HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, TN, Greenbrier
Joined Aug 2009
14 Posts
Discussion
hair spray for sanding sealer

hi, can auqunet hairspray be used as a sanding sealer. i am getting ready to cover a pt-19 with 100% polyester dress lining and polycrylic. thanks.
kitman09 is offline Find More Posts by kitman09
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
81 Posts
sealer

Hello,

I've used it several times with no problem under poly. Make sure you put on several coats lightly sanding between coats. Buy the least expensive can you can find. I think I paid $2.00 for a large can at Walmart. You can also use Minwax sanding sealer of their spray lacquer. This stuff stinks like a good lacquer should.

I've seen several post that they do not ues a sealer, but I've have numerious problems not using it.

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:06 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
634 Posts
The problem with hair spray is it's mostly water and will raise the grain with every coat weather you sand it or not because it's water soluble. Deft sanding sealer works great, it's laquer so dries fast and sands easily with 400 grit. If I'm covering it's gonna get the laquer treatment and the covering sticks better. Don't take my word on it do your own test with some scraps and you will find the covering on un treated balsa will pull right off. Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner