HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Discussion
The lack of Sailplane specifications...AUW, airfoil, airframe construction details..i

Hello Guys,

Is it just me? In looking around for a new Thermal Duration sailplane, I find there is often a lack of specifications at the dealers sites on many of the models they sell.

Why is that? Like Skip Miller and the MXC...not much at all.
Soaring USA and their Stork 4 Pro and Dragonfly Strong.

Are the airframe construction details just not important to most buyers?
The empty airframe weight and AUW is important to me ...just for comparision.
I get that...a few ounces will not have a huge effect on my flying a sailplane with over 134 inches of wing.

Just can't figure out why I can't be told the details on so many sailplanes for sale. I thought information adds to sales.

It would be great to have a site where all the old and new sailplanes were listed ....with all their details and three views. A nice place to see the differences in the sailplanes side by side.

Have fun ....go fly!
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,864 Posts
If you do get the weight, compare it to the square of the wingspan.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:51 PM
United Kingdom, Evesham
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Hi Texas,
try hyperflight.co.uk. They stock most of the top thermal planes and publish everything down to the wing build specs. Outside their range you will have to rely on the manufacturers, although a lot of them seem to prefer to keep secrets.
Pete.
pensioner Pete is offline Find More Posts by pensioner Pete
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Thanks Pete !

I liked the link.
If we were out to steal the manufacturers construction secrets, we would order two of everthing they made, fly one to see if it was better, and cut the other up to see the layup details.

I'm asking for too much information I know. (;-)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:07 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
You don't generally get any specs with a plan!

I'm with you though, I suspect in many cases the exact specs are not known, there are lots of variables even with a kit build.

I build a lot of Chris Foss models and they never come close to his published weights despite scraping every last drop of spare glue off!

I've been flying F3J this year with high end gliders, lots of specs usually given (apart from the recommended C of G position!) but some with higher specs don't handle in flight as well as those with lower specs, the numbers don't always mean anything (but they can work to sell things).

Don't know if you use the 'SailplaneCalc' Excel programme, once you have a model that you can measure (or a good 3-view and some weights from the manufacturer) you can work out your own specs.

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Oct 31, 2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:40 PM
Marc PUJOL
Joined Feb 2010
115 Posts
You are right. It is pitty that most of manufacturer don't communicate on the wing.
And it is a real pitty.
As consequence, fashion had lot's of importance...

You want more? Look at RCSD november 2012. The Genoma2 Will provide you with more data than you can expect.

Hope this Will force industry to provide additionnel data

Marc
marc.pujol is offline Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:30 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I have to agree with you Texas. A lack of information has kept me from buying planes in the past. Since I usually fly solo, I don't have the benefit of seeing some of these planes that others have bought.

When it comes to kits, I've found that the specs as listed on the box are usually off to the high side. I don't know if it's my building style but I can usually get them to come in at least an ounce or two lower. Of course I avoid CA glues and keep what wood glues I use to a minimum which helps a lot in keeping the weight down.

Kit and ARF makers really should list more specs for their kits to help R/C pilots make more informed choices when they are looking to purchase a plane. Of course this could work both ways if their planes are lead sleds and need something akin to a small tornado to remain aloft.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:43 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
I wish we had a Great Big ----Sailplane Index Book ---on-line!
Something to look at all the sailplane models...old and new...even the slickest, newest , most expensive carbon fiber thermal magnet models...in all their dimensions, weights, chords, airfoils, wingspans, tailspans, lenghts and heights !!

Sometimes you just want to know the details on the $ 1900 sailplane before you buy the thing. Yet...I have to go hunt all across the web to get the details. Hey! Maybe it's best that way...with all the small variables you get when adding the electronics to get it in the air. Just seems like it shouldn't be so hard to get the many...Main details...you'd like to know.!!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,332 Posts
Often the manufacturing firm in Europe produces a PDF of the build log for fitting out the plane. It normally includes the expected servo selection and gear layout in the fuselage, which makes things easier for the build.
Here is an example of a good one:
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Nov 24, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Nice Link !

Thanks "target"...