HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
Help!
NQD Micro Craft Customization

Hi everyone!

I am new to model boating or any sort of RC modifications, so I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get.

Here is the product being sold:
http://sunyoktoys.en.alibaba.com/pro...d_rc_boat.html

Recently, I purchased a NewQiDa (NQD) RC boat.

Currently, I am looking at doing the following modifications:

-New Propellor
-Repaint
-Fill Holes in Hull
-Possibly Replace Motor (Upgrade)

I took it apart this morning and was looking at the motors but wasn't able to identify their specs. They also have resistors on them and I'm not too sure as to why as I do not ever build anything electronic. Upon further reading, I realized they are 130 types. What motor can I use to replace it?

Here is a picture of the broken propeller. I am not sure as to what size I need, but there is a "2" on the propeller that is still fine. I am also not sure as to how I should remove the propeller. I tried pulling on it, but it won't come off.

Here are the holes I'd like to fill. I removed the railing on the boat because it didn't look good. They don't go all the way through, but cosmetically, I do not like them.

Here is the battery the boat uses in case this is needed to see what motors I need:

And here are two pictures of the boat and its model number. What paint should I use for it to be waterproof. I was thinking acrylic. The material of the boat is plastic.

I am not looking at spending a fortune. Just want a nice working boat to possibly get me into the hobby.

Thank you so much! Any help is awesome!
gustan is offline Find More Posts by gustan
Last edited by gustan; Jun 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,925 Posts
Micro boats

You should be asking on the Micro Boats Forum, as that is the type of stuff those guys do. Good luck.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
It's 11.5" long. Wasn't sure if that was a microcraft. How can i move this post over? Thanks
Old Jun 09, 2013, 05:39 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustan View Post
How can i move this post over?
Click on the word Report in the upper right hand corner of your post. In the drop down menu, click "move this thread". In the message box below, give the name of the new forum.
Don
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old Jun 09, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
So I ended ip trying to paint the boat in acrylic, however I noticed the paint would easily come off even when it was dry. Was told that I need to either Krylon coat it before, or wetsand it with fine grain sandpaper.

Also, I was finally able to get the prop off with a set of pliers. Still have no clue as to which propeller I should purchase
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
It's a plastic hull. You can't just paint it with regular paints and expect it to stay. Krylon Fusion is a recommended paint for plastics. I haven't used it yet though.

This boat, no matter what you do to it, will not get you into the hobby.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
Can I not have a craft that I modified at the least?

I guess you are right though, no need to even bother with it in that case. Will just throw the boat into my attic or something.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:14 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Sorry if I sounded harsh, but this same question with similar boats have been asked many times before. The money you spend trying to decently modify this would be better spent on a hobby grade boat. In fact, it may even cost the same as a hobby grade boat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1908221
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:33 AM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
It's fine. I was just looking at some cheap fixes.

It won't work without a prop, but those are only $3 for a set, i just dont know how to find a new pair.

Thanks for the painting tips. Will probably use krylon.

Motors are optional, but i found some:

http://bit.ly/11uBqob

Which look like they can replace the current ones. I just want this boat to go a little faster than 6 mph if i do replace them. Don't care if they're brushless or not.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:22 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,436 Posts
Kyosho Mini Z motors should be a drop in replacement that will definitely give you a boost in performance. However I'm not sure what the stock elecs of the boat can handle so I'd probably go with something above 45T. Another option would be to run a battery with a higher cell count (more voltage = more speed) Again though I'm not sure what the boats elecs can handle. I modded a larger NQD boat a few years ago by pulling the stock 380 motors and putting in Tamiya sport tuned 540 motors and then ran the boat on 9.6v instead of the stock 7.2v battery and it really woke the boat up and never burned up any electronics. I can't guarantee that you'll have the same luck with modding this smaller boat, but I can guarantee you'll have fun, and learn while doing it
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:32 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,850 Posts
For the props, it looks like they are handed for counter rotation, so there would be a left and right hand one. The "2" might refer to the shaft diameter. If the shaft is threaded, ideally you would be looking for props with the same number of blades, same overall diameter and a matching thread. If its not threaded, a threaded prop will epoxy on.
The "resistors" are actually interference suppression capacitors intended to allow the radio to work when the motors are running. An ebay search for "small DC motor", after a few pages, might reveal a selection of motors of the same physical size, but intended to run on a lower voltage. If they have the same shaft diameter so as to take the cog, they would be a drop-in replacement. Whether the electronics would stand the increased load is another question, as is whether the hull would handle a speed increase.
The hull moulding has a lot of radiused corners (transom, chine strakes) - these need to be crisp and sharp to cut drag at speed. A bit of quality time spent building these corners out and then squaring them back would probably be as good as a faster pair of motors, but without the risk of letting the smoke out of the electric bits.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
The props aren't threaded. Was trying to find a good hobby shop in my area, but the last 3 I went to only had 3-4 props. I never really checked to see what way they are facing so thanks for catching that!

The design of the motor housing stacks both motors up one on top of the other, which keeps them from moving. So for a replacement motor, it would need to be the same overall diameter and shape I suppose.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
An ebay search for "small DC motor", after a few pages, might reveal a selection of motors of the same physical size, but intended to run on a lower voltage. If they have the same shaft diameter so as to take the cog, they would be a drop-in replacement.

http://bit.ly/17uIuuj
I found those on eBay and I assume they would be faster. The shape is even the same, however I am not sure as to how to find the diameter of the shaft. All I know about the motors currently in the craft is that they're 130 type.

Looking at another ebay auction, I found a "model 130" that looks the same as the ones currently installed and they claim to have a 2mm shaft size. Are all type 130 motors the same and how can I tell the rpm of the one I have currently installed?
Last edited by gustan; Jun 22, 2013 at 03:37 PM.