HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:25 AM
Joined May 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
retractable vtx omni antenna

hi guys... just a little thing i made that greatly improved the video on my x8 wing covered with ultracote chrome
arnauddecotter is offline Find More Posts by arnauddecotter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:31 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,990 Posts
Why and when would you retract it?
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:56 PM
Joined May 2014
5 Posts
I would retract it for landing.. it will come out as soon as I lauch the plane. The antenna is pointing vertical down when extracted.. because it is at the bottom of the plane. Instead on top of it. You get always clear line of sight signal from it. There is no shadowing the signal by the fuselage
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:30 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
152 Posts
That's cool. Wouldn't think you'd get much shadowing passing vtx through foam though. Where you having issues? Has this improved your range any?

-p
peter.braswell is offline Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Aug 16, 2014, 05:46 PM
Joined Jul 2004
503 Posts
I'm just about to do the same thing on my ES*. I just opened a thread over on FPVLab and someone kindly directed me here.

Flying out 8km+ is no problem at all...it's just when you turn 180 deg to come back the motor, camera, battery etc blocks a clear LOS for antenna.
How do you find it works?
Cadders
cadders is offline Find More Posts by cadders
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:51 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
429 Posts
tried wingtip mount? there shouldn't be much block from there
modelerchina is offline Find More Posts by modelerchina
Last edited by modelerchina; Aug 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:51 AM
Joined May 2014
5 Posts
it made a massive difference,, because the antena is directly mounted to the vtx, thus reducing any rf loss from the cable if mounted on the wing,, yes the signal goes through foam,, but not through all the stuff in the canopy,,motor,, battery.esc,,etc etc, having it under the plane at its centerline.. keeps it direct los to ur vrx, as long as you dont turn to tight.. a longer antenna would be even better.... just make sure u retract it back on landing... btw the X8 is just a awesome plane.. so much space and so stable..