Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,818 Posts
50"..... Perfect. I did my Taurus that size, on 3S 2600. Foam fully symettrical wing, 12.5 %, about 3 lbs rtf. Great flyer, easy to transport, affordable...
Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:42 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
HI Mark
I suspect mine may have a teensy-weensy little bit more power than your Taurus.

4S 3600, OS 3825-750 motor...

Maybe end of this year, if Chicago ever gets a flying season to try the new models out, I may have a big re-think on my sports flying drivetrains.

When I flew slimers, my usual engine was a 25, which can propel the right model very well. Have been looking to settle down in electrics now that LiPos have taken over - last few years have been somewhat sluggish on the aeromodelling front. Your 3S numbers sound a lot more attractive than the bigger 4S I've been leaning to of late.

Great thing about having your own custom design/build service is that you only have to buy two or three battery sizes, as they'll run any model you have for that pack size.

Did you ever publish your little Taurus plan? It's another of the classy looking birds from its era. Love those swept back tailfins too.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:10 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Well, I could have made the tailplane from 1/4" sheet balsa, but I went with pretty much my plan - a 1/4" thick balsa strip core capped top and bottom with 1/16" sheet balsa.

Yes, I know, I could have covered the lot in 1/16" sheet far faster too...

Whatever, the completed tailplane weighs around 55gm, though a little may disappear when I sand it down to section. The sheet of 1/4" x 4" x 36" balsa that didn't get the job weighs 75gm, for comparison, and it may have needed some help from another sheet.

Whatever, I now have a 3/8" thick tailplane with a good old fashioned tapered pair of elevators behind it.

Need to concentrate more - it's bad when you can't even stick to your own plan!

D
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:31 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,687 Posts
You'll be glad you built up the stab when you see the light coming through on an overhead pass.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Okay folks, I'm re-starting this down in 'Balsa Builders' as it seems to be attracting a readership. Though I must confess that I'm not moving it along like I used to...

Why? Up the top of 'Electric Airplanes' are a bunch of people who I don't care to waste any more time on. So, if I shuffle off to Balsa Builders, I can shut out Electric Airplanes and not have to scroll past it.

A secondary reason is that K-E-os and a V60 are getting in the way of months and even years long posts on models that could be put together in days by anyone who can figure out the best end of a screwdriver to hold, to be nice.

See you around, builders.

D
Closed Thread