Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2006, 06:33 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2002
577 Posts
Discussion
Newb blade question

OK,

got a esky honey bee from ebay with a non bell-hiller mixed head (old HB CP?). It looks EXACTLY like the Blade CP head. I have some rcplane flying experience and have now done Radd's flight school.

some questions:

1) cyclic control seems to have TONS of lag - to the point that it seams almost imposible not to get the heli oscilating back and forth, forward and back. I can keep the tail in pretty well and have been practicing hover in a space about 8' wide x 10' long. I can now get the heli to hover for 8-10 seconds before I get it moving forward or back, or side to side so much that I have to land to avoid hitting stuff. Will this get better if I remove the flybar weights? right now I have them out by the paddles. Any other suggestions for decreasing cyclic control lag short of getting a bell-hiller head?

2) the heli has symetric woody blades I patched up and ballanced. Would I have an easier time learning on flat bottom blades? the heli came with BRAND NEW ms composite flat bottom carbon fiber blades, but I will cry if I wreck these things before I can even fly! If flat bottom is better I will order some woodies.

Thank you in advance,

Marshall
mars is offline Find More Posts by mars
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2006, 06:44 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Control lag can be due to binding rotor head and or blade grip binding/grittiness. The flybar should see saw very freely. I've had a new BCP rotor assembly that was impossible to fly. The rotor head wasn't swinging very well.

Flat bottoms have more lift given the same head speed. So you'd be using less throttling compared to symmetricals. However, symms cut through wind better and helps bring heli down when in idle up mode. Make sure you use the recommended pinion gear for your battery type.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP