HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Getting my “vintage” RC10T running again....

Hello ladies and gents… first post and eager to get my “vintage” RC10T running again that I built as a kid 20 years ago…!

I have it running but I remember when I was a kid and the same holds today that the truck will only run 15 min or so. I am running a 7 cell 3000mah battery, Novak 610RV and a Triad motor (not too sure on details there as the sticker has come off over the years).

My neighbor is into heli’s and has mentioned brushless motors and thinks I can get 30 – 45 min run times for just a few bucks but I have no idea where to start. He has some ESC’s that I can have but I need a motor to fit in the truck.

Where do I start? I know there are some good sites to go to especially offshore for great process but again I need to know what to look for to start.

I see a lot had changed over the years in this hobby but with a 2 year old eager to get it running so he can play with it soon as well... not to mention myself.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Tom R.
tommyral is offline Find More Posts by tommyral
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
You won't be able to use a heli ESC, but you can get budget motor/esc combos for a good price.

Something like this will really wake up the old truck:

http://www.hobbyhot.com/LEOPARD-SKYR...mbo-ME718.html

You'll need a lipo battery to really get power out of it though, old nimh packs just can't flow enough current.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:39 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
I would suggest something other than a vintage car that is hard to find parts for a 2 yr old to drive.

I started out my one kid at 2.5yrs old on a Losi Mini-T (1/18th scale) at the time....
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:52 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
Yeah, missed the part about a 2 year old... It'll be FAR too fast with a brushless motor for a 2 year old.

IMO, you'd be better off with something you can get parts for like Y2kGTP suggested.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kGTP View Post
I would suggest something other than a vintage car that is hard to find parts for a 2 yr old to drive.

I started out my one kid at 2.5yrs old on a Losi Mini-T (1/18th scale) at the time....
that is quite awesome and vintage is not as tough as todays rtr set ups
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlererad3 View Post
that is quite awesome and vintage is not as tough as todays rtr set ups
RC10's (and the RC10 based trucks later) were pretty durable, as mostly all aluminum. I still have mine. (Torn apart now to rebuild again one day) However the chassis is easily tweaked, and the transmission can't take too much power. The differential and slipper are one and the same on the spur gear.

Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
The diff isn't really a slipper, using it like one will definitely wear it out really fast.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The diff isn't really a slipper, using it like one will definitely wear it out really fast.
It was designed to slip a little bit, to save the internal gears. However a High powered brushless would prob not last long in the buggy/truck. The stealth trans
or original MIP would do much better with a separate slipper than the diff.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
I have my original rc10t. looks like i am better off selling it to someone who wants it for collecting. Mine is in pretty good shape. Are parts hard to get for it?
backpacker is offline Find More Posts by backpacker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:55 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,426 Posts
Best source is probably eBay.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member