Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:41 PM
Retired Aero Engineer
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Oct 2010
112 Posts
Discussion
What has happened to the Stylus Radio?

The Stylus radio by Airtronics was a very popular radio among the serious soaring set a decade ago. I have been inactive in the hobby for the last 7 - 8 years, during which time the 2.4Ghz spread spectrum technology has increasingly taken over from the older 72Mhz frequency domain.

While Airtronics offers a 2.4Ghz conversion module for the Stylus, I don't see much comment, pro or con, on it in these threads. Is anyone using it? I recently did a deal with a flier from Seattle for a second Stylus to the one I currently own (circa 1986 model and still working beautifully). The new radio, which came with several 72Mhz Tx modules as well as the 2.4Ghz module conversion plus a compatible Rx, I have yet to use.

Since Airtronics has now introduced the SD-10G, have they basically relegated the Stylus to yesterday's model!? As far as I can tell, none of the new radios improve on the Stylus, with respect to programming flexibility.

What am I missing, guys?
ronhowell is offline Find More Posts by ronhowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:25 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,504 Posts
The Stylus was introduced mid-90's not in the 80's. The 80's standard was the Vision, based on the ATRCS computer module. After the Vision, Airtronics introduced the Infinity line, with its unusual case design and touch screen. Then came the Stylus around 1994-1995.

Yes, it does many good things and is still a good radio. Most fliers want the latest/greatest, so going after 15+ year old equipment doesn't appeal to them when newer, faster more sophisticated gear is available.

JR took a huge share of the soaring radio market with their equipment which was continually designed using modern techniques and components. Airtronics got back into the game pretty late and is starting to grow again after a period of about 10 years with nothing new for soaring.

If the Stylus meets your needs, fly it. I still have one, though it only sees the light of day occasionally. I was one who got tired of hearing "next year", and finally switched to JR.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 06, 2010, 01:43 PM
Retired Aero Engineer
Joined Oct 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
The Stylus was introduced mid-90's not in the 80's. The 80's standard was the Vision, based on the ATRCS computer module. After the Vision, Airtronics introduced the Infinity line, with its unusual case design and touch screen. Then came the Stylus around 1994-1995.

Yes, it does many good things and is still a good radio. Most fliers want the latest/greatest, so going after 15+ year old equipment doesn't appeal to them when newer, faster more sophisticated gear is available.

JR took a huge share of the soaring radio market with their equipment which was continually designed using modern techniques and components. Airtronics got back into the game pretty late and is starting to grow again after a period of about 10 years with nothing new for soaring.

If the Stylus meets your needs, fly it. I still have one, though it only sees the light of day occasionally. I was one who got tired of hearing "next year", and finally switched to JR.

JT
You're right, JT .... it was 1996, not '86 when I purchased my first Stylus. About the only drawback in the radio I can think of is the relative dearth of on-board model memory. Four is just not enough, especially if you have alternate setups to experiment on-the-fly of in-flight configurations. The memory card option doesn't really solve that problem, especially if you have the extended feature set card installed.

OTOH, what additional features do the latest 2.4Ghz radios provide? The spread spectrum frequency hopping feature eliminating frequency conflicts that always be-deviled the 72M system is certainly a major plus, as is the enlarged on-board model memory chips. Other than those items, what else is good.

Recently I was out at El Dorado Park re-trimming some of my older gliders, at the same time as Larry Jolly and a Soaring USA group were flying a Lubos Aspire. I think Larry was using a 2.4G JR 11X radio, which he has commented on in these threads as being a very good full-house sailplane radio. When it comes to sailplanes and soaring, Larry's opinion is worth something!
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:11 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,596 Posts
Ron,

I was in the same boat as you, last radio was a stylus, 10 years ago. Then I had to figure out what to get this time round. I was able to figure out my SD10G in about 1 day. Every time I am asked to help setup friends ships with JR radios, I want to chuck the dam things and tell them to get an SD10. In MY opinion it is just a very very easy radio to use. Also it has everything you could every want for sailplane. You don't have to trick it into doing things or use voodoo mixing to make it do what you want. Also it is fairly cheap.

Perkins won the world F3J title with the SD10 if you want to throw names into the mix.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:33 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,504 Posts
My experience was a little different than AK. I test fly lots of planes in Sacto. Many/most fly JR and I was always needing to have them make the adjustments at my direction. Finally decided to figure the JR protocol out, so bought a used 9303 strictly to learn with the intent to resell immediately. Guess what, after an hour I had the programming mastered and decided to try it on one of my Supras. Best decision I ever made. Now fly a 12X with that same 9303 as back up. Stylus is still around to move planes over when the need arises, but the Stylus will hit the sales threads eventually. May not get much, but why let it just sit?

The 10G is fine, but all the innovations are stuff that JR pioneered and has been doing for years. Only thing new is its in an Airtronics package.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,889 Posts
Any of the good new transmitters that are not overweight and oversized? I don't have basketball hands. I'd like to see a nice sailplane radio that was no larger (and no thicker) than the old Airtronics SR4, or, say, a little smaller than an old Kraft. The Vision was only a little oversized, though I thought it was a little heavy. Or was that just the extra large battery pack?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by lincoln; Dec 07, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: subscribed to thread
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:02 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Any of the good new transmitters that are not overweight and oversized? I don't have basketball hands. I'd like to see a nice sailplane radio that was no larger (and no thicker) than the old Airtronics SR4, or, say, a little smaller than an old Kraft. The Vision was only a little oversized, though I thought it was a little heavy. Or was that just the extra large battery pack?
I've got tiny hands for my frame, I should of been a surgeon.

I've got a 9303 and a 7202, while the 9303 is a bit thicker, It fits my hands nicely and is very comfortable during those long thermal flights.

Try one on for size.

As to the Stylus, it looks like an awesome radio, but with the way technology moved, JR and Futaba came out on top and for sailplane guys, I think JR took the cake.

While the new airtronics radios are nice, I don't think I'll be changing over from JR/Specktrum.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,678 Posts
The Stylus with the 2.4 module works well for me. I currently use the 2.4 Ghz Stylus in my War Eagle RES ship, flying with the Atx 92824 receiver. I've flown the ship to altitudes in excess of 2,000 feet and a slant range of over 1/4 mile with no problems at all. If you use good servos and do a good 2.4 Ghz install (antenna placement mostly) you shouldn't have any problems and you'll get a lot of use out of what is still a very good transmitter. I do have an SD-10 that I fly my Shadow on but I wouldn't have any compunction about switching over to the 2.4 Stylus.

Some of my club mates have had problems with their 2.4 Stylus equipped ships but I don't know what caused their problems. All I know is that I haven't had any problems at all.
georgeg is online now Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:40 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2004
211 Posts
Stylus for sale:

Over in the "For Sale" section one of the Condon boys has one for sale.
Bruce1 is offline Find More Posts by Bruce1
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,525 Posts
JR 12x rules.
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:15 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
JR 12x rules.
If only I could find an MV version for sale for a reasonable price. Makes me wish I had the cash where they were on clearance.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
While I never have owned a Stylus, I have owned a JR 9303.

The Airtronics SD 10G is by far the most programmable radio I have used and I believe the best bang for your buck in a RC radio today.
danfitz is online now Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfitz View Post
The Airtronics SD 10G is by far the most programmable radio I have used and I believe the best bang for your buck in a RC radio today.
+1 from me.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
had one for a couple years, total pain in the but to program, and buying extra cards for sailplane, heli, and memory was to silly at a $100 each. complete screw up by Airtronics.

I switched to JR, now I'm switching to Hitech/multiplex. I have an aurora 9 on order, but really want the royal evo 12

JR is not the radio you want if going to 2.4 since it's lacking freq hopping .but the 9303 blows away the stylus.
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:45 PM
Retired Aero Engineer
Joined Oct 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Herman View Post
+1 from me.
Well yes, if you want to spend $$$ for a new 2.4G radio.

But what are the drawbacks to having the 2.4G conversion module for the Stylus together with, for instance, an 8-ch 92824 Rx for a full-house sailplane setup?