Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 12, 2004, 09:57 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,311 Posts
Taping your first solo flight (full scale)

After a three month furlough, and first instructor MIA ....I have resumed flying with a great new instructor. Friday he tells me "depending on how I'm doing, he will be getting out on my next flight, or the one after".

Since it may not be possible for a family member to be present for the big occasion, my wife wants my instructor's wife to video-tape the flight. Anybody out there wish they had taped their first solo flight ? How important do other pilots think this is ? We think it would be neat to watch that evening, and in the years to come. Thanks !

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:46 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
My first solo was made not being aware I was going to make one; my instructor didn't "schedule" it.
After making a few touch and go practice landings one day, my instructor simply said that on this next one, come to a full stop. When I did, he opened his door and got out and said "Now do three more".

While that was a pretty exciting moment (in more ways than one), I'm not sure I'd want to actually document my first landing by myself. If not done perfectly, at best it would be an embarrasing reminder, and at worst, proof the insurance company could use against you

Seriously, I look back and don't miss having it on tape, but if you think it would be fun, then go for it (unless it might add to your already high level of stress at the moment)

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:54 AM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
My feeling on first anything

Maiden of plane
Solo
Baby's birth

Is that you don't want the evidence around.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:18 AM
Cedar Creek NC
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
whats the average time before flying solo, I went to the local airport here (Greys Creek NC) with my son to watch the takeoffs and landings and saw a friend who just started flying lessons take his first solo after only one and half hours....I had my "see what its like flight" this weekend and decided that a pilots ticket is in my future! :-)
harbinger1 is offline Find More Posts by harbinger1
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:55 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
If you get a good instructor, you will solo after you have made enough T&G's totally unassisted by him/her (even though you may not have noticed) to convince them that you have A., the skill, and B., the confidence.

Not one T&G before, and maybe only a couple T&G's after to be on the safe side. It's totally individual.
Same goes for when you're ready for your checkride; when your instructor thinks your ready. Not before, and hopefully real soon after.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:12 PM
Long Beach, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
28 Posts
My wife and my Dad sat on the bench by the runway with my instructor for my first solo. My wife taped all of the takeoffs and landings and my Dad shot stills of everything. We had our handheld transceiver tuned to the tower frequency so you could hear both sides of the radio traffic and the other traffic in the pattern. I fly out of WVFC at Palo Alto airport in northern California. I am SOOO glad my wife shot that video, it was very revealing and educational. And, like a kid (a 48 year old kid) I had to show it to everyone, friends, neighbors, anyone that I could pin down long enough. My Dad who is 84, and learned to fly a Taylor E2 through the CPTP program at HatBox field in Muskogee, Oklahoma, had big tears in his eyes when I brought the plane in and parked it. So, just to make a day of it, we tricked my Dad into getting into the plane with my instructor and my Dad flew a few laps around the pattern (the first time in 50 years). It was a day I will NEVER forget.
Thanks for listening!
Dave Anderson
DaveA95131 is offline Find More Posts by DaveA95131
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:22 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Highflight
My first solo was made not being aware I was going to make one; my instructor didn't "schedule" it.
After making a few touch and go practice landings one day, my instructor simply said that on this next one, come to a full stop. When I did, he opened his door and got out and said "Now do three more."
Highflight
My instructor basically did the same thing. We were at a controlled field, so she told me to do a full stop landing and taxi back for departure. At the end of the runway, she hopped out and told me to tell the tower it was my solo. Very cool!

Personally, I wouldn't video it. If you do it right, it will be very boring. If you do it wrong, you may not want it on tape....

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:50 PM
Oakland, ca, usa
Joined Oct 2000
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by harbinger1
whats the average time before flying solo, I went to the local airport here (Greys Creek NC) with my son to watch the takeoffs and landings and saw a friend who just started flying lessons take his first solo after only one and half hours....I had my "see what its like flight" this weekend and decided that a pilots ticket is in my future! :-)
Whatever you do, don't use that instructor if he really soloed someone after an hour and a half. Before I soloed, I had been drilled on all sorts of emergency and semi-emergency procedures. (What happens if the flaps failed and you'd never done a no flap landing? What about an engine quitting midfield? What about only flaps extending on one side?) I was drilled on all these before soloing. I also soloed at a class C airport so I had to be able handle all the radio work before. too.
jimbarstow is offline Find More Posts by jimbarstow
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:14 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
I've not been in that situation, but there's no need to be negative about it.

Get it taped if possible - if it's really a bad landing, sell it to the TV 'out-take' people (anonymously?). If it's embarrassing, don't show it to people but keep it for your own use to show yourself you've got better, or just erase it. If it's good, bore the pants of everyone and show it while having that silly grin!

Meanwhile, DaveA95131 - lovely story!

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
It's pressure you don't need in the cockpit. You'll remember it without the video..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:28 AM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,311 Posts
That is a good story Dave.

I don't know if I'll get it taped or not. It may not work out. Mostly I was curious if anyone really regretted not doing it. Enjoyed the replies.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:35 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
1970, Addison airport (north Dallas), my buddy Tom, super 8 movie....

absolutely make the tape... bring the camera from now on, when the instructor gets out on the fateful day, start it, zoom to wide angle, give it to him, and fly like a bird!
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:38 PM
Hey!!! Watch This!!!!!!!!
Central Louisiana
Joined Dec 2003
72 Posts
I was kinda scared to film my first solo because I didnt want to become a star on that show RealTV.
N777XS is offline Find More Posts by N777XS
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:30 PM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,311 Posts
Well, it happened. I wasn't expecting it at all today, so there was no camera, not even stills. After an hour, my instructor said "ok, let's go back" but when we got near the run-up area at the end of the runway, he said "pull over here....I'm gonna get out".

I still can't believe it. Three takeoffs, three landings.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:45 PM
Lear 35, GII, GIII pilot
Hazlehurst GA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
CONGRATS AL!
As an Instructor myself, I can say that it is as exciting for me as it is for the student.....a real sense of pride. I secretly video my students and so far the videos have not been used as evidence
I do so secretly only so they have no added pressure, but they like to show off their tape to everyone later.
So, tell us....did you get the 5 gal bucket of water dumped on your head while smiling for the camara, or shirt tail cut or both?
CONGRATULATIONS!
-Jason
agpilot24 is offline Find More Posts by agpilot24