HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
SOS
Steve
Joined Sep 2007
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice on what prop to use. I’ll pick up an APC and a collet adaptor at the LHS. I’m still curious to know if the folder prop would work with the stock motor. It has the same blade length and pitch as the APC you mentioned. If anyone has experience regarding this, please let me know. Sarge, did you try the folder on a stock motor? Anyways, I found a flat washer that just fits flush in one of those mold recesses on the bottom of the wing—and now the ES is perfectly balanced. I’ll probably remove it after the ES starts its collection of packing tape, glue, bailing wire, etc. Regards, SOS
SOS is offline Find More Posts by SOS
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi SOS,

A folding prop will definitely make it glide better. But if your first go round with the EZ is anything like mine was.... the LAST thing you'll be wishing for is to want it to glide better!!!

The first dozen or so flights with mine, I'd line it up 100-200 yards away from me at about 6 feet off the deck, and figured I'd just cut the power and let it float in.

It kept sailing right past me about 4 feet high with no power, and had no INTENTION of coming in and settling on the ground. I'd run out of room and have to power up and go around for another attempt.

The first time you bring that EZ in for a landing, you'll see what I mean about it being born to fly.

Folding prop hell, you'll be wishing you had a way to reverse the prop direction to act as an air brake... LOL

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:38 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi SOS,

A folding prop will definitely make it glide better. But if your first go round with the EZ is anything like mine was.... the LAST thing you'll be wishing for is to want it to glide better!!!

The first dozen or so flights with mine, I'd line it up 100-200 yards away from me at about 6 feet off the deck, and figured I'd just cut the power and let it float in.

It kept sailing right past me about 4 feet high with no power, and had no INTENTION of coming in and settling on the ground. I'd run out of room and have to power up and go around for another attempt.

The first time you bring that EZ in for a landing, you'll see what I mean about it being born to fly.

Folding prop hell, you'll be wishing you had a way to reverse the prop direction to act as an air brake... LOL

Chuck
Ha Ha, yeah, I FINALLY got out my EZ* kit and started the build, I have been sitting on this kit for over 3 months and lurking on this thread all that time...

no batt, no motor, no radio, no servos, taped the fuse together, stuck the wings in, taped the tail, stuck some weight in nose to balance and went out to test glide....

BARELY tossed it and it went a good 75 ft. dead level and looked like it would glide forever. WOW it's gonna be hard to bring it in for a real landing. Can't wait for my brushless setup to get here.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:56 PM
SOS
Steve
Joined Sep 2007
7 Posts
You guys are cracking me up!! LOL. Sounds like I need to hold off on the folder and maybe install a small drag chute…Now there’s an idea…For those times when the EZ can’t seem to miss the trees, cut power and pop the chute!!?? SOS
SOS is offline Find More Posts by SOS
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS
You guys are cracking me up!! LOL. Sounds like I need to hold off on the folder and maybe install a small drag chute…Now there’s an idea…For those times when the EZ can’t seem to miss the trees, cut power and pop the chute!!?? SOS
Hee Hee Hee, thats funny! drag chute ha ha. actually not a bad idea ROFLMAO
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:22 AM
Aiming Higher....
High Wycombe, UK
Joined Apr 2007
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi SOS,

Chuck
Hi NoFlyZone,

I totally agree with your comments regarding landing space. When I maidened mine I did exactly as you said: lined her up, cut power then watched her sail straight past me and I waved bye-bye as she headed out for the North Pole. Finally, I had to apply elevator for a rather undignified "landing". That's when I decided right there and then to barrel-wrap her nose. Now, my EZ* is fully armoured up front with 3M cross-weave packing tape. That should help keep her together while I work on my technique.

Beginners take note: Do not underestimate the space you will need around you to fly this bird. The EZ* is a great design that's very forgiving - but she wants to stay up. With more space you buy yourself precious time to react. Believe me, time races by as you approach a solid object like a tree or a fence!

Vic
vipervic is offline Find More Posts by vipervic
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:30 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
België, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Usually I'm making a low circle just before landing to get the speed out, it works very well.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:18 PM
Johnal
Costa Mesa
Joined Jul 2006
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act
Usually I'm making a low circle just before landing to get the speed out, it works very well.
That's the approach I find myself taking as well. But even with low wind speeds, random gusts can make it a little scary. In the end, giving yourself plenty of room seems to be the way to go.
SntaCruz83 is offline Find More Posts by SntaCruz83
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
and with that p*ss poor stock rudder trying the classic newbie manuever of immediately chopping power and turning upwind(HAH with a stock rudder), and you are straight on that sucker SAILS!!!..

gwen
gwenhastings is offline Find More Posts by gwenhastings
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:36 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
A123 Battery for the EZ

I found a 2 cell A123 Battery on eBay for under 40 bucks so I decided to try it out.

Here is some information about the battery as background. I'm also in luck because my Cell Pro charger has an automatic setting for the A123's and a balance tap to boot.

"The huge current delivery capability of these cells allows you to gear higher and achieve the same speed as you would get with 7.4V, but with all the advantages of Li-Ion (Li-Fe) chemistry - no fire danger, very relaxed charging and discharging requirements and lightweight.

Deans ultra plug is fitted as shown in photos using 12GA Ultra Deans Silicone wire .

It has a balance wire from the junction of the two cells if you need to check balance. No balance connector is attached.

Inherently safe chemistry will not explode or catch fire
- Twice the cycle life of competitive Li-poly batteries, More than 1000 Cycles
- 50% more power (up to 60C burst) than competitive Li-poly batteries
- Fast charge capable - reach 100% state-of-charge in less than 15 minutes
- Completely Charged at 3.6v per cell, Avoid discharging below 2.0 volts per cell. "

Type: Lithium Ion
Capacity: 2300 mAh
Voltage: 6.6v
Connector Type: Deans Ultra
Number of Cells: 2
Weight: 155g (5.46746 oz )
Configuration: 2S1P
Dimensions (LxD): 135mm (5.31) Long x 28mm ( 1.10") in Diameter
Maximum Continuous Discharge : 30C
Maximum Burst Discharge : 60C
Maximum Continuous Current : 69A (138A Pulse)

1.10"x5.31" pretty big for (2) cells, however, you can see it in the pictures that it's not too much bigger than a 3S TP 2100. I was really impressed how fast the Cell Pro puts a charge on the battery. There are reports that it will charge up in 15 minutes.

I did some bench testing (see the pictures) the wattmeter reads low 66 watts which is nothing like 200+ watts with a 3S 2100 lipo. The 66 watts is enough to fly the EZ. On the bench test all the components remained "cool" to the touch.

I'll update this post as I learn a little more about this battery.

11/21/07: A123 tests. I was able to test my (2) cell A123 battery in the EZ. With the Mega 16/15/4 the A123 battery was fine, however, the power was rather modest like the same as using a 6 cell nimh. A (3) cell a123 would be great for a 16/15/4 (2200kv) or similar motor. A (2) cell A123 might be a good compination with a Mega 16/15/3 (3000kv) or a Neu 1105 (3000 kv) powering an APC 6x4e prop. It would be hard to fit a 3 cell 2600 A123 battery in the EZ cockpit and there would be not much room for anything else.

I have found the perfect home for the (2) cell A123 on an Omega 1.8e Sailplane. I have the battery providing power for a Typhoon 15 Outrunner with a Aeronaut CAM 11 x 8 folding prop. Draws about 18-20 amps when testing with the Wattmeter. Nice, real nice. I can leave the battery in the plane and it charges up full in less than 15 minutes.

If power to weight performance is important to you then I'd stick with to lipos for now. Lipo technology has beem improving with batteries now having higher C ratings and charge input levels.

Sarge
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; May 21, 2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:06 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
my brushless set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky
guys I'm going to buy a mega motor for a new ez... I see many models here http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mega_brushless.htm , what is the good one for 3s lipo? what prop ?
I want good performance but I don't need super climbs, just a good climb when needed. Better for me to have more minutes of flight...

Thanks

Hey Zagu,
in case you're still looking for a brushless set-up, here is mine:
400F Outrunner motor - cap mount
25amp ESC - mounted on top of the fuselage in the airflow just above the CG to keep it cool.
6x5.5E APC prop
11.1v 2100mah lipo - pushed all the way forward in the nose.
this is perfect CG

This will give you unlimited vertical climb. easy 700 ft into the clouds.

some threads will say to use a 5x3 prop - i've tried it, but the 6x5.5 has a lot more thrust, but will pull more amps. that's why i mounted the ESC on top of the fuselage.

this is where i got mine for $60....http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=281

i will post pics if interested.
cmarcar is offline Find More Posts by cmarcar
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarcar
Hey Zagu,
in case you're still looking for a brushless set-up, here is mine:
400F Outrunner motor - cap mount
25amp ESC - mounted on top of the fuselage in the airflow just above the CG to keep it cool.
6x5.5E APC prop
11.1v 2100mah lipo - pushed all the way forward in the nose.
this is perfect CG

This will give you unlimited vertical climb. easy 700 ft into the clouds.

some threads will say to use a 5x3 prop - i've tried it, but the 6x5.5 has a lot more thrust, but will pull more amps. that's why i mounted the ESC on top of the fuselage.

this is where i got mine for $60....http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=281

i will post pics if interested.
Hi Zagu,

Could you list what motor you are using?

Thanks,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 06, 2007, 01:46 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
I ordered an ARC 28-27-4 from LightFlight one month ago, never received it.. I'll wait few more days then I'll give up, in the meanwhile I started a new Moviestar, ready in few days... and I finished my VideoCularis for FPV. Images coming soon...
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Oct 06, 2007, 02:22 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
EasyStar Hand Catch 1 (0 min 19 sec)

EasyStar Hand Catch 2 (0 min 19 sec)

EasyStar Hand Catch 3 (0 min 20 sec)

Worth practicing, as you may need it one day !

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Oct 08, 2007, 08:03 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
...Worth practicing, as you may need it one day !

Adam
Adam, nice catches! Are you catching the EZ on the nose of the fuse?

Is it better to catch the plane on the nose of the fuse or on a wing?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines