HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:01 AM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Build Log
Airfield Sky Trainer 55" Cessna 182 build and maiden

So having dabbled for many years in the RC car and boat, both nitro and electric flavors, I had always had the inkling to take the to skies. I tried my hand a helicopters and have a beautiful little fixed pitch bird that I enjoy when its not broken from the latest crash. In a frustrated effort to get effortlessly into the sky, I decided to see if my many hours of flying a plank in a simulator would translate well enough into the real world.

Enter my Airfield Sky Trainer 55" Cessna 182 from Nitroplanes.com. http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...g-v3-blue.html I wanted to get something big and stable yet able to be tossed around and have fun with. I had considered a 3 channel, but figured I'd probably get bored without ailerons to really have some fun with.

My camera man on my maiden flight wasn't the best at keeping in frame or managing a zoom so I wont bore you with all 15 minutes of footage. The flight went GREAT. I got it all ranged and trimmed perfectly and it responded really well. Landing was a little difficult because I had never done it outside of a simulator and things happen REALLY FAST in real life. My landing wasn't the best (I ditched it in an irrigation canal), but nothing broke so WOOHOOO!

Maiden Flight Air Field Skytrainer 55" Landing (0 min 35 sec)
Davedough is offline Find More Posts by Davedough
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:17 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Congrats on your first flight! I agree, it's a lot different flying in real life than in a simulator. My advice would be that next time, you should take it up to altitude and try to reduce throttle to see how slow you can fly it comfortably without it falling out of the sky. (Obviously once it starts to fall, increase throttle again to keep it up there.) The goal is to get comfortable with the plane's low-speed handling at altitude, so you will be able to bring it in a lot slower for landing and increase your chance of actually landing it on the runway.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:11 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,626 Posts
And, make sure you time your flights. This aircraft does not dead-stick well; the glide slope is short and steep. It is tough, though. I learned to fly with it, and have replaced the nose gear, and the silly wheel pants with lockable collars. I landed it once with one of the main gear pants on the runway, under the tire.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:54 PM
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
I maiden my Sky Trainer today with a crash also. The battery fell out doing a turn and fell about 100 ft. to the ground. Now just a waiting game with Nitroplanes for parts. Good luck with your next flight.
Big Joe is offline Find More Posts by Big Joe
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:15 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Well I've had 4 more successful flights (getting ready to leave on #5 right now) and I'm getting pretty good with the plane. Landings are more natural now and I'm not afraid to bring it down really slow throttle now which helps. I love this plane (except for the landing gear). This will stay in my hangar even when I eventually move up to my goal of a corsair warbird.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:25 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
864 Posts
Try adding flaps, I did and she lands so slow now...

3 position flaps.3GP (0 min 19 sec)
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:39 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
997 Posts
waiting for these to be back in stock
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:57 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
It's true she lands fantastically with flaps, I added mine... The newest version of this great plane comes with flaps and NAV lights as well as clear windows, looks awesome!

Jim
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
997 Posts
AHHH when are they going to be in stock again!!!
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
The nicest version of this plane appears to be IN STOCK!

More expensive than the previous versions but well worth it IMO.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...d-rtf-24g.html

Hey NitroPlanes keep these coming--one of the best planes you sell!!!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:10 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_hawk View Post
The nicest version of this plane appears to be IN STOCK!

More expensive than the previous versions but well worth it IMO.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...d-rtf-24g.html
I think that version came out right after I purchased mine. I love the cockpit and scale lights on it. I almost wish I would have held out. Front landing gear still isn't improved though, I got rid of that trash after the first flight.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedough View Post
I think that version came out right after I purchased mine. I love the cockpit and scale lights on it. I almost wish I would have held out. Front landing gear still isn't improved though, I got rid of that trash after the first flight.
Some of the pics I have seen shows a nose gear on this version with a scale looking shock absorber, but I don't know if it is simply cosmetic and has the same gear as the previous version...

The second version nose gear was improved over the first but people are free to beef it up.. If you land okay the nose gear (version 2) should hold up.. I had to mod mine after a maiden landing error but no problems since because all my landings have been smooth as silk with my added flaps.. Modding is half the fun, I did a ton to mine including a hinged battery door and enlarged battery compartment, she holds a 3000 mah pack now..

This plane is really awesome I would consider getting a new one and glassing it and making some other mods..

Jim
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
So did you order??
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
864 Posts
can any of you guys post a video of take off with the newer style motor
(3536-kv900). mine has the older motor (DT700-KV700) and I'm thinking the newer one would be an upgrade. And what props are you all using?
Thanks
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:33 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
can any of you guys post a video of take off with the newer style motor
(3536-kv900). mine has the older motor (DT700-KV700) and I'm thinking the newer one would be an upgrade. And what props are you all using?
Thanks
How to tell which kv the motor is? My 182 is I think a version 2, the motor is a med dark red and it came with a 30 amp ESC and 12x9 prop. Mine flew much faster than I expected, was hard at first to slow it down to land (flaps help) and I am running a 12x8 prop..

Well either way here's mine taking off and flying, it's much heavier than stock here and carrying a 3000mah flight pack..

Air Field Cessna 182 Sky Trainer (1 min 46 sec)

Jim
Last edited by ny_hawk; Mar 15, 2011 at 08:41 PM.