Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:42 AM
Joined Jan 2014
108 Posts
Discussion
Shaft 400 slow flight ability?

How slow can the shaft 400 go? I am trying to evaluate this for use as a backyard flier but it may be too hot and perhaps I should stay with my plan to buy a slow stick and see how it goes....but then again acro is fun.

Any thoughts on how this plane will do in close quarters?

Thx
Kooshball is offline Find More Posts by Kooshball
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
If your talking about the balsa Shaft 400, I would say that if built real light, it would slow down ok.
It looks like its about 9ozs empty and around 15ozs or so flying.

The Hacker all EPP SuperZoom, is about the same size, more aerobatic and I built one as a small area parkflyer, at 10.5 ozs, with 14ozs of thrust.
It will hand launch vertical, turn and loop in a just a few feet, fly in 20mph winds, land slow enough to catch and being made out of EPP, can take a lot of abuse.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 17, 2014, 05:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
132 Posts
Mine came in at 17 oz AUW, a little heavy but it slows down great. It's really incredible how slow I can fly it. However unless you have an abnormally large backyard I would not consider it an option.
highnpressurized is offline Find More Posts by highnpressurized
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:03 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,352 Posts
It will fly in a smaller area than a slow stick because it's fully aerobatic. At my last house I felt much more comfortable either the shaft 400 compared to my slo-v (slow stick). how big is the area and how comfortable are you with ailerons? mine came in at 15 oz with a eflite park 450 and 3s800, used solite covering. I'm using the shaft as my fpv plane currently. Mountain models switchboard sport comes in a few oz lighter, and has a little dihedral so it is better for smaller areas. The shaft, being a newer design, is easier to built straight, keep straight, and is far stronger.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:39 AM
Joined Jan 2014
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
It will fly in a smaller area than a slow stick because it's fully aerobatic. At my last house I felt much more comfortable either the shaft 400 compared to my slo-v (slow stick). how big is the area and how comfortable are you with ailerons? mine came in at 15 oz with a eflite park 450 and 3s800, used solite covering. I'm using the shaft as my fpv plane currently. Mountain models switchboard sport comes in a few oz lighter, and has a little dihedral so it is better for smaller areas. The shaft, being a newer design, is easier to built straight, keep straight, and is far stronger.
I am fine with ailerons (used to be big into the hobby back in higher early 90's...some things you never forget!). I have a few areas around the house, a culdesac and treeless front yard and a neighborhood pond that is just over 1/2 acre with good area around to land.

I am just looking for some cheap fun that I don't have to travel more than 30-yards to enjoy.

Thx
Kooshball is offline Find More Posts by Kooshball
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
The Shaft 400 will probably go slower than any ARF you can buy in that size. The wing loading is very, very low, and it's quite acrobatic. This is to be expected from any of the parkflyer models from Stevens Aero or Mountain Models.

The only thing that might come in lighter is a flat-wing Depron profile plane, or possibly a profile plane of similar size made out of EPP.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b