Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 03, 2005, 01:43 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Trans Atlantic Elke with a tale

To cut a long story short... 27 years or so ago I bought and mostly built a Graupner 'Elke'. For many years it was displayed at my parents house, then spent several more years in my loft near Sheffield, England awaiting a refit which never came.

Two years ago I moved to live in Wisconsin, USA and my Elke was palmed off on a friend to try to sell for me. Well he never got a sensible offer so while visiting England last month conversation turned to bringing my old Elke 'home'.

So a cardboard box was purchased, packaging accumulated and the decision to de-mast the Elke taken. So, the same box now containing all sorts of other goodies too was presented to BMI check-in at Manchester. No problems there, and to my great relief a totally unscathed and un-crushed box wended it's merry way around the carousel at the other end in Chicago!

Renovation is underway, the masts are erected again and the electrics being sorted out... try to remember how a rats nest works after 27 years! Some more photos to follow but first here she is after arrival, still de-masted...

Graham
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2005, 09:03 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,356 Posts
Looks great. Now I see where Hobbico got the Aquacraft/Bristol Bay design from!
Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 03, 2005, 11:25 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Funny you should say that, I saw a photo of the 'Bristol Bay' for the first time the other day and thought... That's an Elke! I thought maybe it was the same mouldings but the Elke is only 26" long and 7" beam, somewhat smaller. In the details the Bristol Bay is certainly simplified too, as to be expected in a RTR I guess. Both make a pretty boat and certainly appear to be based on the same design of boat.

Problem 1. A couple of the Graupner turnbuckles for the standing rigging are missing. Anyone know what would be a closer to scale attactment to the deck if I were to remove all of the turnbuckles?

My knowledge of full size fishing vessels is scratchy at best!

Thanks.... Graham
Old May 03, 2005, 01:21 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,356 Posts
Do they look like this?

Harbor Models has them, original Graupner parts.
http://harbormodels.com/Harbormain/T...urnbuckles.htm

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 04, 2005, 12:26 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Hi Pat M... no they are more of a square pattern but thanks for that. I have found them on the Hobby Lobby site as a Graupner item... $22 for 10... eeks!

But... when I unrolled the sailcloth another turnbuckle dropped out of there, so I am now just one short. I have enough to complete the symetrical rigging of the masts to the side deck so I am going to fake one with some brass tubing for the foresail to stem attachment... a lucky escape.

In the detail shot below you can see a couple of these turnbuckles in the foreground. The white band on the rear mast is a ring if tinplate cut from the handle of a cheap paintbrush and used as a collar to strengthen the butt joint where the mast was re-attached. Painted white and weathered a little. In my original build I did add quite a bit of extra detail. Cabin doors open to interior detail including a chart table with chart and tea mug.

Second photo is as of tonight with the masts erected and rigging started.

Graham
Old May 04, 2005, 10:37 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
Graham, this is a wonderful story! 27 years? I think you are going to be enormously thrilled to see your boat on the water!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 09, 2005, 10:57 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
27 years... that's kinda scarey! Well faking the turnbuckle worked out ok and I have seamed and stained (good old English tea and a little coffee so they smell nice) the sails. Just adding detail now as I go.

Your opinion please... there are two sizes of rigging blocks and it is not made clear in the instructions where to use the larger ones and where to use the small ones. Logic suggests to me that the larger ones should be low down, used to control the booms in particular, the haevy work. Leaving the smaller ones to be used at the head of the sails on the uphauls. Would you agree, or does anyone know for sure?

Graham
Old May 11, 2005, 01:23 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I've built alot of sailing ships and you are right the small ones go up the larg ones go down, this is one of four I still have. lol
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach