Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Discussion
DX8 Timer causes transmitter to lock up, sort of

I've been using the DX8's throttle activated count down timer for awhile now and it worked great and I loved it. It would count down, give a brief beep at -1 minute and then beep/vibrate at 0. It would then reverse and count upward, buzzing every minute. Super awesome.

I updated the firmware and now instead it do the first part fine, but at 0 it beeps and vibrates forever and the menu interface is locked up and unusable. Rolling the wheel will *very* briefly flash the information page, but only briefly enough to see that it changed.

It still continues to function as a transmitter, just a very loud and vibrating one that I can't fix except for turning it off.

Anyone seen this issue?

While I blame it on the firmware update, I did the firmware update weeks ago... but never really used the transmitter afterward. And I've only flown models that I added *after* the update.

I'll try it switched to an old model and see if they still work.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Last edited by fryfrog; Oct 10, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
So you are running AirWare 2.06 and when the timer counts down to Zero the radio alarms and can't be stop ? Timer won't count up either ?
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
So you are running AirWare 2.06 and when the timer counts down to Zero the radio alarms and can't be stop ? Timer won't count up either ?
Exactly, the display just stops updating and the transmitter vibrates / beeps the whole time.

I'll try some experiments tonight, I'll try w/o vib and w/o beep. I'll also try an model entry from before the update.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
More important try on a blank new fresh model.

I can't reproduce your issue using DX8 with Airware 2.06

For testing I set the timer to Tone/Vibe, countdown and 0:10 just for testing.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
More important try on a blank new fresh model.

I can't reproduce your issue using DX8 with Airware 2.06

For testing I set the timer to Tone/Vibe, countdown and 0:10 just for testing.
I've actually only really tested it on a new model, though not quite blank since I setup a bunch of values for the new models.

I upgraded my DX8, but then didn't use it for a few weeks until I got a 130X and an nCP X, at which point I made new model entries and setup the timers along with everything else.

I'll also shoot a quick video.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
Video will say a lot.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Okay, I was *slightly* wrong about the behavior. The count down timer does appear to still be counting up and pressing the reset button seems to restart the timer. But it never stops beeping/vibrating.

DX8 Doesn't Stop Beeping (1 min 23 sec)

Edit: The video should be rotated in a few minutes, once youtube finishes my edits.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:59 AM
Certified Propellerhead
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2001
314 Posts
That video explains it. When the vibe goes off, you just happen to get a low battery warning too. That warning is then "hidden" behind the timer, and thus can't be dismissed.
Charge your transmitter and it should work just fine.
Mikael Pedersen is offline Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:32 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Pedersen View Post
That video explains it. When the vibe goes off, you just happen to get a low battery warning too. That warning is then "hidden" behind the timer, and thus can't be dismissed.
Some solutions to a "problem" could be sooo easy ......... even the screen of the tx says it: "low battery warning" .......

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Last edited by udogigahertz; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:20 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz View Post
Some solutions to a "problem" could be sooo easy ......... even the screen of the tx says it: "low battery warning" ....... but before switching on the own brain, first blame the transmitter ...... and ask in a forum worldwide.

Udo
Come on, don't be nasty! That's a little unfair. I'm sure he wouldn't have gone to the trouble of posting a topic and then a video if he knew it was that the low battery warning was to blame.

Also to be fair, the low battery warning is only shown very briefly - if you blink you'll miss it! After the warning, there is no visual indication on the screen (apart from the voltage reading) that the low battery warning alarm is going off. In fact the battery level icon states that there is still around 1/4 of battery left! Certainly if I was flying and not looking at the screen (hence missed the popup warning), I'd have no idea that it was the battery warning going off. Is this the normal behaviour of Spektrum systems? When he pushes the buttons it appears something tries to appear on the screen and then is cancelled. Is the lack of continuous low battery warning on the screen a bug when the timer is triggered?

I would imagine that as the vibrate motor is being driven when the timer ends, that's a sufficient load to pull the voltage of the battery down enough to trigger the low battery warning. Hence why the low battery warning is only triggered when the timer is triggered.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:36 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
@ fryfrog - As you can see from the above posts if you read them that what you are experiencing is the Low Battery Alarm being triggered.

Charge your TX battery and this should all go away and the timer will work as it should.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,394 Posts
The shame would be to not learn from this experience...
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Pedersen View Post
I put the transmitter on charge immediately after filming, I did see the low battery warning message. I was about to reply and say that the two times this happened previously the battery was fully charged, I swear I just unhooked it from the charger and walked outside, and that it was unrelated, but since I was flying and not looking down I wouldn't have seen the message. Also, it was long enough ago that I'll freely admit my memory isn't good enough to be sure.

But to be sure, I just went out and tried it again. It behaves exactly as expected with a full battery, so clearly I was wrong about it being charged for the earlier flights.

I still think this is an issue and a bug, but it isn't as big a deal as I thought.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the video, I'm glad it turned out to be a super easy "fix."
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
I put the transmitter on charge immediately after filming, I did see the low battery warning message. I was about to reply and say that the two times this happened previously the battery was fully charged and that it was unrelated.

But to be sure, I just went out and tried it again. It behaves exactly as expected with a full battery.

I still think this is an issue and a bug, but it isn't as big a deal as I thought.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the video, I'm glad it turned out to be a super easy "fix."
If it was an issue, considering the date the latest Airware was released and the amount of people who own the radio and post here, it would of been mentioned by now since most use the timer. Not be able to stop the timer is a pretty big thing and would of surely been posted already.

Just glad it's working for you now.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
No no, I mean the issue is the behavior when your timer goes down and you happen have a low battery warning. It should show the low battery warning instead of looking like a frozen transmitter that is beeping and vibrating.

If the low battery warning had been displayed after I landed the first time it happened, I'd have never made the post. And since turning the radio off and on again (stopping the pager motor from drawing extra current) fixed it, it *looks* very much like a bug (but isn't, as proven above).

I do imagine it is a pretty short threshold though, the battery has to be high enough not to trigger the low battery warning, but low enough that running the vibration motor brings it down below the trigger threshold.