to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:09 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I have one of them and can't tell much of a difference between it and my handful of turnigy 460mAh 3S batteries anymore. It started off with a bit more punch but like most E-Flite batteries lost its extra oomph somewhere around 20 charges.
Thank you . I was kidding around actually on my other post even though I was curious until someone had a 2 year old internet tantrum lol

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:00 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Not every post is about your lemon gyro. Take that hint.

J
Awwwww.

Someone's a widdle cranky today.

S'okay, going flying usually fixes that!

PS: one hundred and eighty-seven posts on this thread alone. Seven of them mentioned the Lemon; even though, as I have stated emphatically, it alone (and likely any stabilization system) turned this plane from a 'flopper' to a 'keeper,' in my book. Flew it again today, and put five batteries through it. Awesome.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Jul 17, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:44 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Since my current beater (airframe #2) is working so well stabilized, I got to thinking....

In the backroom are most of the parts to airframes #1 and #3.... and in my parts bin are a couple of removed AR635 recievers (stabilized HH unit taken from Visionaire or similar)....

Once I started digging through my spares, it seemed I only needed to make up some adapters and fix a couple of servos. The original Eflite EFLR7100 (3.5g) servos were easy to strip, so I have used the little Spektrum A2020 of the same size with good success. Both are digital.

I started stripping the five or so broken servos down, hoping to find the broken/stripped gears would be different so that I could borrow from Peter to pay Paul. Sure enough, I was able to get enough working servos to bring up both old airframes.

I needed a new prop, spinner, and one or two other little items, but by the end of the evening, I now have three Edge 540s, all stabilized, the most recent two using the AR635.

I bench tested them and I think everything is ready to go (using the Visionaire throw and gain setttings to begin with).

The difference between the AR6310 microlight is huge in percentage terms, but negligible in absolute terms: the stripped AR635 without plastic case weighs 7grams, the microlite is ~2 grams.

Tomorrow I'll flight test them and see how they do.
Last edited by tracknoob; Jul 18, 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:42 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Since my current beater (airframe #2) is working so well stabilized, I got to thinking....

In the backroom are most of the parts to airframes #1 and #3.... and in my parts bin are a couple of removed AR635 recievers (stabilized HH unit taken from Visionaire or similar)....

Once I started digging through my spares, it seemed I only needed to make up some adapters and fix a couple of servos. The original Eflite EFLR7100 (3.5g) servos were easy to strip, so I have used the little Spektrum A2020 of the same size with good success. Both are digital.

I started stripping the five or so broken servos down, hoping to find the broken/stripped gears would be different so that I could borrow from Peter to pay Paul. Sure enough, I was able to get enough working servos to bring up both old airframes.

I needed a new prop, spinner, and one or two other little items, but by the end of the evening, I now have three Edge 540s, all stabilized, the most recent two using the AR635.

I bench tested them and I think everything is ready to go (using the Visionaire throw and gain setttings to begin with).

The difference between the AR6310 microlight is huge in percentage terms, but negligible in absolute terms: the stripped AR635 without plastic case weighs 7grams, the microlite is ~2 grams.

Tomorrow I'll flight test them and see how they do.
I'm still on my first airframe, stock servos, 2nd prop, after flying for over a year. I must not be flying low enough
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:48 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
981 Posts
And if anybody here replaces any perfectly good stock servos with other servos, I'd be glad to take the stock ones off your hands. I have a spare stock RX from a buddy who smashed his, and no servos with the right connectors for it....
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:48 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
I'm still on my first airframe, stock servos, 2nd prop, after flying for over a year. I must not be flying low enough
I prang my beater at least once a week... All three of those have had the tail completely broken off at least once, and #2 has literally been broken in half under the cockpit at least twice. All of them have 'punchouts' in the side of the fuse where the wheel pants have actually bent up into the foam on hard landings/crashes.

Not proud of it. But at least my wrecks are getting more interesting!

Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:43 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I prang my beater at least once a week... All three of those have had the tail completely broken off at least once, and #2 has literally been broken in half under the cockpit at least twice. All of them have 'punchouts' in the side of the fuse where the wheel pants have actually bent up into the foam on hard landings/crashes.

Not proud of it. But at least my wrecks are getting more interesting!

Mine has holes in the undersides of the wings from when the landing gear folded up on a "landing" of sorts, tore the gear which rotated up and punched said holes. They're just packing taped over
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:28 AM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
981 Posts
Mine lost the tailwheel a long time ago, (rough asphalt runway) so it now has a CF tailskid that I replace every time it grinds down low enough to drag the rudder...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 03:54 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
heh heh sounds like a bunch of guys dedicated to keeping in the air flying these things....

Today, I took the AR635 equipped pair to the field, with what I thought was the original Visionaire programming in them. Oddly enough both of them worked okay in the 'sport' mode, but once I switched to 3D, the aileron and rudder gyro directions seemed fine, but the elevator tried to crash the planes! It is backwards, on that mode ONLY!

Fortunately, I was able to switch back to 'sport' mode and land okay, but as the gains are preset, they seem a little high on ailerons and low on rudder and elevator. Of course, those gains can all be programmed with the odd control stick jockeying/multicolored flashing lights process, so I can read up on that to refresh my memory, then change that, but that change in gyro control direction is downright bizarre. Yes, I do recall the manual stating that you have to set gyro directions for BOTH (or more correctly, ALL) flight modes, but in retrospect, that is just insane. Who would ever want to take off with the gyro controlling in a given direction, and then via flight mode switch, want it to go BACKWARDS? No one, of course, is the correct answer.

Also a friend was maidening a new Sukoi SU29MM BNF, and I tried to help him set it up for his DX9. Frankly, it was a mess. It is not clear how to get AUX1 to respond (needed for SAFE mode) or how to make the Flight Modes go to the GEAR channel as required to do the other modes, as described in the manual (make a mix? Then why not explicitly state that you have to do a mix?) and of course, no absolute OFF/ON capability, nor gain adjust on a knob....
We tried it out, and in 3D mode it was nearly uncontrollable, and in sport mode he said it felt 'mushy' and difficult to properly control smoothly. He is a Futaba 18MZ user, and so he yanked the SPMAR636SU out of the airframe, installed a spare six channel Futaba plain jane reciever, and off he went. He was happy as a clam -- the size of the new Sukoi, and it's general charateristics meant it definitely did not need any stabilization augmentation at all, in today's 0-8mph variable breezes.

I bought the now one-time-used AR636 from him to fool around with at home, and on looking into it, here we go again!

Just like with the Visionaire, this is once again NOT a 'general purpose' stabilizer/reciever, as touted! Instead, the "AR636" general label seems to be getting applied to a whole group of recievers, some with HH/rate mode, and not SAFE, and others with SAFE, but not HH, depending on application you find it in. And I am also apparently out of luck for programming this one -- I have no Iphone, and the PC interface device has been backordered since the introduction of the reciever. In addition, the one you buy from HH looks like it has a satellite-type side connection (required for programming? I just don't know) but the Sukoi 'take off' one I bought does not have that satellite-side port on it.

Bottom line: I have been SORELY disappointed with pretty much every aspect of Spektrum's AR635, and my very brief intro to the AR636 gives me no cause to believe it will be any (or much) better.

It's a #$@%$#^& shame, IMHO, that a company with as terrific an earned reputation as HH/Spektrum, and with as well-working basic technology in the AS3X franchise, is FLAT SCREWING IT UP with their apparent decisions to differentiate and 'hide' features/programming for these things. If I recall, they did a similar boneheaded thing with the micosized market, by introducing a programmer, then yanking it within hours or days, so people wanting to tweak, customize, or just better understand their products that they BOUGHT are stymied from getting the most out of them.

Shame on you, Horizon.

EDIT TO ADD: Okay, in the Sukoi manual, the required info is all in there, but it is interpsersed in charts, headers, footers, confusing columns, etc and it turns out that i's like a lot of what Spektrum writes -- once you have pounded your head and figured it out on your own, THEN what they wrote makes sense, but not until you have the context. Whoever does their charts, technical instructions, etc, needs remedial training on usability, graphic standards, human factors, etc. Seriously. Not just being cranky.
Last edited by tracknoob; Jul 19, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 04:06 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
981 Posts
I am glad to still fly bone stock...

for me, doing crazy sh*t in the wind is even more fun than the calm because of the added challenge. and its also fun to point it into the wind with full up elevator and watch it fall straight down.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 04:09 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
I am glad to still fly bone stock...

for me, doing crazy sh*t in the wind is even more fun than the calm because of the added challenge. and its also fun to point it into the wind with full up elevator and watch it fall straight down.

I heard that! No doubt that flying with it 'as-is' is a great way to sharpen your piloting skills, as you have to account for every change of wind.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:46 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
936 Posts
I finally got one of the little guys after forgetting about this size.

I have a lunch time plane again! The 540qq flies great....my problem is now I have to get the Inverza.

this after owning and flying the crap out of my 3DHS planes lol....I miss just taking planes out and flying....no more plugging servo wires and screwing in the wings....screw that for now
Helldiver is online now Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:43 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,528 Posts
EDGE CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (6 min 51 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:48 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012