HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:01 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
We've been thinking about doing that. I'll have to pass that photo along to our club's skunk works designer .
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:04 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh View Post
I was able to get over 4 minutes on one of my drops last weekend. This really is a good way to get some flight time when the slope is not available.
How do you fly both planes at the same time?

Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:58 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,916 Posts
Apprentice Launch Service

My Apprentice was being flown by Tom Blakeney with his 80's built launch rack. It was the busiest airplane at the SMALL 2010 event launching Tom's Alula, my Klingberg Rocket Wing, and towing my Raven 2M. Pictures of it at work at SMALL 2010 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l+2010&page=15

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:14 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,143 Posts
What is a Raven 2m? Is this your design?
John Gallagher is online now Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:03 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
My Alula shipped today. Can't wait.
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:31 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,916 Posts
Raven 2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher View Post
What is a Raven 2m? Is this your design?
John,

The Raven 2M is a two meter flying wing sailplane designed by Dave Jones (from California and not the English Dave Jones) in the '80s. There are many pictures of it in the SMALL 2010 thread here starting in post #214: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l+2010&page=15

There is also a series of articles about building and modifying it in RC Soaring Digest here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=21

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
454 Posts
Need Your Technical Expertise

Alula Enthusiasts,

My Alula weighs 6.3 oz without any lead weights and balances very close to the manual specification. While I did not add any lead, I cut the nose and inserted 2.5 inches of foam and installed the battery as far forward as practicable with about 1/4 inch of adjustment.

No super high launches - but acceptable for someone of small stature, of very ripe age (77 almost) and totally inexperienced in HLG/DLG. Here are my observations:

For a glider of low wing loading, Alula flies fast.

At the peak of launch height, I am trying to learn to level quick, otherwise Alula noses down with significant loss in height.

I am learning to pay much attention to the nose attitude - when Alula stalls, almost always it is straight down like a dart.

Alula is addicting - I think my right elbow had overextended after two hours of hurling. Very likely, I will build another Alula, per instructions this time. Perhaps, adding weight is not a bad thing!

Del
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:54 PM
Kennewick,WA
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
Alula piggyback

Earlier this year my brother came up with this cradle from scrap parts we had at the field. It worked great. A rubberband wrapped over the top of the fuselage and hooked on the servo arm which he set to a switch on his xmitter. He then used his slow stik to hoist my Alula up to height. It had the added thrill of hearing the rubberband snap when released. It was a very fun day of flying!

Del--
For reference, my Alula (old version) weighs 4.3oz.
rcelectron is offline Find More Posts by rcelectron
Old Oct 08, 2010, 06:19 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,118 Posts
good stuff...
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N View Post
John,

The Raven 2M is a two meter flying wing sailplane designed by Dave Jones (from California and not the English Dave Jones) in the '80s. There are many pictures of it in the SMALL 2010 thread here starting in post #214: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l+2010&page=15

There is also a series of articles about building and modifying it in RC Soaring Digest here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=21

Richard
Thanks for the info Richard.
John Gallagher is online now Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
new Alula!

WooHoo... Did the maiden flight on my Alula today!

AUW 157grams - 5.55oz
How does that compare to what other people are getting?

Pico servos, 6100 spekrum RX, 4cell 300mah nimh (way forward)

It only required about 4grams of lead in the nose to balance on the dimples. I added some light carbon to either side of the nose, and sanded the hinges to make them deflect easier. I set up a 1% throttle to elevator mix like I did on my old seeker, and in my opinion it's easier and more fun to fly like that. I fiddled a little with aileron differential, but ended up not using it. I may move my CG back just a bit and see if I like it better, but I'm exceedingly happy with how it flies. My shoulder is going to hate me tomorrow, but I had a blast. I'm catching about 90% of the time... that's my favorite part. I'm horrible at finding thermals, but I'll keep at it. I'm really looking forward to some light sloping!

Question... for those of us that are used to launching thumb down, and fingers on top is there a good reason to relearn the other throwing grip? (thumb on top)

Thanks,
Michael
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Oh look you painted it blue and white...
Looks great! I flew mine into a stone wall yesterday... all is well though.
Weight wise, you are where Steve and I ended up. Added the .50 to the plane actually did not hurt anything so I have left it taped to the top of the plane on the cg.
I have been trying your over under toss and I get a better launch.

Where did you get your batts? I need another pack.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Kirby,
Actually it's pearl metallic blue and white

Got my batteries from Roy's in Hurst. They were a 5 cell 300, and I just removed a cell. They are some old park flyer batteries behind the props in the black case.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:40 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelConnally View Post
I set up a 1% throttle to elevator mix like I did on my old seeker, and in my opinion it's easier and more fun to fly like that.

Question... for those of us that are used to launching thumb down, and fingers on top is there a good reason to relearn the other throwing grip? (thumb on top)
Michael,

Nice grass. Are the trees in Texas losing their leaves already? Up here in Kansas, most of the trees are just starting to change in to their fall colors.

What does the 1% throttle mix with the elevator do?

I tried thumb-on-bottom and thumb-on-top side arm launching with no real difference. Thumb-on-top frisbee style launching got me ~15+ feet higher launches than either of those. I finally added a launch peg and discus launch it now, (more of a wind up and throw, not a running discus launch). This got me ~15'+ over the frisbee style launch. I would guess my average launch height is ~70'+.

Mark
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I'm a thumb on top, wind-up-side-arm kind of guy. Thumb on bottom just feels awkward. I dorked mine nose first the other afternoon and noticed I've got a large crack in the fuse at the leading edge. Does anybody know if White Gorilla Glue works OK on this foam?
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet