HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:00 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conn321 View Post
Any advice regarding the covering? Would you recommend following the manual? Is there anything you would have done differently? Does a certain order work better than others?
I built a dozen CG Cub kits back in the 90s for glow power, this is how I covered them all.

Always cover the bottom surfaces first, that way you can wrap the top around to the bottom and see no lines from above. So cover the bottom of the Wing first, then the top and wrap the covering around to the bottom. Same thing on the elevator / horizontal stabilizer too.

On the fuselage, again cover the bottom first. Cover the front of the fuselage on the top in front of the windscreen with a piece that is trimmed to the sides if you are making it the same color as the rest of the fuselage. I cover the sides and have extra material to cover the turtle deck to the center. The turtle deck is hard to do without showing lines, cover one side first then do the other side and get some really sharp scissors to cut the line as straight with that center rod that runs down the middle to the vertical stabilizer.

For tools, have the sharpest scissors with clean blades to cut off the extra and make the edges neat. Get everything on good with an iron first, always work the air bubbles out as you go when covering solid flat surfaces. Us the hot air gun to get rid of wrinkles and tighten everything up. Make sure you have dry installed all your hinges and control horns before covering them, it is easier to cut the spots open after you have covered the parts then trying to cut slots and holes after it is covered.

Your fuselage looks good, but I would do a lot more sanding and use the light weight Spackle for walls and ceiling to fill in holes and smooth out all the glue areas. If it is rough to your touch it will show through the covering big time. Surface prep is critical in having a good finish, sand it all smooth with finner and finner sand paper till it is butter smooth.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Jan 28, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj35s View Post
I Have this kit. I want to go as much scale as possible. has anyone done a J-3 pull pull?

The real ones have a cable that connect the top aileron control horn to each other,

The lower control horn is connected by a cable that runs down the wing strut, into the cabin, to the bottom of the stick. The control stick pulls the ailerons down.

In static on the ground the ailerons droop an inch or two. In flight the lift from the airspeed pulls then to trim.

That little bit of slack allows you to attach or detach the aileron cables for wing removal.

I'm picturing a servo under the pilot with a forked control horn for each aileron and a control stick in the center of the fork. This would give the pilot a simulated stick movement like the real deal.

Thoughts on this?
This is a nice model as designed. You will be better served if hold of on extensive modifications, until you get a Cub with more accurate scale outlines.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:56 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,320 Posts
Tom is the man on scale builds... Good advice..
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:46 PM
United States, AL, Alabaster
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conn321 View Post
OK. Time to brag. I'm finally getting a picture of my build posted. I have the wing and tail section completed as well. I'll post when I get a chance. This is my first build so I'm glad to have gotten this far. Thanks for all the great posts out there.
Looks great Conn! There is nothing more memorable than that first build. When it's in the air the first time it will make you smile. Knowing how it's built gives confidence added w the reward.
Thunderboat42 is offline Find More Posts by Thunderboat42
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
Has anyone tried the eflight25 e cowl?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:55 AM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
119 Posts
Tom is right about the scale outline. The Goldberg Cub flies really well, but the outline is not real scale. First thing you notice is the strip ailerons instead of the barn door like on the full scale plane.
I stuck with the strip ailerons because I planned to fly the Cub with floats. The strip ailerons put the aileron servo(s) inside the fuselage and away from water spray.

Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:44 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderboat42 View Post
Has anyone tried the eflight25 e cowl?
I mentioned before, the Greatplanes 40 size is the same cowl with both
sides of the engine.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ906&P=Z

Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:01 AM
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
That looks good! I was thinking doint the supercub version is why I was asking. Undecided between SC and typical J3 . I like both. Either was it's getting flaps. LOL.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:16 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
I was extremely disappointed in the GP40 cowl. Fiberglass Specialties supplied a very nice one (which I modified for battery access).
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:39 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,189 Posts
The Fiberglass Specialties Super Cub cowl for the 1/6 Sig Cub can be made to fit the Goldberg version.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:00 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
I was extremely disappointed in the GP40 cowl. Fiberglass Specialties supplied a very nice one (which I modified for battery access).
That is a very clean battery hatch approach.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:31 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Thanks. Foremost I wanted easy/convenient battery access (pair of 4s2400's).
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 07, 2014, 07:22 PM
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
The 25E GEAR ARRIVED !!!!! :-). Thanks for tip on that!!! Very nice. Actually I like it better than the Robart at 3 x the price.

Now for color decisions and cowl. If I go bush plane route. The eflight carbon z cub wings have turbulator strips that are added just ahead of the spar. Doesn't look like the are sold separately. Maybe a call to HH is in order.

There's just something about the traditional yellow cub though we all love