Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:02 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
Discussion
3D printed multirotor thread!

Hello all,
I recently bought myself a 3D printer so I could design my own parts and multirotors! While I haven't yet designed my first multirotor I have printed someone else's design and it looks awesome! Cannot wait to get it in the air. I will post pictures when I get the chance to take some.

I would like this thread to be dedicated to all 3d printed multirotors! Post your pics, setups and 3D printer used to create your quad.

Also, if you want to design your own but do not yet own a 3d printer I would be glad to print your design after reviewing it..... I am sure other members would also be willing to lend their printers as well! If you would like a design that has been downloaded from somewhere such as thingiverse I would like to have the authors permission before printing.

Here is a few pictures of items I have printed so far. I am still new at printing!
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
Last edited by helifrek; Jan 31, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:51 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,594 Posts
very cool ! how strong is that 1st piece ?
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Feb 01, 2014, 09:16 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
It is actually pretty strong. I was surprised when I printed it out to see how strong this plastic is. It is a little flexible but not bad at all.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:06 PM
Ghent Belgium
Joined Jul 2006
126 Posts
Nice, did u use abs plastic?
Drill is offline Find More Posts by Drill
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:35 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
Yes abs! I have heard negative things about pla for my intended purpose. Working on my own design quad right now. Will post pics once it is finished!
Old Feb 03, 2014, 09:23 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
851 Posts
I would like to join your thread, good to hear another 3D printer owner. Nice frame too. I also got my PP3D Ups 3D printer last year and put it too good use. Since then i seldom buy stuff online and instead build my own custom 3D printed products. Just recently build my own custom design mini mutltirotor FPV ready platform. It flew well and looks great. You can download sample of my 3D print ready models at my website below. I also got some other stuff you might interested to aide your 3D printing stuff.

XL-RCM 6.0 EXO: Mini HD quad frame for V929/HK Q-Bot

Click Details and Download links: http://www.supermotoxl.com/Real-obje...nu-id-118.html

Photos:

ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Feb 03, 2014, 09:38 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
That is a beautiful design you have there. looks like it has an fpv camera as well as a Mobius? I am not the biggest fan of brushed motors but it sure does bring the cost and weight down I bet.
I am currently working on a friends tricopter. The yaw mechanism went out so I am designing a new one. I also designed some motor mounts as he had the motors zip tied on!
I think he will be happy with it once I am finisihed!
Old Feb 03, 2014, 09:53 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifrek View Post
That is a beautiful design you have there. looks like it has an fpv camera as well as a Mobius? I am not the biggest fan of brushed motors but it sure does bring the cost and weight down I bet.
I am currently working on a friends tricopter. The yaw mechanism went out so I am designing a new one. I also designed some motor mounts as he had the motors zip tied on!
I think he will be happy with it once I am finisihed!
Not mobius, i'm using 808 #16 HD v2 to keep it light weight, the images not bad at all looks good. So far i'm quite happy with coreless because it keeps the weight down. I'm a brushless fan too but building quad this size had to be coreless.

My next project will be on 450 quad stuff with 800KV brushless.

Helifrek, What 3D program you use to design 3D stuff? I'm using Z-modeler.
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Feb 03, 2014, 10:05 AM
Belgium
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
nice and great ending quality, never seen that before!

are you happy with the flashforge 3d printer?
nexty is offline Find More Posts by nexty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyX-Vision: Is almost there!
Old Feb 03, 2014, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2013
76 Posts
Not quite scratch built... My 3D Printed Blade 350 qx Frame

The body and motor mounts are printed on a MakerGear M2.The arms are 1/2" carbon fiber tubes. Hoping to get it in the air soon.

The blade-span is much wider than the stock 350 QX. I'm hoping for more stable flight for aerial video.

Short term goals and to-do's:
  • Mount circuit boards
  • Design landing gear and mount compass module.
  • Extend wiring from ESC's out to motors
  • Perform first test flight!
I plan on having these done by Friday 2/7/14

Long Term Goals and to-do's:
  • Mount motor LED's.
  • InstallTarot-2D Gimbal.
  • Make a cool looking body cover
  • Install FPV system.
I plan on having these done by March 1st

I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Wish me luck!
JohnnyRobot is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyRobot
Old Feb 03, 2014, 11:30 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
I use 123d design, it is probably the easiest to use although I am sure it is lacking in some areas. For a beginner like me I feel it is perfect.
I am very happy with the flashforge, I really have no complaints because it works great and is probably the most affordable in its class. I have no prior experience with 3d printing or modeling and I was able to print within a few hours of receiving the flashforge in the mail. Bought mine from justpla.com because they still have them on blackfriday sale for some reason.
Johnny that is a very nice design. Seems like everyone likes to print with white abs! I will have to try out my green and blue soon. I am waiting on some better calipers to measure my filament.
Old Feb 03, 2014, 11:47 AM
Joined Oct 2013
76 Posts
I'll post some more photos soon. (screenshots of design, close-ups, etc...)
Old Feb 03, 2014, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2013
76 Posts
Helifreak, Have you used both ABS and PLA? I haven't printed in ABS yet. Only PLA. I'm wondering what the differences are. Do you prefer one to the other?
Old Feb 03, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Nov 2013
29 Posts
Is there anyone here that lives in the USA and would be willing to print a mount for a monitor??
I would definitely pay for shipping and whatever you spend with materials printing it...
please let me know =)

thanks
dipasos4 is offline Find More Posts by dipasos4
Old Feb 03, 2014, 01:17 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipasos4 View Post
Is there anyone here that lives in the USA and would be willing to print a mount for a monitor??
I would definitely pay for shipping and whatever you spend with materials printing it...
please let me know =)

thanks
Email me the file and I will take a stab at it. Same screen name @aol.com

As for abs vs pla. I haven't used pla but abs has been working great for me so far. I plan to make gears for things eventually and abs is supposed to be more durable. Also if you leave pla in a hot car it will warp! Another reason I choose abs.