HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2009, 03:06 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Discussion
Indoor Flying...

Ok Guys...this thread is to keep people in the loop on my efforts to get an indoor flying site secured every 7 to 14 days.

Thus far contacted:

Soccer Nation (doesn't looks too likely, as they are booked)

Vacaville Christian School (they have several gyms...not sure if they are interested)

Any other school suggestions. If you have a suggestion, an idea of who to contact would be nice.

- Richard Carlton
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2009, 03:20 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
The Christian school sounds good and Todd and I were working on the Vacaville gym, but got no where.

Sure would be great for winter!

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 05, 2009, 06:07 PM
G Stanton
Dixon, CA
Joined Jan 2003
75 Posts
Indoor flying........sounds interesting! Good idea for when the weather sucks and we need to get a flying fix. I'll need to come up with something small, or build something small, that can be flown indoors. No problem!

As soon as I can I will find out of the new Dixon High School gym is available any nights.

Gary S.
Gary Stanton is offline Find More Posts by Gary Stanton
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:46 PM
USA, CA, Vacaville
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
How about that cheer leading place across from Kiser hospital?

Mike
M Bentley is offline Find More Posts by M Bentley
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:48 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
I haven't talked to the Cheerleading place. I do have an interview and flight demo tonight at 6PM with a prospective business. They are uncertain about the safety, and I can understand that...seeing how some of the folks fly at LV. LOL.

I will be demoing tonight, and will negotiate with them, once they are satisfied with the safety of a 6 oz indoor plane.

The permissible aircraft allowed in the facility will be quite limited. Any damaged caused by the pilot will be the immediate responsibility of the pilot.

Since I am personally underwriting this effort, I will be establishing the rules, so as to prevent damage to business facility.

- Richard
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:12 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,839 Posts
So how did it go?

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:06 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,498 Posts
Please don't tell me you did the demo with the big Yak?!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:09 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Jon,

I flew a demo with a Osirus, which is a great Plane...but too much for most people in that space. The big picture is that we will need a larger facility... but for now, most everyone can fly the Vapor type plane...with TONS of room to spare...or another indoor Parkzone plane. The 4-Sight 250 is going to be too fast for most all the pilots. I'll be practicing with the Osirus and 4-Sight, and probably a Threlone...which is a prototype from another MFG.

I haven't opened this event up to the public, because I want to keep this event controlled, and I need to ensure the skills of each pilot present...becuase I have personally pay the bill...if they break something.

You guys...send me an email, and I'll send you an invite...for next Weds evening, 6 to 8 PM in Vacaville.

- Richard
rick@rcconsulting.com

p.s. Don, not sure you going to want to play. I don't see EDF's working out here. LOL :-)
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:03 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,839 Posts
I've got a vapor AND a parkzone su-26 I could bring along

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Will the e-flite Nieuport 17 250 work in there?
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:00 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
John,

I really don't know. I think big picture we want a larger facility, but for the moment we are getting our feet wet. To my knowledge, I am the only one who has been seriously pursuing this issue. I think if we had access to the Soccer Nation Facility next door, we would be fine. This facility is taller...but not a wide.

Soccer Nation folks have told me point blank that they have NOTHING available thru the end of January. I asked about February, and they dropped of the Radar. We need to find someone else big a BIG empty warehouse.

- RC
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:00 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
are we still working on this? let me know what venues you guys are interested in and i will see what contacts i have.
timmins02 is offline Find More Posts by timmins02
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:15 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
I actually started negotiations for the indoor ice skating rink today, and have had good success. The bottom line is that during the winter, which is their busy time...we really can't get evenings. So winter availability would be only 10AM till about 1:30PM. Frankly, few people will want to attend. The price issue is still up for grabs. Plus this place is icy cold...so from the stand point of being warm and snuggly...while its storming outside...its not going to happen here.

Because of a contest I have to attend shortly, I will be trying this facility out for several day in the late AM. I am paying for this out of pocket, and will report back my observations.

We may be able to get evening slots in another Month or so...but its still going to be icy cold.

The Gymnastics area is full of airplane eating obstacles...so I don't see that flying very well. I'll check it out tomorrow and get a better read on that too.

- Richard
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:35 AM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
I've heard the 4 in 1/5 in 1 in most of eflites stuff doesnt like the cold. i was just thinking about the ice rink as well.

I fly inside the hangers at Travis all the time, and having a venue of that size in vacaville with other people would be great.
timmins02 is offline Find More Posts by timmins02
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:16 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Ok,

So rink flying started today and continues. I was there practicing for the EFX competition...and after two hours...my feet and hands were frozen. A big hanger would be nice, but there isn't really facilities open like that I am aware of base...atleast that people are willing to share for a few bucks.

I am flying Thunder Power 2S-350's on the F3P planes...with standard gear, and no problems. I just make sure the batteries are room temperature before I go waltzing in there.

- Richard