HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,632 Posts
Question
Aileron Travel

I have a question about the travel degree/angle is a good rule of thumb for Ailerons? Do you think the distant showed in the picture is enough?

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,733 Posts
Looks like enough for any scale model flying/moderate roll rates. At cruising speeds or higher, you don't need much deflection. When landing at slow speeds, ailerons become less effective but rudder remains effective for levelling the wings. It is good to angle the servo arms foreward so that you get more up than down aileron motion which minimizes "adverse yaw" i.e. where down-going aileron makes drag and resists turning in the desired direction. Differential aileron programming , more up than down aileron travel, also minimizes adverse yaw.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,632 Posts
Thank you, Very much appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
If you've got a transmitter with a dual rate setting, set it up so that on high rates you have more travel than you expect to need and on low you've got less than you think you'll want. Then fly it. Chances are you'll find one setting more comfortable than the other, and you can work out more exact values from there.

It's really difficult to make good recommendations for surface travel since every plane and pilot is different. Do what works for you.

I recently maidened a plane that looked like it had decent elevator travel on high rates (80%) and far too little on low rates (50%), but when I flew it I found that even on low it was a tad sensitive for my tastes at higher speeds (~120mph). I ended up knocking the low-rate value down to like 40% (but then gave it a bad hand launch and destroyed it on the next takeoff ).
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:59 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,556 Posts
That's why I don't use dual rates. Decent throw with decent expo works better for me.Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,632 Posts
Thanks for the comments, just a little clarity, the pictures shows the maximum physical travel of the aileron without a servo connected.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,556 Posts
Looks like a good place to start. Just make sure the servo doesn't stall at the end.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,632 Posts
Thank you.