Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you should be able to find a used T-45 on the classifeds. you'll be happy with a 64mm or a 70mm size. the 64mm goes a lot better on 4S. unlimited vertical and great for hand launching.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:44 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
ive considered getting a few edf jets for my first edf, i was more or less settled on a HK T-45... until i found out that shipping costs 70 f%^&* dollars!!!, and i live about 30 mins away from their USA warehouse! i want to know more about the stinger 64, im ordering from HL, but it should be the same thing. Just wondering for future reference, where is your CG on it, can it fly in a medium sized park, how fast is it, and on a scale of 1 to 10 how easy is the hand launch (10 being the hardest to launch)
CG is at 60-70mm from leading edge along fuselage. ends up being right where there are hand holds in the fuselage. I fly with a 3S 1550mAh 25C gensace. All the way forward in the battery bay. Stock everything else. I've tried 2200mAh pack and she's not as balanced and nimble. HK suggests 1600-1800mAh and I would agree. Speed is 70mph+/- your wind speed. It can handle 10-15mph wind. Hand launch i do underhand. Grab the fuselage over the cg, full throttle and a gentle toss underhand at 30 degrees does the trick nicely. 1-10 rating 2, real easy. excellent first edf.
D/R very important. I fly at 15% of total throws, very nervous unless you tone it WAY down! i warned you. Crashed my maiden flight because she turns like an electric drill with full throw on ailerons.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:44 AM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Tauranga
Joined Oct 2011
30 Posts
The HK Stinger 64 was my first EDF and it flys great. As mentionted before you must use low throw rates and lots of expo. I also rolled mine like a drill bit on the first flight, scared the out of me. On the cut down throws it can still roll darn fast.
The model glides forever and it takes a bit of practice to cut the power way out before turning to land so the landing is on the same field.
No need for power on landings.
I use an 1800 battery and the CG is pretty much as per the instructions (yeah you actually get instructions with this HK kit).
I hand launch mine and the trick is not to biff it too hard but more a deceint push works best for me.
I do plan to take the fan out and give it a balance as I've started playing with 90mm edfs and now realise the benefits of balancing fans but the stock fan has been good for me up till now.
brucenz is offline Find More Posts by brucenz
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:18 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucenz View Post
I also rolled mine like a drill bit on the first flight, scared the out of me. On the cut down throws it can still roll darn fast.
Funny, I boiled the nose and she came around. It is a great plane and I think if throws are down or very low rates that it's a good beginner jet. It hand launches very easily. I'm curious how the cold weather will affect the speed and handling.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
United States, TX, Comal
Joined Dec 2011
43 Posts
12) Use fuel tubing over the control linkages/horns

I am a nubie and was wondering what this does?
Billtheboss is offline Find More Posts by Billtheboss
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtheboss View Post
12) Use fuel tubing over the control linkages/horns

I am a nubie and was wondering what this does?
It makes sure that the clevis can't open in flight causing a loss of control.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:35 AM
United States, TX, Comal
Joined Dec 2011
43 Posts
Thanks Hance!
Billtheboss is offline Find More Posts by Billtheboss
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
I grabbed a pic for you. It only takes a second to do and can prevent a disaster. The pics shows how it works better than explaining it really.

elevrudctrlhorns by Hance1976, on Flickr
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Have an a10 from blitzrc works. 64mm outrunners. started smoking on taxi.is it esc or motor. esc partly melted. what should i replace with. are all esc the same. THANKS for any help you can give. rc novis
rc novis is offline Find More Posts by rc novis
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:34 PM
Renton
Joined Jan 2009
64 Posts
This is spot on. I was an slightly experianced rc pilot and decided to get the 64mm tiger edf and it flew great, never crashed it and sold it to a friend. Bought the F18 Blue Angel and wow does that fly perfect. Still flys today after couple years. If you have the ability to fly a plane you are capable of flying edf. Now what you get and how you go about it is the question and for a new less experianced pilot we should build them up not tear them down. Remember that we all start out at the same skill level so...

As for me I prefer the exceed 70MM F18. It is the most stable well mannered edf I have ever flown and I believe it is a great place to start if you can perform the basics. And as for stalling out I practice every flight with high alpha at the slowest speed possible, I have a motor setup that will pull a full vertical climb out of that position so I never have to worry. These edf's are a great place to start.

Thanks for pointing out that people often forget they started were a newbe starts.
sethmattox is offline Find More Posts by sethmattox
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:53 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
A generally fair list from BH93 .... but I have to say that I don't agree with all of it ... a lot depends on whether you fly stock, what model it is ....

Hawks / T45 's tend to be more tolerant and good to go ... I reckon a Pilot who's reasonably happy with a 4ch intermediate machine will be OK with such.

F16's and other high performance - yes I agree are follow ons ..

But I totally agree about flying area - so many vids show limited areas no matter what model - areas that I would have serious reservation about ...
Second is the launch - there's one guy with a T45 who every vid fails when his mate launches it nose up .. straight into a stall .... AND he's trying it in a small sport ground. The rest of the club sit back and watch him - they must know he's not going anywhere !

The spooling up aspect ... this I have grey thoughts about ... I cannot see it worse than a geared prop motor ... in fact if you have a larger prop model - that can have less than instant spool up. I'm not yet into big EDF's but my so far spin up pretty quick ... quick enough that a stall is not a serious worry. The worry comes not from the DF spinning up and giving drive - it's the form of the stall and whether she flat spins or other where surfaces are at disadvantage..... the Pitts is notoriuos for this, so it's not just an EDF matter.

Still I live and learn ... each day is a learning experience and like many - have a long way to go be expert !!
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:09 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
I would also like to add - use fuel tubing over the control horns!! At least the elevators!
Shouldn't that read CLEVIS ?

I'm a great believer in Z bends inside fuselage as a permanent link, with adjustable clevis outside where you can work on it.

Many EDF's now come with grubscrew collets ... which will prevent any fuel tubing mods .. most people advise using loctite on them ... personally I don't, I make sure the screw is a good screw replace with 12.9 machine screw if necessary and make sure it's secured tight.

My main concern with EDF's is the use of thin metal rod control links ... they need tube support .. or replace with bowden. Particularly if like me - you start to chase speed ...
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:12 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Keeps the clasp tight in the control horn...most of these EDF have pretty crummy linkages. Just a bit of added insurance!
CLEVIS .... yes clevis .....
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:15 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
Early generation fighters (1950's) are also a good place to start - MiG15 and F86 spring to mind. Generous amount of wing.

WRONG..

modern fighters are better with lifting bodies.

a f-22 will land better than an f-36 any day.
SABER DANCE anyone...
Agreed ... particularly the Mig 15 style where the tailplane is set high ... even the full size has the problem of blanketing of tail elevators when high angle of attack made at slow speed ... it's also why hand launching a Mig 15 is death if you hurl skyward ... LEVEL please to allow tail to work.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
You are right...there are some pilots that will get a hold of an EDF and just tear it up! Others will take off and crash right away! The point of this thread is not to scare anyone away from EDF's...just take the right approach if you will!
I think to be honest you have done a good job of actually scaring people of.

Intention was good .. but you have been rather hard on some points ...

If it was aimed at the total newbie who sees a video or one on shelf and believes sales hype - OK ... but you've posted it on a forum that means people are more likely to have a bit more appreciation by enrolling on the forum whether they can fly or not.

EDF's are fine - it's the choice of which is the main stay.

I watched a guy with a 70mm F16, with retracts, vector thrust etc. etc. - it flew but was marginal in power on STOCK ... you could see the nose pitched up wallowing as it struggled to stay in the air. He's a guy who flies prop fine. The same F16 with a better power set-up ... ie an extra cell in the LiPo ... and it flew on rails ! In fact it flew so well then that we both reckon a person who is comfortable with a 4ch intermediate machine could fly it.

The problem as I see it is how to get out into the shop area to educate the newcomers to the hobby who are noty in forums like this to get the needed help / info. I was PR for a club in UK before I moved to Former Soviet Union ... we spent a lot of time on how to intro the hobby to people. At shows at schools / fete's etc. - we would spend as much effort in talking to people as flying.

I applaud Bighead93 for making the thread ... but feel a lot of it is preaching to already converted.