How come i'm always broke then?
Might have something to do with the price of beer in Norway
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:14 PM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
665 Posts
Seriously, the price puts Jeti to same class with 12FG/FX-30. Of course the magnesium case is nice but in the end it all depends on software and high end Futabas are strong in that area.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:53 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torgust View Post
You really think that is expensive for a 16 channel Tx with unlimited mixing, telemetry, great design +++ ?

Of course I'm speaking from the general prices here i Norway. And here this would be a fair price for such a Tx.

As a comparison
- Futaba 14 MZ cost 2750 USD here in Norway
- Graupners MC-32 IFS will cost well over 2000 USD (if it ever arrives). The HOTT version will probably cost less.
- Hitec offers as their top notch only a 9-ch Tx. Price is 700 USD
- Spektrum Dx8 cost approx 625 USD

But then again. The Hitec and Spectrum radios listed here is not at all comparable with Jetis DC-16 so spending the few extra bucks to get Jeti DC-16 is no problem as I see it
Yes and no

I can see that the local prices for your are exorbitant and so it slots into that market.

Certainly to compete in the global market the price will have to be halved, like the Hitec A9 and Spektrum DX8 which are $300-400 in other markets.

Of course Jeti may not care about the global market and are happy enough with the European business.

The truth is that all of those Tx are outrageously over priced. Consider that you can get a high-function 9ch Tx for $80 with very flexible programming including excellent PC integration. Of course the quality is not the same but there is a long way between $80 and $1000 to allow for better mechanical/assembly quality and a few extra features.

There is of course no meaningful difference in cost between a 9ch and a 16ch Tx, maybe a few dollars for extra switches and knobs and a slightly faster CPU.

As another example, XPS have announced their 16ch Tx with very similar features to the Jeti, including full telemetry integration, voice synthesis, user-definable menus etc. and all for $249.

The Jeti Tx is clearly targeting the luxury market where people are prepared to pay very high margins for what they perceive to be premium products. It will certainly be interesting to see how well it works and sells.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:27 PM
slope addict
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
34 Posts
Could'nt agree with you more. Prices here are quite stiff

So! If I can get the DC-16 for half of their current MRSP, noone will be more satisfied than me

Regarding XPS/IFS we are really talking astronomical prices here in Norway. $220 for a 8 ch Rx that will fit in my gliders
So unless XPS opens up for European sales through other channels than Graupner it's not likely to see those prices over here. But the consept of Open Source Tx-programming might bring some exciting new stuff. Time will show

To compare the DC-16 with Dx8 is just not fair in my opinion. The Dx8 does'nt even have a decent gliderprogram, whereas DC-16 will have both gliderprogram and unlimited mixes available. This is two different worlds.
A more fair comparison would be the Dx10 which has a list price at around $1500 but are sold for around $1100. I would have no problems choosing the DC-16 at $950 over the Dx10. Of course the DC-16 will have to deliver as promised first

Enough said. I like the DC-16 and will wait for it to come out in the final production version first. Both in software and hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Yes and no

I can see that the local prices for your are exorbitant and so it slots into that market.

Certainly to compete in the global market the price will have to be halved, like the Hitec A9 and Spektrum DX8 which are $300-400 in other markets.

Of course Jeti may not care about the global market and are happy enough with the European business.

The truth is that all of those Tx are outrageously over priced. Consider that you can get a high-function 9ch Tx for $80 with very flexible programming including excellent PC integration. Of course the quality is not the same but there is a long way between $80 and $1000 to allow for better mechanical/assembly quality and a few extra features.

There is of course no meaningful difference in cost between a 9ch and a 16ch Tx, maybe a few dollars for extra switches and knobs and a slightly faster CPU.

As another example, XPS have announced their 16ch Tx with very similar features to the Jeti, including full telemetry integration, voice synthesis, user-definable menus etc. and all for $249.

The Jeti Tx is clearly targeting the luxury market where people are prepared to pay very high margins for what they perceive to be premium products. It will certainly be interesting to see how well it works and sells.
torgust is offline Find More Posts by torgust
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:35 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
To compare the DC-16 with Dx8 is just not fair in my opinion. The Dx8 does'nt even have a decent gliderprogram, whereas DC-16 will have both gliderprogram and unlimited mixes available. This is two different worlds.
A more fair comparison would be the Dx10 which has a list price at around $1500 but are sold for around $1100. I would have no problems choosing the DC-16 at $950 over the Dx10. Of course the DC-16 will have to deliver as promised first
Well, the DC-16 is supposed to be a 16 CH TX. DX 8 has only half (=8 CH), DX 10 has 10 CH (I assume). So here will be a significant difference. From all I read so far the new Jeti TX is comparable to the high end TX from Graupner or Futaba. Thus the price. And from all I know the price will be at least comparable to those TX.

Those who want to buy a more low cost TX with less options will have to go for the Graupner MX-12 / MX-16 that Jeti starts to sell with already inbuilt Jeti Duplex.

But I am quite sure that Jeti will bring low cost versions of the new TX with less options / channels and less price.

For me it sounds to be a good idea to start with a fully engineered high end transmitter and then drop options for a low cost variant rather than vice versa.

I am confident that the hand held TX will be better than my MX24s I have now. In that case I go for it!

Cheers
Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Well, the DC-16 is supposed to be a 16 CH TX. DX 8 has only half (=8 CH), DX 10 has 10 CH (I assume). So here will be a significant difference.
Not to the cost, only to the price
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:12 AM
Joined Aug 2006
54 Posts
What about Futaba

With all of these brilliant new transmitters coming out, what is Futaba doing? Seems like they're getting fat and lazy, and no longer the leaders.
Frederick_r is offline Find More Posts by Frederick_r
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:15 AM
The truth will prevail
Westbury, NY
Joined Nov 2009
682 Posts
Quote:
You really think that is expensive for a 16 channel Tx with unlimited mixing, telemetry, great design +++ ?

Of course I'm speaking from the general prices here i Norway. And here this would be a fair price for such a Tx.

As a comparison
- Futaba 14 MZ cost 2750 USD here in Norway
- Graupners MC-32 IFS will cost well over 2000 USD (if it ever arrives). The HOTT version will probably cost less.
- Hitec offers as their top notch only a 9-ch Tx. Price is 700 USD
- Spektrum Dx8 cost approx 625 USD

But then again. The Hitec and Spectrum radios listed here is not at all comparable with Jetis DC-16 so spending the few extra bucks to get Jeti DC-16 is no problem as I see it
Hitec radios are in every aspect advantegeous against Jeti radios (except the number of channels)
Programming the A9 via touchscreen is much more advanced than that of the Jeti TX ( btw only a dummy was shown at the Nuernberg fair) Jeti is by far too expensive and its telemetry so far is not integrated and it comes with many small boxes around your TX.
If you compare the new and incomplete Jeti TX against the $450 Walkera www.devention.com (you have to wait 3 minutes until all movies are downloaded to your PC) then its price is outrageous.
And of course as it has not been tested by the FCC you are not allowed to fly with it in US.

The above price information for Norway is by far not correct. We all live in a global market where we can order from everywhere on this planet. So, if the price for the A9 is $349 in US and if you have to pay only for transportation and if you have to pay additional for import taxes it will never ever cost $ 700 when imported to Norway. Even in EU you get an A9 much cheaper.

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Apr 2006
220 Posts
I am not sure if the Walkera Tx has telemtry capabilities like Jeti does. I did not see anything on their web site that indicates that it does.

Le fou
le fou is offline Find More Posts by le fou
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Right and the UI is poorly designed based on the videos I have seen, but I think he was using it as an example to show that a functionally high-end Tx with lots of channels, switches and a fancy colour touch screen can be sold profitably for a lot less than the suggested price of the new Jeti. As a feature, telemetry doesn't add much cost to the Tx since the electronics are already there, it is just additional software.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:17 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock View Post
Hitec radios are in every aspect advantegeous against Jeti radios (except the number of channels) Programming the A9 via touchscreen is much more advanced than that of the Jeti TX ( btw only a dummy was shown at the Nuernberg fair)
Jeti is by far too expensive and its telemetry so far is not integrated and it comes with many small boxes around your TX.
If you compare the new and incomplete Jeti TX against the $450 Walkera www.devention.com (you have to wait 3 minutes until all movies are downloaded to your PC) then its price is outrageous.
It would probably be fair to wait until the Jeti TX is actually released, instead of making baseless claims about how these systems compare when no-one actually knows what the Jeti will do....
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:22 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Oh come on mate, that would be rational and sensible and fair minded. Where's the fun in that?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:27 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
768 Posts
touche
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:21 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Hitec radios are in every aspect advantegeous against Jeti radios (except the number of channels)
Interesting. So you are the one that has had the one and only Jeti TX (if it does exist) to test the software.

Sorry but no one in public saw the Jeti software nor had the chance of doing the programming. Until opinions like this (this is merly an opinion rather than a fact ) come up we have to see the final Jeti TX with its software. This will hopefully be the case in fall.

Just my 2ct.

Cheers
Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:41 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Programming the A9 via touchscreen is much more advanced
Juergen
I'm not sure if Juergen just has issues with Jeti or with all products that are not Hitec A9?

My fear is that we will all end up with touch screens in the future because designers and not users will incorporate them into all new products. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong because they are difficult/impossible to use without looking at them which is something you don't want to do when flying. Buttons and dials, OTOH can be accessed without taking your eye off the model allowing you to make minor trim/mixing adjustments in flight.

And I commend Jeti for putting the screen in the right place, unlike Hitec, Futaba, JR and Spektrum who all put them at the bottom. I use a DX6i for indoor models and even changing model memories requires me to remove the neckstrap to see what's going on.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale