HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:48 PM
into the wild blue yonder
great northwest
Joined Dec 2002
39 Posts
Question
GWS MC2002, What power for indoor use?

OK, I am new to the RC Game. I am building a Tiger Moth, I am using GWS 150mah and 270mah Nicd's. I bought the GWS MC 2002 charger, but I didn't realize when I bought it, (didn't see anything saying it was DC only) that I had to have 12v power supply. I would like to charge these at home before going to the field. Don't have a PC PSU. My question is What do most of you use to power this charger? I really don't want a car battery in the house. Can I use a 12v lantern type battery? I have done several searches for this on the site, but can't find the answer I'm looking for. Thanks for the help. Saturn
saturn360 is offline Find More Posts by saturn360
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2003, 02:51 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
I use sealded lead acid batteries in my field box to power my lead acid batteries. I buy mine from www.arcade-electronics.com
My Supernova chargers and now my new Tritons work great being powered by these batteries. The only problem is that you will have to buy another charger to charge the new battery. The chargers are inexpensive and the cheapest are of the wall-wart type. I would get something in the 10 to 12 amp range.
http://www.arcade-electronics.com/po...-batteries.htm
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Jan 17, 2003, 06:39 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
I have used mine with both a converted computer power supply and the the pyramid 10 amp power supply with great results up to 6 amps. Search the forum for Pyramid Power Supplies for purchasing sources they are a great value.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jan 17, 2003, 06:56 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,699 Posts
My guess is that to charge those <300mah batteries, a source of under 1000ma will work. With this in mind, look for a plug in power source that provides 12-16V DC with a 1000-2000ma output. I found one from a scanner that puts out 2A. Others use computer power supplies. Radio shack sells DC power supplies but now we are talking $. See if a computer dealer/repairer might not have a plug in supply laying around that came off a printer/scanner/whatever. You might have to change the plug on it and be sure to connect + to +.
hoppy

Just checked it out.....the 2002 only draws 1.16A while delivering 1000ma with a 12V input. With a 500ma load (output), the charger draws about 0.6A. A 1000mah supply will work. Bigger of course would be better.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 17, 2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 08:53 PM
To be a great Astro Boy
Brodhead,WI,USA
Joined Jan 2001
917 Posts
I use a 13.8 volt (same voltage as car with the alternator running)10 amp power supply at home. Some times I take it with me to indoor flying. I found it surpluss on the web for about $50.00. Just do a search. Mine came with female plugs and I have since added 2 more sets. I can hook up to 4 chargers at a time!

A less expensive alternative would be All Electronics Cat# PS-1242 3.5 amps for $18.00 or Cat# PS1244 6amps for $26.00 @ www.allelelectronics.com. These are small an light and would be easy to take with you to indoor flying. (6.4"x 3.8"x 2.7"). You would have to rewire the out put line to female banana plugs or something simular.

Hobby Lobby sells a Power Supply 13.8 volt and 12.5 amps for $69.90 Cat# PS001 But the power terminals are exposed. I believe Astro Flight has one like mine with female banana jacks in the face of the supply. (Price around $60.00)

At the NEAT fair the "Pros" were all using deep cycle 12 volt trolling motor batteries to charge. I don't do enough of the big stuff to drain my heavy duty van battery, so I just us that when at the flying field.

Tim
edoc is offline Find More Posts by edoc
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:49 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I use a rat shack 12 volt, 3 amp power supply to power my GWS.
I've charged anything from 8 cells 300 mah nimh's to 8 cell 1700 SCR's with it. However, I've never gone over the 3 amp charge rate or the fuse in the power supply will blow.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jan 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
into the wild blue yonder
great northwest
Joined Dec 2002
39 Posts
Power supply

Thanks for all of the ideas for power supplies. Can any one you guys post a picture of your power supply so I can take it to rat shack and show them what I what? I don't know about your RS, but the people working in the ones in my town, don't know anything about anything they carry. I have gone in and asked for things and have been told that they don't make or carry such an item, only to find it myself by looking around. They always say things like " I didn't know we carried those" Sure love this forum. I wouldn't be able to build my moth with all of those great mods, if I had to do it by myself. Thanks again, Saturn
saturn360 is offline Find More Posts by saturn360
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:44 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=22%2D504

I guess this should be it; for the money though the Pyramid imo is a better deal, a couple more bucks (iirc<$60 shipped)) only downside is that it is significantly heavier.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:05 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,699 Posts
Check these out:
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/ProdL...=searchresults

That 1.2A one for $3.49 will work for batteries up to, my guess, 1000 mah.

If you are familiar with electronics, one of those electronic switching supplies will work if output at 12V is high enough.

The radio shack one is a easy, no fooling around, plug it in and go solution.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 18, 2003 at 11:09 AM.