Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:57 PM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
Build Log
1.65m YF-23 Twin EDF (150%)

Hi Guys,

I'm in the finishing stages of building my 1.1m twin 50mm EDF / Pusher YF-23 in 6mm depron,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854129

and I'm steadily working towards building a 9mm Depron version which would scale up nicely 150% giving a 1660mm x 1042mm size.

I've found a really good comparable aircraft to base the equipment spec. The freewing Su35 - it is almost exactly the same length/width.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562646

I'm looking at using 2x 70mm Wemotec Evo units, with het 2w-20 motors, which should give me 820 watts.

crude estimated 2.5kg : 90 ounces. I should be getting about 1640 total watts. So that is about 300 watts per pound Just how I like my EDFs!

Probably twin 80A ESC's and 5300mah Gens ace 30c Battery (6s)

Looking at these retacts :-
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...34_mentor.html

I would love to hear any thoughts on my setup....

Thanks

Craig
Clickety is online now Find More Posts by Clickety
Last edited by Clickety; Feb 12, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 09:58 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,588 Posts
Oh man..ill be watching! Those motors are meant for 4s..they will fry real quick on 6s
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 07, 2014, 12:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
You are right, my mistake should be 4s battery. The motor & fan spec was suggested to me by Don at wicked.
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
Plans printed..
Old Feb 09, 2014, 03:03 AM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
Calculations

I've completed an excel sheet to help me estimate costs weights and CG position. see attached.

I used my CAD software (Rhino) to calculate volumes, to give me weights of depron, light ply etc. and I shifted the electronic items around to make space for the undercarriage / edf etc. I also added an estimated 10% ontop of actual weights to allow glue, filler and paint.

With the Wemotec Evo 2w20 setup on twin 2550mah 25c 4s batteries, I can get the weight down to just under 2.5kg, giving me the desired performance at 300w/lb.

To offset the weight of the undercarriage, I've moved the EDF units back around 88mm from my original plans to get the desired CG position.

Using my current suppliers, the costs for the complete project are estimated at around 450, so this isn't going to be a quick build due to budget restrictions.

See screen dump attached (tube in foreground is the same size as my mug of coffee to get a sense of scale)

My aim is to purchase all the electronic components first then start the build with actual parts in my hands, so there are no surprises. So I think this is around a 6-8 month project for me.

I'm also looking at modifying the air intake shapes and detail from the 100% version to give it a more scale appearance. I didn't worry on the smaller models too much as they are designed for belly landings and will eventually look messy.

will keep you posted...

I was also looking at the Changesun 70, does anyone know how this compares with the Wemotec Minifan evo?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:13 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,529 Posts
i9 have a C/S 70 12blade ...i really like the sound ,but i hav'nt been impressed with the performance verse/amp draw,and flight times . the good ole HET 6904 fan is hard to beat
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
Hi Air Sally, Yeah I love the sound of these high blade counted fans too - totally awesome. The Het 6904 looks like its the standard to beat. This is why I was looking at the wemotec minifan evo. quality brand with 11 blades. The reviews look good, but I'm pretty new to EDF, so I'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction.

This is looks a good thread about it :-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1980740

Looking at the LX hobbies yf-23 which is 300mm shorter than mine makes me wonder if I should uprate the system. I originally was limited to the max weight of the undercarriage, but I have found a tougher landing gear system, so I could go to 5 or 6s to get a better speed. would be great to touch 100mph with it, or am I dreaming....

I originally wanted to use 90mm, but is looks like the 90mm edf units are a little bit big for the installation, and at that scale it all starts going up in build cost.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:48 AM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
I scaled and measured the original YF-23 plans, and it really could use a trailing link arrangement for the rear wheels as when folded up, there is little space in the belly, and they are quite unique in folding backwards. The trailing link puts the wheel behind the leg, so that the wheel when in the up position is above the leg. Makes it much easier to package.

The measured sizes of the plans are :-

Front gear - Wheel = 49.5mm, centre of wheel to centre of leg axis = 117mm.
Rear Gear - Wheel = 63mm, centre of wheel to centre of leg axis = 94mm (measured vertically - not aligned).

The nearest landing gear set I can find to date is :-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21165

Almost perfect at the rear, front is 29mm short.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
I need this nose landing gear only! I think! (+ it is cheaper!)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_Jet.html

I think this nosewheel is a bit heavy.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0mm_T_33_.html
Last edited by Clickety; Feb 12, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
FOUND IT!!! This one! I can simply substitute the Mig nosewheel with this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_1pc.html

It has a 5m pin size, and is 108mm long (+ say 5mm longer to the pivot axis of the retract = 113mm). only 4mm shorter than scale. Hopefully I can swap the wheel which is 50mm dia - perfect size.

The Rear wheels :-

The Wheels are 64mm which is perfectly scale, and 91mm (+ 5mm longer to pivot axis = 96mm) which is again perfectly scale.

Just got to find a way to make the nosewheel turn with rudder operation as it was designed as a main wheel leg.....

Just got to wait until pay day now....
Last edited by Clickety; Feb 12, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
I will need to order one of these

Door and Gear sequencer...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Display.html
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:58 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,024 Posts
Good choice. I got one for my Scorpion. Not installed yet, but lots of guys in the Jet Talk forum have used it, with great results.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,588 Posts
i have one of those but havnt tried it yet
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
673 Posts
I wish I could order these parts now but I''ve just paid still for my twin 50 mm wicked wemotec EDF units to come from America. That's this month's pocket money gone!!!!
(that sounds strange coming from a 42-year-old man!!)
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:16 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickety View Post
I wish I could order these parts now but I''ve just paid still for my twin 50 mm wicked wemotec EDF units to come from America. That's this month's pocket money gone!!!!
(that sounds strange coming from a 42-year-old man!!)
Not so strange-- I had much more money 15-20 years ago. It doesn't go very far these days. I planned ahead for my builds, last fall. when I finally got my pension, one lump sum to bring it up to date-- so I went SHOPPING!!! Broke NOW!!

Go everything to finish the Scorpion, and a real good start for the F-86F.. Robart retracts and struts are pricy. Oh, and another ESC.. So I can go for awhile yet.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake