HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:59 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
I remember asking him if it was Klass Koat, he said it wasn't but didn't remember what it was. He said he still has some of the paint left but I don't want to bug him anymore, he's already done a lot for me.

I'm going to have to go back with the OS70 4C he had in it. The mount is too small for a 60 2C and I don't want to go changing the mount after the plane is already buttoned up. I just have to reassemble the 70 that came with the plane. It is the pumped version too, never had a pumper engine before.

I ordered a new wing rod yesterday from Troy Built Models, very reasonable price compared to other CF stores. I think I'm going to have to obtain a couple of slim aileron servos, the cut outs for the servos are too narrow for standard servos.

I have the nose section about ready to be glassed, just some small areas to fill and sand. I hope to have this plane flying by next weekend if the engine still runs OK. I can't believe how light the empty fuselage is even with my repairs.

Your wing's looking good. Which version are you building? The IV?

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:47 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
Here's mine with the nose repair, it was pretty busted up. FWIW when I picked up one of the wing panels the aileron came off in my hand, which is why I always pin my control surfaces.

Rick
Last edited by shootnstarz; Jul 23, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2009
427 Posts
I'm building the 4. I'll attach a picture of the wing jig we used to make sure the halves were 0/0 (BTW, that's his shop in the pic...he's spoiled).

Is your's the 3? It looks like the distance from canopy to tail is shorter but it looks bigger than the kits from Eureka.

Tim
Timthetoolman is offline Find More Posts by Timthetoolman
Last edited by Timthetoolman; Jul 24, 2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:51 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
I have no idea what version it is other than I'm sure it's not the first. I'm not sure it isn't a hybrid as the lines between all the versions seem to be blurry to me.

Rick
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:19 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
I remember asking him if it was Klass Koat, he said it wasn't but didn't remember what it was. He said he still has some of the paint left but I don't want to bug him anymore, he's already done a lot for me.

I'm going to have to go back with the OS70 4C he had in it. The mount is too small for a 60 2C and I don't want to go changing the mount after the plane is already buttoned up. I just have to reassemble the 70 that came with the plane. It is the pumped version too, never had a pumper engine before.

I ordered a new wing rod yesterday from Troy Built Models, very reasonable price compared to other CF stores. I think I'm going to have to obtain a couple of slim aileron servos, the cut outs for the servos are too narrow for standard servos.

I have the nose section about ready to be glassed, just some small areas to fill and sand. I hope to have this plane flying by next weekend if the engine still runs OK. I can't believe how light the empty fuselage is even with my repairs.

Your wing's looking good. Which version are you building? The IV?

Rick
Hi Rick,
I suspect it is PPG. I have some primer that Rae gave me that I think he bought from the same place....

later,
Mel D>
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:30 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
Thanks Moose. I'm going ahead and shoot Ron an email and ask him. I can't imagine trying to paint half the fuselage is going to be all that great a job anyway but I do want the plane to be worthy of it's heritage.

Come fly with us sometime !!!!

Rick
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:37 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
You were right Moose, it's PPG concept acrylic urethane, about $25 a pint plus hardener and reducer. I went by Ron's today and he gave me what he had left although I don't think there's enough to do the job.

He has nothing on the building board and said he's just lost all motivation, it doesn't sound like he'll ever compete again. Once it cools off a bit I'm going to prod him to come out and start flying again. The loss of his wife really seems to have sucked the life out of him.

Rick
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:06 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,043 Posts
I think that would be a great idea. I lost my main flying buddy down here (moved to be with the grand kids....) and have not flown regularly since. Getting out is a good thing and being pestered till you do can help.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:24 AM
CPA 30, SPA 523
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2009
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
You were right Moose, it's PPG concept acrylic urethane, about $25 a pint plus hardener and reducer. I went by Ron's today and he gave me what he had left although I don't think there's enough to do the job.

He has nothing on the building board and said he's just lost all motivation, it doesn't sound like he'll ever compete again. Once it cools off a bit I'm going to prod him to come out and start flying again. The loss of his wife really seems to have sucked the life out of him.

Rick
Are you talking about Ron Chidgey? That's saddening that he isn't participating in it. I was really looking forward to talking with him in Alabama this October.
I haven't been in RC all that long and some of these stories are fun to hear.
I was torn about making the TT4 kits and not talking to him about it. I tossed around the idea of calling him but didn't know if I'd be intruding.

I know someone else lost his wife this year and I was excited to see him be able to cope with it. I don't know him that well but it gave me the warm fuzzies. I guess to me it meant he'd be alright to see him get back into life and living. I look forward to talking to him this fall too. He's been in this a while too...at least his flying indicates that :-)

Tim
Timthetoolman is offline Find More Posts by Timthetoolman
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:47 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
Yep Tim, Ron Chidgey. And yes it is sad to see his shop void of any competition aircraft in any stage of completion. He's such a craftsman, competitor and hell of a nice guy he will be missed if he doesn't get back into it. He seemed pretty impressed with my repair job on the crashed TT I got from him and gave me a lot of info on trying to match the two paint jobs.

I did call him before I started my scratch built TT just to be sure he was OK with it, that's how I ended up with the crashed model.

Well Moose, come on out and start flying with us again and make some new friends to help you stay motivated. The sailplaner guys are increasing in number and fly at Rae Fritz Field quite often. We need more old timers and their vast experience.

Rick
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:02 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,043 Posts
Hi Rick,
I may just do that! I bought a new DX9 I need to break in and have several planes Rae built I need to maiden. Been working too much lately but am going to take some time off (I'm SUPPOSED to be retired!) in about two weeks. I'll shoot you a PM when I have some stuff ready.

later!
Mel D>
P.S. Want a framed up Mambo? Or an Alley Kat fuselage framed up?--mhd