -> AUX2. Note that the master is MOTO not TIMT.

You may have to reverse AUX2 so the motor is on when the switch is pushed.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
Kip
Joined Feb 2006
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
When the push button switch is assigned to a channel in the DeviceSEL menu, it acts as a momentary switch. When the push button switch is the master channel in a program mix, it acts as a push-on/push-off switch. So in DeviceSEL, assign the TIME SW as the device for the MOTOR channel. As you have dual flaps, set up a program mix of MOTO -> AUX2. Note that the master is MOTO not TIMT.

You may have to reverse AUX2 so the motor is on when the switch is pushed.

Allan
Excellent! I now have momentary full power (or whatever percentage of full power I program in TRVL.ADJ) when I press the trainer/timer push button.

A common setup for e-gliders is to have the percentage of power applied when pressing the button controlled by the right slider. I have been trying for an hour or so to do this with no luck. I set up the motor control on the slider and made a push button mixer with 0% at rest, and 100% when pushed, but it just adds to the value on the slider. Any way to switch the power applied by the slider momentarily on with the push button like we applied full power with the push button?

Much thanks, Kip..............................
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
847 Posts
I don't believe it can be done. The 9303 doesn't have the flexibility of using the timer/snap button as a select switch. To do what you ask a slider would be assigned as the motor input device in the DeviceSEL and then a program mix should have the button as a momentary select switch to direct the MOTOR output to AUX2. I'm sorry to say that as near as you can get to that situation is to use either the BTF or AX4 (gear or mix) switch for select. They, rather than the button, will become your on/off switch.

Since I'm just sport flying my electric gliders, I haven't found a need to control the motor speed on the accent. I just set it at full on. I have a 2-position switch for on/off control. The slider is there for speed modulation but is seldom used except for initial setups and maybe for a slight extra boost on short landings!

Allan
Last edited by AWorrest; Apr 18, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
Kip
Joined Feb 2006
66 Posts
Quote:
I don't believe it can be done. The 9303 doesn't have the flexibility of using the timer/snap button as a select switch. To do what you ask a slider would be assigned as the motor input device in the DeviceSEL and then a program mix should have the button as a momentary select switch to direct the MOTOR output to AUX2. I'm sorry to say that as near as you can get to that situation is to use either the BTF or AX4 (gear or mix) switch for select. They, rather than the button, will become your on/off switch.

Since I'm just sport flying my electric gliders, I haven't found a need to control the motor speed on the accent. I just set it at full on. I have a 2-position switch for on/off control. The slider is there for speed modulation but is seldom used except for initial setups and maybe for a slight extra boost on short landings!

Allan
As I understand your post: you have a Tx that CAN do what I'm trying to do with my 9303.... but you rarely find it necessary. Other people have told me the same thing. I'm not competing, so I was thinking I might want to use part throttle for cruising around and for landings when I'm falling short.

What radio do you have that allows this programming?

Again, much thanks- Kip...................
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:51 PM
Kip
Joined Feb 2006
66 Posts
Quote:

Allan
If I find I really still want to do this, I could replace the gear or mix switch with a similar momentary switch.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:17 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
847 Posts
Using the trainer's push-button isn't a bad idea provided one hand is free. On my full-house electric sailplane, I need both hands to control the rudder, elevator and aileron. Holding a push-button down all the time during the accent would be awkward if not impossible. I prefer a two-position switch rather than a push-on one for anything other an RES.

When I started flying electric sailplanes, I used the throttle stick for both motor control and landing. The more I flew this configuration, I found there was not too much need to run the motor at anything other than full speed or else have it completely off. There are a few times where being able to vary the motor speed is useful. A slider plus a switch has worked well for me.

My last post was sketchy in describing the how to set this up. I'll expand on it. AUX2 will be used as the motor channel. You will need a receiver with at least seven channels and preferably one that has preset failsafe on AUX2.

In the DeviceSEL menu, INH the MOTO channel output. Set AUX2 channel output as ACT. Use one of the levers (sliders) as the controlling device for the AUX2 channel. I prefer to use the FLAP LV as it is on the same side of the transmitter as is the throttle stick where I'm use to having the motor speed control. Change the controlling device for the FLAP channel to AUX3 LV. Don't use the same slider for both the flap and motor control.

In a normal program mix (mixes #3-#6), mix AUX2 -> AUX2. Set both the top and bottom Pos1 rates to -100%. Leave both Pos0 rates as zeros. Set the Offset to -170. Be sure the Pos1 rates and the offset are negative numbers. In the select switch row on the bottom of the menu, set either BTF (BTFL SW) or AX4 (AUX4 SW) to POS1. If your transmitter has a SPOI STK option in the lower right corner, leave it INH.

I use the BTFL SW as the select switch. It is on the left side of the transmitter like the throttle but the AUX4 SW will work just as well. When the switch is in position 1 (pulled toward you), the mix nullifies AUX2 and the output is the offset value. When it's in position 0, the slider controls the motor speed. The direction the switch moves is the same as the throttle stick does in ACRO. To reverse the select switch action, swap the Pos0 and Pos1 rate settings in the mix.

That is all there is to the programming.

Allan
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
Kip
Joined Feb 2006
66 Posts
Allan

I had a rough idea how to do it, but your post will accelerate the setup. I think I was able to do this with the push button- but only in "toggle" mode. Especially didn't like it because you have no idea whether the motor's on or off by looking at the button- a regular switch, you can physically see whether it's in one position or another.

Sure appreciate your expert answers- I'm going to copy this thread and put it in a Word doc in my glider notes file.

I'll do the setup next time I have time to mess with the Tx. Sure is amazing how much energy goes into setup and flying of these fancy molded gliders. Definitely gonna get a ParkZone $149 T-28 plug-and-play electric park flyer so I can actually FLY...........