Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:32 PM
Getting good at foam repair
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Help!
Water Damage to ESC/Motor

HI Team,

So I was running my 1/10 Baja Buggy on grass in the park and it hit a massive puddle hidden in long grass! Pretty much submerged all the electrics.

The car made it out of the puddle under it's own power then the power shut off completely.

I took it home, let dry for an hour and plugged back in only to find the rx was waterlogged. Took the rx apart, dried with absorbent towel, rebind and it's all OK now.

So the current problem....
I have power to steering servo and the red light flashes on the ESC, but no motor drive. The ESC manual says the flashing light and two consecutive beeps indicates the ESC can't find the normal throttle range.

I tried to enter programming mode of ESC via throttle maxing to resent range but it won't enter prog mode.

Any other tips and tricks? Or is it apparent something is seriously shagged and needs replacement?

Setup:
3650 size brushless inrunner (was submerged in puddle, no water evident on the outside and no loose grass in the pinion gear etc)
35A Brushless ESC - Has a clear case and I can't see any water in the case. cooling fan still works fine.

I read a few forums that suggested letting dry for a few days then all should be OK
GTrain is offline Find More Posts by GTrain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:05 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,426 Posts
It could be too late, but the best to do when having "water issues" is indeed patience. I understand the urge to see asap if things are still ok, so most common action is to dry it out manually as best a possible, then try everything. But trying too soon could cause even more damage. I'm with the "leave it for a while, to dry out better" suggestion. You can put the components on a heater, or use a hair dryer on low temp setting to accelerate the process, but patience is the word here.

If then still the ESC doesn't work but the steering does, swith the servo cables on the receiver, so the steering wheel controls the throttle. To rule out a burnt out receiver channel. Make sure you test with wheels off the ground, you don't want you car to run off when switching on.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Righto I'll give that a go.... Tomorrow after I leave it out in the sun for a while

Ta!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Do like with a cell phone I droped in the river, put in it a bowl of un cooked rice, compleatly covered in the rice for 2 days. The rice literally pulls moisture out hopefully saving your electronics. Worked for my phone that spend a good 45 seconds submerged in a foot of water.
wehan is offline Find More Posts by wehan
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Ok new information! Plugged the motor via esc to channel 1 on the Rx and turning the steering made the motor work

I guess the problem is channel 2 on the rx
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:51 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,426 Posts
Maybe there is still a drop of water somewhere near the channel 2 plug. The suggestion to use rice is also an option, as it more or less "draws" water from it's surroundings.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member