Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:21 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
The gear block is back on.

After I had a chance to look it over real good I discovered that the landing gear plywood block delaminated. The tristock and 90% of the first ply layer was still attached. I used some CA and relaminated the plywood then useed 30 min epoxy and 3/4" wood screws to attach it. The gear themselves bent slightly and I had to finagle them back into shape. A new 3 blade Biela prop is on a brown truck heading my way and should arive today. Tonight I will sand a little and recover the bottom side, mount the gear and prop and fly again this weekend.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:03 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
994 Posts
It is a tough call of how to manage gear blocking. Too fragile and it rips out too easily and welded in can cause major damage.

Over all... I've had better luck towards the welded in side.

Glad for you that the mishap wasn't serious.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
All fixed up and reay to fly again

I put the covering on last night and bolted the gear back on. She looks just like nothing happened. Weather is suposed to be cool this weekend but sunny so I will most likely head to the field and put her back up. She is a real good flyer.....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Well folks I flew it this past Sunday. She is a great flying bird. I did have an issue though. When in the air I noticed it sorta jumping or twitching when I used the ailerons. I decided after about 5 minutes in the air that something was definitly not right. I landed safetly thank god I started checking it out and what I found was the right aileron servo felt like it had stripped. I was flying on one aileron. It acted fine when I performed all the preflight checks. The one thing that I will do from now on is look at all the contorl surfaces working and I am going to hold onto them and work them back and forth before flight. Thats how I found the stripped servo. All is good and a new servo is on the way along with a new set of gears.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:06 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
Glad your work-of-art is ok, good catch, and good decision on landing... its so often these things start with a very subtle symptom such as you described.. thankfully the instincts do kick in pretty good.. especially when theres many hours, and many $$ to consider. Very good judgement on your part.

The stripped servo wouldn't be a Hitec karbonite-gear servo, would it?
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Hitec HS-5665MH. It is a high voltage high speed servo rated at 138 oz of torque. Whe I cllaed Hitec the guy said it is actauly 170 oz at 7.4v I think that the gear in the servo might have chipped or even cracked when the gear came off. The gear may have hit the arm and no matter what servo was in use it would have done the same with that much blunt force. I think the plane will be fine once it is replaced. Also per Hitec's recomendation I am going to take the push rod connector and move it back to the 1-1/4" slot in the arm so there is les stress on the servo. I feel that there will still be plenty of throw and it will make me feel a little better about it being in the air.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
Wow... I Googled that servo.. it has some great specs.. and its reasonable price.. and metal gear... makes me want to change out my trusty 645's..if that time comes.

Are you going to disassemble that servo and check out the gears?... I'm curious which one failed.. if it was actually a metal gear, or one of the nylon/plastic idlers(if there are any in that servo).. actually I'm curious if its ALL metal gear. If you get a chance grab a pic of that thing opened up.

Good info man.. Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Will do, I already opened it up and all the top end gears are metal. The Hitec rep said that they are the same gears as the 625MG servo. The gear that broke was the largeest middle gear on the outside rim of the teeth. The one on the bottom between the screw and the plastic gear.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive.. very cool.

Quite the drive-train on those.. That gear you called out looks like it has larger/longer teeth... interesting.. and with a drive-train like that.. its only stands to reason that the servo did get "jarred" just enough upon you're hard landing.

I'm sure you checked all control-horns and clevis-points along the way too... reason I say that, is I had an aileron control-horn that gave me fits for a bit on my kit-built(by me) Midwest Extra300..

Different plane/different story.. a long time ago... still my favorite though after over 10yrs...but my suspicious mind never forgot.. and must inquire.. haha.. Thanks for the pic, and thanks for sharing... Have a great day.