HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:11 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
It can be a technique issue where you might be bringing the transmitter closer to yourself or even a jacket sleeve and bumping the elevator stick.
I lawn darted a Stobel last fall, and that was the conclusion i came to. My sweat shirt must have pulled up elevator during the throw.
The model looped on launch and went behind me. When I got my hand on the stick I pushed instead of pulled and it went straight in.
Snapped the nose off and bent the wings forward. (One advantage of not throwing hard, less damage if it crashes)
Fixed it, put the same electronics back in it and it has never given me any problem.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:11 AM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,487 Posts
Since all ideas can be considered, is it possible that a higher current draw by the elevator servo during the launch is droping the voltage to the Spektrum RX causing it to brownout ?
Dale Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Dale Thompson
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olythom View Post
Lots of good thoughts to probe. As followup to some of the questions/comments...
No jacket involved. Pretty darn sure that the elevator stick was not bumped.
Pull /spring on both rud and elev - servo pulls for up.
Clutching at straws here:

How stiff are your TX sticks? If the springs are loose, and you're jerking the TX during launch, then there is the - remote - potential for a stick flopping the wrong way.

Are the elevator servos secure - really secure? I grounded a plane where the elevator servo was covered with masking tape and glued to the inside bottom of the fuse. It slowly worked itself loose over time, waiting for the right moment ..

If you have a failsafe mode set for neutral control surface configuration, then a brown/blackout should not cause the plane to pitch downward.

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
288 Posts
The plane is repaired and I will be doing some testing this week. I will have someone watch technique closely to see if there's any chance of bumping sticks. Sticks are pretty firm. I'm still clutching at straws as well but it will be solved....
Thanks to all for suggestions... T
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,637 Posts
Another thing to look at is how the receiver is mounted. The forces of the launch can move things if they are not held in place.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:43 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
698 Posts
I have had a similar thing happen in the past. I initially though it was a mechanical problem with the TX (a futaba 8FG) and even though they could not replicate the problem in the workshop, the distributer replaced the TX. Later though, I realised that the problem was more likely a slight a programming issue. I think as I was launching, the brake stick would move slightly (either just from the force of the launching or my finger moving it very slightly) and the flaps would deploy a bit, and crucially, the down elevator compensation. This, I believe, caused my crashes.

I now, sensibly, have changed the programming so that the the brake stick does nothing for the first few 'clicks' and the elevator compensation is less severe. I have not had it happen since.

BTW, I was told that the engineers had quite a laugh trying to replicate the conditions of a DLG launch in the workshop!
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:17 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG View Post

BTW, I was told that the engineers had quite a laugh trying to replicate the conditions of a DLG launch in the workshop!
Oh, to be a mouse in the corner watching that show

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:45 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Gent
Joined Jun 2009
23 Posts
I lawn darted a new Helios a couple of months ago. Now i programmed my transmitter that when launch preset is activated everything else is overwritten. So if flaps are deployed you hear something is wrong( flaps going to launch setting) and you can aboard launch. Or when you do launch, the wrong setting deploy's when the plane has some altitude and you can recover from the mistake.
00steven is offline Find More Posts by 00steven
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:25 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00steven View Post
INow i programmed my transmitter that when launch preset is activated everything else is overwritten..
I've done the same thing. The Hitec A9 make it real easy to do.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
I had this happen to me last week, pretty sure my elevator stick caught a piece of clothing when I was bringing my left arm back in after launch...
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
288 Posts
My mode switch setup is pretty safe (can't deploy flaps if in speed/launch modes). Still considering my follow-through and stick-bumping as main culprit but have not yet proven it.
Thanks
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Last edited by olythom; Oct 11, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:37 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,767 Posts
When I lawn dart my planes, the first thing I check is whether I left the plug in (again).

If it doesn't rain sunday, I'll be at the field in the afternoon.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:59 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,202 Posts
I usually wear a 1 piece bodysuit when I practice... something like a speed skater.

I don't have any clothing to hit any sticks during launch.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,637 Posts
I lawn darted my Hybrid 7 weeks ago. I lost the elevator on launch and it got to about 120' and came down at about 70 degrees. The sod was semi soft and the nose buried about 2". It broke the boom 3" behind the wing with a nice clean brake and the fuse crumpled just in front to the wing. The wing and tail feathers are intact. The elevator rod had a peice of balsa to support it going to the servo and I think it failed and I did not have a z bend on the wire. All fixed and it gained 7 grams, two of which were added nose weight.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:57 AM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olythom View Post
The plane is repaired and I will be doing some testing this week. I will have someone watch technique closely to see if there's any chance of bumping sticks. Sticks are pretty firm. I'm still clutching at straws as well but it will be solved....
Thanks to all for suggestions... T
Any conclusion to all these thoughts??
Dale Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Dale Thompson