HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2014, 12:17 AM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
333 Posts
Discussion
Arcus F3A 1 meter airplane

Does anyone have experience with the subject airplane? I saw that several NSRCA pilots are taking about buying one. I have one on order, but wonder if changes or special things need to be done to get one to fly well.

Larry Fitch
LRFitch is online now Find More Posts by LRFitch
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,093 Posts
It's a good one. Highly recommend. There is a thread here somewhere and the plane is thoroughly discussed, including recommendations for carbon props etc.

Mine arrived in perfect condition, all linkages tight and all servos very smooth with perfect centering (USA warehouse HK). Others have not been as fortunate, so i wonder if the one i got is a version 2 with some improved linkages and servo.

only change i made was to swap the prop to an APC of the same size as it fit the hub better and ran more balanced. Also, be sure to manually flex the control surfaces prior to connecting the control rods, until they move with reduced resistance.

I'll search around for the link and post it here when I find it.

Ciao!
E
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; May 03, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old May 03, 2014, 09:36 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,093 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=arcus

Looks like the plane had another name initially.

A couple of the guys posting in this thread are pretty well respected in terms of filtering out the great from the average. I've never gone wrong following 3Deranged's recommendations and set ups :-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old May 05, 2014, 11:56 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
333 Posts
Arcus arrived today

My Arcus arrived this afternoon, and took about 1 1/2 hours to assemble completely. It appears to be a cute little airplane. I charged the 4s 2300mah LiPo battery and set all the servo travels and directions. However the ESC doesn't seem to work. The BEC part of the ESC is working, as it powers up all the servos and the receiver just fine. On startup, the ESC beeps several times, but have no idea what it is trying to tell me. The Assemble Manual doesn't address the ESC and what the beeps mean. I'll try to find a manual for the ESC and see what I can figure. Has anyone else had a similar problem with theirs?

Larry
LRFitch is online now Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old May 13, 2014, 07:10 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,930 Posts
What brand radio are you using?
In another forum discussing this airplane/ESC, it was mentioned that Futaba radios need to have the servo polarity reversed; the ESC will think you are powering up at full throttle and then fail to start properly.
Reversing the signal polarity fixes that issue.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old May 13, 2014, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRFitch View Post
Does anyone have experience with the subject airplane? I saw that several NSRCA pilots are taking about buying one. I have one on order, but wonder if changes or special things need to be done to get one to fly well.

Larry Fitch
Hey Larry,

Everybody is on the other thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...031216&page=10

which has lots of good info with Jon Lowe, etc., chiming in. Please close this thread unless you have a unique issue that you feel would be better served here.

Thanks,

Bill P.
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Last edited by HouseOf4Doors; May 13, 2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Burgeoning stupendance
Old May 13, 2014, 08:21 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,190 Posts
If you're serious about your pattern ships then upgrade the linkage rods on one end to clevis/or ball links and add carbon tube over the thin wire to stiffen it up. A 4s 1800mah pack is great especially if you want to repower it to a 4s ship, If you want strong vertical uplines then 4s is the way to go without working the motor/ESC /battery too much. If you can tolerate the stock servos fine, if you want to upgrade the MKS DS6100's are perfect. Some of the stock servos seem to center and others don't. Luck of the draw I quess. A Falcon carbon 12 x 6 or 13 x 6.5 or Xoar woodie is a great upgrade prop. Blake added a Cobra 2820-14 and a CC 50 Ice ESC. Works great! Since he is a former NSRCA district and NATS
champ, when he says it flies right then I gotta believe him. Sweet little pattern machine!
Ozone Shuttle Pro AKA Hobby King Arcus F3A (6 min 20 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRFitch View Post

Larry Fitch
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:12 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
184 Posts
Have plenty of flights with this plane now. Just does what it should, and goes where I guide it.
Just goes vertical on 4S. Tracks straight and true.
peterreebok is offline Find More Posts by peterreebok