Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:12 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Discussion
Newbie Question

Hey All -

I just got started in RC earlier this year (only took me 50+ years) and really fell in love with it. Problem is I began with aircraft and I'm finding my eyesight is limiting me quite a bit in what I'm able to do. Not wanting to give up the hobby I'm looking for something a little closer to the ground and therefore my post.

I've been reading the different threads in this forum with great interest, soaking up as much information as I can. I'm still coming up with one basic question though - where to start? I don't want to break the bank but I don't want something cheap that cannot be upgraded when the time is right. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get started with tanks, I would be much obliged.

Thanks!
Bob
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:11 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
977 Posts
Bob,

It sounds like you would want a HL tank to start with or a used Tamyia. The HL is cheaper all the way around and is not compatible OTB with Tamyia IR battle system. Most groups use the Tamyia system as standard. You can convert the HL to be Tamyia compatible with the addition of a DBC3 board and an after market radio. Phil at http://www.rctankwars.com/imagine.asp has the best deals on HL tanks and is trustworthy and stands behind his sales.

There is a battle this weekend in Danville at the AAF Tank Museum. Short notice, but you can follow the link posted by Panther F in the Texas battle day post if you want to see pictures. You could come up for the battles also, plus you get to see the museum. Google AAF Tank Museum in Danville Va. for directions. We get guys from all over to come and battle with us. Some from Michigan, Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio, Georgia, South Carolina, New York, and California as well as Canada.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
A Snickering Hound
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Thank you, Herman.

I took your advice and contacted Phil. He is suggesting the Walker Bulldog with metal upgrades. Based on his reputation here I believe that is the direction in which I will go.

Thank you also for the invitation to the battle weekend - it sounds like a great time and the perfect opportunity for a beginner such as myself. Alas, the wife wouldn't let me revamp our vacation plans.(cannot imagine why) so I will have to attend a future event.

I appreciate your response and advice. If you can think of any additional information that would be beneficial as I get started, please feel free to share!

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:30 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
977 Posts
There will be a BIG battle weekend and custom car show at the museum in November. Hope to see you there.

Did Phil say it would be Tamyia compatible? If not ask him how much to make it so. The standard HL IR system does not play nice with the Tamyia system which is the club standard.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibian View Post
There will be a BIG battle weekend and custom car show at the museum in November. Hope to see you there.

Did Phil say it would be Tamyia compatible? If not ask him how much to make it so. The standard HL IR system does not play nice with the Tamyia system which is the club standard.

Herman
If you want to change a heng long system to tamiya compatible go here www.shop.immortalhobbies.com. The mako boards have the easiestand lowest cost options.
FreakyDude is offline Find More Posts by FreakyDude
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
A Snickering Hound
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Thanks Herman and FreakyDude. Just back from vacation so I'll be making my decision here shortly. I appreciate the feedback!

Bob
RCG Plus Member