Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I noticed how you added a couple of short launch attempts at the end of you video. I think the bungee it the way to go.

I also noticed the title on the video being an WWII Lancaster base. Then I saw how the roads where lined up with the grass and you could tell where the landing strip was. Really cool to be able to fly in a place like that.
Yeah, I just hate throwing the ZII, it's too big, heavy & expensive for my liking - I know the pro's just lob them into the air but hey, maybe in a few months when she's not so new & I've got some air time under my belt!

Yeah the flying site is pretty cool, we had one of the last flying Lancasters buzz us earlier in the year, sure was a treat, a WWII bomber on a low pass of an old station, wow.
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:53 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
I thought I had launching down, it's so easy to ruin the plane on a bad launch.. I've bought two zephyrs now and I am seriously debating on not getting another.. i ruined one original zephyr because of a bad build... i've spent over 600$ on FOAM and LAMINATE in the last year.

here's the last successful flight with two failed launches leading to the death of it.. the last one was actually so bad it snapped the wood on my TBS battery bay... the last flight was great, this time it decided to flip upside down a few seconds after launching... I check the elevons like 8 times before launching too.. I think the wind just caught my extendo winglet.

The death of a model airplane (4 min 15 sec)
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:16 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
I will have to show you guys how to make the super simple bungee launcher.

Planes do fly and they do crash , its usually just a matter of when , just about any other arf type epo model will be destroyed in that type of crash.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:40 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
I may be misunderstood.. when saying i'm thinking about not buying another zephyr... I should have said, I'm thinking about not buying another plane at all..... Although I may wreck less with an easier to launch plane..

I think really, I either need a bungee launcher or if I do a new zeph to just go to a huge open grass field and just practice regular RC and launching/landing over and over before I take it up to a steep hill... climbing down to get it sucked....

The plane is strong as hell, that last flight must have been nose first 50isch mph,, most failed launches are no problem as long as you kill the prop.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
I will have to show you guys how to make the super simple bungee launcher.

Planes do fly and they do crash , its usually just a matter of when , just about any other arf type epo model will be destroyed in that type of crash.
Hi Chris,

I love the foam on the ZII, after the few fails I had I ran the Lamming Iron over the wrinkled bits & as if by magic they expanded right out & disappeared! Can hardly tell there was anything there! If I'd crashed a HobbyKing plane like that all I'd have is a bin bag of bits!

Yeah I think a bungee would be good until I more confident with my Zeph.
Last edited by flyn; Jul 09, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_patso View Post
I thought I had launching down, it's so easy to ruin the plane on a bad launch.. I've bought two zephyrs now and I am seriously debating on not getting another.. i ruined one original zephyr because of a bad build... i've spent over 600$ on FOAM and LAMINATE in the last year.

here's the last successful flight with two failed launches leading to the death of it.. the last one was actually so bad it snapped the wood on my TBS battery bay... the last flight was great, this time it decided to flip upside down a few seconds after launching... I check the elevons like 8 times before launching too.. I think the wind just caught my extendo winglet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLd27TguJQ
Nice video and flight before it died. I hate to see someone lose one of these planes.

It looked like you could have damaged something on the last landing the way it spun around. Checking the elevons might not have caught the real issue that lead to the final crash.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Nice video and flight before it died. I hate to see someone lose one of these planes.

It looked like you could have damaged something on the last landing the way it spun around. Checking the elevons might not have caught the real issue that lead to the final crash.
Guys, I got a good one for you. I was just going over the Zeph after the weekends flights & I noticed that the right hand upper fibreglass spar has freed itself from it's CA bond between the wing & the rod toward the outboard end. The spar is still intact & in place, just free to flex & move in its groove toward the wingtip.

My question is, do I perform surgery to re-glue it by cutting the lam, gluing, then adding a strip of lam over the top to re-seal it or do I just leave it?

This situation was due to a bad launch - so user error.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by flyn; Jul 09, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Guys, I got a good one for you. I was just going over the Zeph after the weekends flights & I noticed that the right hand upper fibreglass spar has freed itself from it's CA bond between the wing & the rod toward the outboard end. The spar is still intact & in place, just free to flex & move in its groove toward the wingtip.

My question is, do I perform surgery to re-glue it by cutting the lam, gluing, then adding a strip of lam over the top to re-seal it or do I just leave it?

This situation was due to a bad launch - so user error.

Thanks for any advice.
My advice would be to do the surgery, re-glue the rod and re-lam over it if you have extra. If that rod is not secure then the wing will flex to a point that the lam won't help.

Fix the skeleton and then the skin.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
My advice would be to do the surgery, re-glue the rod and re-lam over it if you have extra. If that rod is not secure then the wing will flex to a point that the lam won't help.

Fix the skeleton and then the skin.
Fair point, what type do you think open-heart or keyhole?

I can either cut it wide open or make some holes & inject CA into the groove.

Edit:
All sorted, I slit the lam along each edge of the spar channel leaving the rest of the lam in place. With a 2mm wide sliver of lam removed along the spar I worked the CA into the channel, it seeped under & then covered the spar again, all I gotta do now is to add some lam to cover the scar. I'll probably put some glue in the leading edge of the repair.
Last edited by flyn; Jul 09, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:47 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
I did a preflight and launch vid for you guys here, I also add the go pro burly vid.

Ritewing ZII Launch (6 min 39 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRitewing1?feature=mhee

The burly (7 min 46 sec)
Last edited by klique; Jul 09, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
673 Posts
Amazing work!
Hmerly is online now Find More Posts by Hmerly
Last edited by Hmerly; Jul 09, 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
The Burly

Chris

Really top notch job on the Burly ZII. Looks like a stealth tank.

I also like the Ritewing decals on the elevons. Let me know how to order a half dozen of them so I can spread the word on who makes these fantastic wings. Thanks

Vince
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Will do , I am talking to the sticker guy tomorrow
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:46 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
that plane needs some wipers under the wing to eliminate drag as well as some servo covers

cool looking plane but looks like a tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Go pro says it fastashello !!!!!!!! , I think the textured skin makes it slicker than snot , and so does the Le turbulator thats 1 inch back from the LE.
Servo cowlings are over rated and so are burried rods , especialy on somthing like this.We have done wipers and have seen no improvements.
This is not a sloper!!!
This thing is a beast and has a crazy power to weight ratio.
Fast and heavy makes these thing rail.
Last edited by klique; Jul 10, 2012 at 01:26 AM.