HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:50 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
862 Posts
The trick to video airplanes is to shut the auto focus off and manually focus on the horizon or focus on the horizon then shut off the auto if thats what the camera requires. Focused that way only the first few yards will be out of focus and everything beyond will be good enough. The camera won't try to refocus every time it sees mostly sky which it doesn't understand.

Get some vids of the rocket flights.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
426 Posts
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the suggestions, Iíll try that next time. My little Sony Camcorder does take great video but it was not designed for this kind of application. The small LCD screen is impossible to see in bright daylight and filming something small and fast moving like this is challenging. The only way to capture an airplane in flight with this thing is to line up the subject over the top of the camera. Fortunately my lousy video does show how well the little X-2 flies.

Thanks

X30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:42 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
862 Posts
Yes that little thing flies beautifully! I hope the larger ones does just as well. The Canon camcorder I have is just as bad, but then most of them are. Once the plane size equals one pixel in the viewfinder it just disappears altogether. I was planning to put a red dot type shotgun sight on the top but never got around to it.

Richard
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:02 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,024 Posts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=stock+video
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
426 Posts
Iím making slow but steady progress on the X-2
I cut the ailerons free from the wing and the rudder from the fin.
Now the interesting part will be building up the hinge line.
Once the hinges are done and the servos installed Iíll be able to join the wings together. Here are some of the latest photos.

X30
Old May 22, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2007
426 Posts
Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of my work on the X2 but itís all been good things.
Still making slow and steady progress. Iíve been working on the flight controls and the bottom of the fuselage. The bottom will be made up of three assembles, one in front then one over the wing and finally one in the back.
In the pictures of the front piece below you can see just how the lower pieces are assembled. Iím using a plywood crutch and formers with blue foam glued in place then shaped. This will be covered in fiberglass cloth and glued to the bottom of the fuselage.

X30
Old May 22, 2013, 10:32 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,721 Posts
Glad to see you making progress on this project! Looking forward to it flying!

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Aug 2007
426 Posts
I was called to help with some level 1 HPR certifications yesterday.
Because I was going to a launch anyway I rushed and finished up the mods on the small X-2 for rocket powered flight. I did manage to squeeze in 3 flights in between the certification flights. The first flight was in the manual mode and the little X-2 flew very well. The second used the guardian in the 3D mode, this mode works great! No roll deviations during boost and a real locked in feel during the entire flight.
The last flight I used the 3D mode during boost and rolled the X-2 inverted at the top to see if the 2D mode would do an auto recovery and again the guardian worked very well. It put the X-2 back in straight and level flight. In this mode it does resist turns, this gives it an unusual feel. I went back to 3D for the landing. I used an Estes E-9 for the tests. Using this heavy and inefficient motor moved the C/G forward 1-5/16 from ignition to burnout. The little X-2 handled this very well.
I did not have a chance to change my camera settings so the model does occasionally go out of focus during the video. My photographer forgot to open the shutter for the second flight, so we only captured the first and third fights.

X30

Small X2 rocket tests 1 and 3 (1 min 23 sec)
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:28 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
862 Posts
I want one of those hats. Nice flights too but too short.

Richard
Old Jun 06, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
426 Posts
Quote:
I want one of those hats.
Ya, stylish too!
Quote:
Nice flights too but too short.
I was surprised that this draggy flat plate model with all the crap hanging off of it flew as well as it did.
Having the electric power system on it gave me some decent flight time and a chance to get this thing dialed in.
I wanted to see how it would boost and handle the C/G change.
On all of the rocket flights I mixed the ailerons in with the elevator.
This gave me nice pitch authority even with a very forward C/G with all the propellant gone.

X30
Old Jun 06, 2013, 09:07 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
I wanted to see how it would boost and handle the C/G change.
On all of the rocket flights I mixed the ailerons in with the elevator.
This gave me nice pitch authority even with a very forward C/G with all the propellant gone.X30

Thats a good datum to know! I'm currently bashing a Titan [Air Hogs] into a RCRG and will incorporate that on the second model which will have ailerons. First one is RE only.

Richard
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
426 Posts
What a crazy schedule Iíve had. Between the Warbirds Over Texas event and a 3-week family RV trip itís been some time since Iíve had a chance to work on the X-2.
It is starting to look more like the real deal. From the photos you can see just how the project is moving along. Iíve also included a link to a short clip of my 2 fights at Warbirds Over Texas this year.
I have just two months remaining to get this thing done in time for Balls.

X30
ME 163 at WBOX 2013 (4 min 43 sec)
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:24 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
862 Posts
Wow! That 163 is a fast glider. It surprised me with its glide speed. Nice.

Richard
Old Jul 15, 2013, 01:07 PM
Builder of flying things
United States, TX, Blackwell
Joined Dec 2010
124 Posts
Dave, so glad to hear you'll be at balls. So will I, so I'm looking forward to seeing this fantastic creation fly.

See ya there!

Jim Ballard
TRA10883 L3
fyrechaser is offline Find More Posts by fyrechaser
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Electric Flight
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
The vid is fantastic. If I were closer to you, I'd offer to help sand to get you ready!
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000