HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Do NOT store in ANY type of sealed container above 2s. Look, all you can really do is try to contain the fire. The EASIEST way to do this is to buy a few cinderblocks and set them on your concrete floor. Then lay a metal/ clay/ bag of sand across the top and your done.

That will contain the fire ball. But keep in mind that the fireball is only half the battle. Its the SMOKE thats the equally bad second half as the smoke is thick, white, and corrosive! keep ANY important metal items away from the area. And for God sakes, install a cheap smoke alarm right above the storage area. Also have a plan to evacuate the smoke if need be as it will penetrate your walls. My idea was to somehow have an exaust fan tied into the smoke alarm going off. This way the smoke alarm trips the exaust fan. Still trying to find someone with an eletrical background to see if thats possible......

PS, from research and experience, it seems that if you have good packs next to the burning one the good packs dont ignite (generally)
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:58 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
whoa... bombs... fireballs...
have you guys actually ever seen a burning LiPo anywhere else than on youtube?

before your imagination goes completely wild, you should know that document safes are quite commonly used in Germany. They are air tight.

Is there any evidence that supports your "bomb" theories? And please, don't bother me with "pop!" or "fffump!". It won't do. It needs to be "ka-boom!", metal fragments flying, actual danger for a nearby person besides getting a heart attack.

BTW, my brother could tell you a story about an exploding cat food can ("exploding" in a sense that the stuff ended up sticking to the ceiling, and don't ask about the smell).
I'm still waiting for a wave of general hysteria to hit the pet forums, safe cat food storage, pressure relief valves etc
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I have seen sealed strong boxes/ ammo boxes explode. The gasses released have to vent somewhere right? LiPos do NOT explode! They flame up 3000+ degrees (they can have a fireball for each cell) and then they vent and smoke like crazy. Containing the fireball is the EASY part. Dealing with the corrosive unhealthy smoke is another matter. Its the smoke Im most worried about.........
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
>> I have seen sealed strong boxes/ ammo boxes explode.

that's not the point. I don't care about the ammo box: There are straightforward ways to make a paper bag explode that it'll knock out a light wall (and, "no", I'm not going to tell how). "LiPo" is the magic word.

Is there any evidence for a stored LiPo causing an explosion?
Not what "could theoretically happen". Evidence.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,699 Posts
About 5 reports of stored lipos igniting have been reported.
See the lipo fire reports- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=4

Look at ones with "no apparent reason" in the title for a few.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Then again sometimes they can be surprisingly resilient.

I witnessed a rather large electric loose a wing at about 110 feet. The fuse did a perfect lawn dart. The battery crumpled like an accordion. I freaked when I saw it and recommended it be put in the 'ash can'. Its still in there a week later not even puffed.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:08 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,699 Posts
The sure thing about lipos is there is no sure thing.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined May 2008
73 Posts
I have to say I am in agreement with gravitykills. I have been flying r/c's for 40 years now and electrics for 10 years. I have never seen or have had anyone that I fly with have a LiPo burn in storage. Over charged, crashes and down right carelessness YES! I have had puffed batteries stored for a couple of years and they are just fine. They don't work worth a crap and I have no idea why I am keeping them. I guess because they still work for a couple minutes of flight time. Their voltage is still ok. Yes, I store them in a metal container and when I charge my batteries I monitor them 100%. I never leave their side and I watch their voltage for any discrepencies. If their voltage is more than .3 volts they are usually on their last legs. If they get warm at all I usually open them up and make them catch fire. In a controlled area of course. I've seen people that have a battery puffed to the max after there done flying and they throw them in the trash can without opening them up and then they catch fire. I've seen more batteries burn from discharge than I have from charging. Just like everyone has said, this is just my opinion and my experience. I'm not an expert. Just saying.
Chocks is offline Find More Posts by Chocks
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
About 5 reports of stored lipos igniting have been reported.
See the lipo fire reports- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=4

Look at ones with "no apparent reason" in the title for a few.
Gravitykills is asking for EXPLODING lipo`s, causing storage/charging containers to blow up and/or get destroyed because of the lipo explosion.

So not burning/igniting lipos, but _exploding_..
Theres a big difference.
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:03 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
exploding? no they dont "explode". they oxidize & heat rapidly which catches the case & packaging on fire, but they dont explode.

3s2200 pack fully charged on 2 cells, one cell dead (0v). sorry the camera isnt on it, but obviously wasn't expecting the pack to go with the maddox.
oh. and before this i was shooting the dead cell with a BB gun. penetrated the cell case several times point blank (barrel 1" away from the cell). the cell did nothing. tiny puff of smoke the first time a BB got into it. otherwise nothing.

Safe Disposal of Old Lipo / Lipo Fire (0 min 25 sec)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:55 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
yes, there are reported cases of stored LiPos igniting without any apparent reason.
A few of those caught fire in document safes. In those cases I'm aware of, they did a fairly good job to contain the mess and thus prevented property damage. I posted one such link not too long ago.
That's why I store my LiPos in a sealed ammo box.
As long as it doesn't go pop / ffump / kaboom!! it will keep the smoke inside, and oxygen outside.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Gravity your statements are ignorant, period. Your ammo box isnt containing ANYTHING pal. obviously you have no experience with explosives or in this case LiPo gel. That sealed ammo box of yours will act like a hand grenade if your Lipo ignites with no venting. You go ahead and keep at it though.....lol. Oh and dont forget to watch out for metal shorting your leads.

The LiPo is SELF SUSTAINING!!!! it needs NO OXYGEN. AMMO boxes were made to keep mositure away from the rounds and to keep the elements out...NOT gasses in! That rubber seal will melt and vent toxix gas and thats if your lucky. More likley you will blow the top clean off as that latch will fail in a split second.

And I do have hard proof of lipos spont. igniting. Wait until you have 40-50 flights on your pack and the wear and tear of bumpy flights starts to degrade the thin metal attach points of your lipo. I know of 3 people off hand that came back after flying only to have the batteries ignite hours after they were done flying! one guy had his on his work bench and it ignited. One guys garage burned down. Yes, if you never touch or fly your lipo will probally stay safe forever but this is not the case with RC hobbies.

The cheap labor that is soldering your internal connections should raise a giant caution flag for everyone using LiPo batteries. Treat them like the potential fire/ gas balls that they can become and your better off. I have personally witnessed LiPos burning at the bottom of a pile of dirt smothered. They stop burning/ smoking when the gel is gone.

A perfect looking lipo can be a disaster waiting to happen on the inside. Read through some of the sticky notes and learn a little before someone reads your posts and becomes just as uneducated. And do yourself a favor and whomever lives with you and drill ( 2 ) 1/4 size holes in the lid of that AMMO box of yours.......
Last edited by hidaven; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:28 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
i guess 1s micro lipos can take the most abuse. i have punctured two of them, and overcharged one of them and nothing has happened. oh and i always discharge them down to LVC...im not kidding. i don't recommend doing this, but i just thought i would jump into the discussion about exploding lipos. i guess 1s can take more abuse than 2s+ huh? little off topic i guess.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
No your right as the weight has a big impact on the internal damage caused. Also there are no external wires to flop around and potentially short inside. But dont be to cocky, I had a friend get 3rd degree burns from a punctured 1s 160. The thing flared like a bottle rocket......
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:41 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
No your right as the weight has a big impact on the internal damage caused. Also there are no external wires to flop around and potentially short inside. But dont be to cocky, I had a friend get 3rd degree burns from a punctured 1s 160. The thing flared like a bottle rocket......
oh yeah i know. i take precautions whenever doing that stuff.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member