Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
735 Posts
Discussion
Some New Accessories for Catherine (My Bristol Bay)

Well, since the last time I posted pictures of Catherine I've added a couple of things to the boat.

First, I added some "door knobs" onto the couple of doors on the cabin. You can see the two of them on the starboard side of the cabin here. They are a couple of ball studs taken from my RC trucks parts bin!!! I thought they worked out really well. Along with those, I added a couple of portholes to the rear of the cabin. I figured that the boat's cabin would probably have it's sleeping quarters back in that area, and that's why I added them where they are. You can also see a bit of the ladder that I made for going up onto the roof of the cabin for repairs and watch.

In this photo, you can see the porthole on the port side of the boat. You can also see another one of the doorknobs. Finally, you can see the ladder pretty well in this picture.

One thing that I made a tactical error on when doing the work was the positioning of the portholes. The two on the sides are just fine, as I figure they would be right along the back corner of the sleeping area...however, the one on the back ended up being right in the center...which means it's got a GREAT view of the rear mast. I don't know what I was thinking when I did this.

Well, I take that back...I do know. I thought to myself that the boat probably wouldn't have a porthole on the starboard side, then another one on the starboard side of the rear of the cabin. So I put it in the center.

It's not too big of a deal. The way I see it, I will just say that porthole is for allowing natural light into the cabin, and even with the mast there it would still work for that.

I plan on putting a battery operated tea light in the cabin, so that when I'm sailing in low light there will look like a lantern is back there flickering. I think that should be pretty cool.

Finally, I also added a small crew to the boat.

Here is Peter. He's currently on the bow of the boat, pretending he's Leonardo DiCaprio in "Titanic."

This is Robert, he's trying not to think about the fact that his first mate is pretending he's Leonardo DiCaprio in "Titanic."

The two crew members look better than the pictures show. It's pretty dark in the room I was taking the pictures in. I think I will order two more crew members, as I feel that this boat would probably have four people working on it.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the progress. I'm a little upset that I put that porthole where I did, but I can live with it. It's not too bad.

Just thought I'd share, thanks for looking!
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:21 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Those portholes, did you make em' ? looks good so far.
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
735 Posts
No, I bought them from HarborModels.com.

They were like $2.25 each. I don't think I could make something and have it come out as nice as they did. They're metal, with actual glass, and even though they aren't like it in the photos, they actually can open and close, which is cool.

And thanks!!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:30 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
No, I bought them from HarborModels.com.

They were like $2.25 each. I don't think I could make something and have it come out as nice as they did. They're metal, with actual glass, and even though they aren't like it in the photos, they actually can open and close, which is cool.

And thanks!!
No problem. The detail is amazing.
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,264 Posts
The porthole should be mounted sideways so they stay open.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:20 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
The porthole should be mounted sideways so they stay open.
Did not know that.

That is good to know. I will see if I can get them off of there. They have some glue holding them on, but I'm pretty sure I can probably pry them back up.

If not, they'll just remain closed always!!!!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:32 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
735 Posts
This was what I looked at when trying to figure out how to orient them.

It's just the first picture that they had of a porthole on Wikipedia.

Live and learn, I guess.

I'll just claim that they have locks on the inside of them to hold them open. That will work for me, I suppose.

Man, I really let myself down with these portholes. Here I thought they were going to be awesome, then I put one right in front of a mast and all three of them on 90 degrees from correct.

Oh well.